++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

It states it very clearly at the top of every legion formation page. Granted not all detachments are able to give out the bonuses as they are worded, but the term and raptor one are able to.

I'm missing the part where it says this. All I can see is in the raptor formation it says 'this formation can deep strike and disordered charge'' (or word to that effect). The terminator formation is a separate formation entirely.

The decurion style sheet is a list of formations that combines to make a detachment no? And then gains the bonuses for being an iron warriors decurion?

One brother Warsmith has heeded the call to fight Perturabo's enemies in the Inspiration Friday challenge, but our foes still outnumber us. Will the Lords of Medrengard send him reinforcements? Time is running out!

I'll be doing my best to write something tomorrow... in the mean time, I'm astonished just how little time I actually have, despite being on holiday...

One brother Warsmith has heeded the call to fight Perturabo's enemies in the Inspiration Friday challenge, but our foes still outnumber us. Will the Lords of Medrengard send him reinforcements? Time is running out!

just threw something together in half an hour to please your wish, fellow Warsmith. :wink:

I'll be doing my best to write something tomorrow... in the mean time, I'm astonished just how little time I actually have, despite being on holiday...

Nothing fancy or long is required. If you, or anyone else considering it, is stuck for lack of ideas, just write up your warband's basic description, or how your Warsmith got his nickname, or pick your favorite model to write about. An intro, conflict, and resolution is a bonus but not necessarily required. A narrative description of a tabletop game is always a go-to source of inspiration.

Praise be to the Primarch and his loyal sons of iron!

It states it very clearly at the top of every legion formation page. Granted not all detachments are able to give out the bonuses as they are worded, but the term and raptor one are able to.

I'm missing the part where it says this. All I can see is in the raptor formation it says 'this formation can deep strike and disordered charge'' (or word to that effect). The terminator formation is a separate formation entirely.

The decurion style sheet is a list of formations that combines to make a detachment no? And then gains the bonuses for being an iron warriors decurion?

pg 88 of Traitor Legions

"Although units cannot normally belong to more than one Detachment, units from a Formation that is part of a Grand Company are an exception. They count as part of both their Formation and the Detachment, and have all associated Command Benefits and special rules. If your Warlod is part of a Formation or an Army List Entry that makes up part of a Grand Company, the entire Grand Company is your Primary Detachment."

Every Legion entry has this written in it (changed only slightly in name for each Legion of course).

What inspiration Friday challenge?

The weekly/bi-weekly fiction writing challenges. This iteration's theme is Iron Warriors. See this post for more details, including a link to the contest.

So far we've got one true son of Perturabo contributing, one wayward son of Perturabo who remained loyal to Terra, and the rest slaves to the Black Legion. Definitely we need some more love for the IVth before the deadline!

What inspiration Friday challenge?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317935-inspiration-friday-2016-iron-warriors-until-1216/

The inspiration Friday topic where member who enjoy writing background have set challenge & themes.

Edit - Also, anyone take part in Call of Chaos.  How are the vows getting on & will they be complete for tomorrow.  As always please post photos of any Iron Warrior related vows on here, be really cool to see them :biggrin.:

Edited by Insane Psychopath

pg 88 of Traitor Legions

"Although units cannot normally belong to more than one Detachment, units from a Formation that is part of a Grand Company are an exception. They count as part of both their Formation and the Detachment, and have all associated Command Benefits and special rules. If your Warlod is part of a Formation or an Army List Entry that makes up part of a Grand Company, the entire Grand Company is your Primary Detachment."

Every Legion entry has this written in it (changed only slightly in name for each Legion of course).

Let me translate.

"Usually, you can only benefit from the rules of being part of one Detachment. However, a decurion means that formations get to count as being both part of that Formation and the decurion as a whole. If your Warlord is anywhere in the decurion, it counts as your primary detachment."

No part of it implies that you get the special rules of other Formations as a freebie.

Let's take a Black Crusade detachment as an example (the paragraph in Traitor's Hate is worded in exactly the same way). All units in the Detachment gain the Path to Glory, Death to the False Emperor and Lord of Chaos special rules. Raptor Talons get the Raptor Talon bonus rules (Predatory Warriors and Cacophonic War Cries) and the Detachment bonuses, unlike a Raptor Talon bought as a standalone Detachment, which will only receive the Raptor Talon bonuses. Now add a Terminator Annihilation Force. It has the Targeted for Annihilation and Target Updated special rules, plus the Detachment bonuses, but it doesn't get any of the Raptor Talon bonuses, because none of the units in it are part of the Raptor Talon Formation, and thus its "associated Command Benefits and special rules" are Targeted for Annihilation, Target Updated, Path to Glory, Death to the False Emperor, and Lord of Chaos.

In other words:

BLACK CRUSADE DETACHMENT: Path to Glory, Death to the False Emperor, Lord of Chaos

CHAOS WARBAND: Path to Glory, Death to the False Emperor, Lord of Chaos, Objective Secured, Favoured Scions

RAPTOR TALON: Path to Glory, Death to the False Emperor, Lord of Chaos, Predatory Warriors, Cacophonic War Cries

TERMINATOR ANNIHILATION FORCE: Path to Glory, Death to the False Emperor, Lord of Chaos, Targeted for Annihilation, Target Updated

So no, no Terminator DS/shoot/shoot/charge shenanigans.

Three angry robots into the fray. :wink:

More pictures -including multiple angle shots of them - can be found HERE in my WIP log. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/WP_20161214_011%202_zpsxjf4738u.jpg

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I just thought the Robots would make amazing alternatives to the Obliterators....

Has anyone tried list building with the new Iron Warriors rules yet? I've come up with a couple of lists here

Double CaD 2000 points

CAD1

HQ - Sorcerer lvl 3, bike, Familiar Exoskeleton

1 Troops - 1 Obliterator

2 Troops - 1 Obliterator

3 Troops - 1 Obliterator

4 Troops - 1 Obliterator

5 Troops - 1 Obliterator

6 Troops - 1 Obliterator

FA1 - 3 Bikes with 2 Meltaguns

FA2 - 3 Bikes with 2 Meltaguns

FA3 - 3 Bikes with 2 Meltaguns

HS - Maulerfiend with Magma Cutters

CAD 2

HQ - Sorcerer lvl 3, bike, Familiar, Cranium Malevalous, Sigil

1 Troops - 2 Obliterators

2 Troops - 2 Obliterators

3 Troops - 1 Obliterator

4 Troops - 1 Obliterator

5 Troops - 1 Obliterator

6 Troops - 1 Obliterator

So this gives 14 Obliterators, 9 Bikes and 3 Maulerfiends. Lots of Sorcery. It can be on you quick, lots of MSU so not easily shifted

Edited by Iron_Within

I never even thought about it, but no joke, those are great alternative to oblits. You did a great job painting them too. Gives me an excuse to pick a set up, not big on oblits and my theoretical army goes a completely different direction as my 30k legion is mass terminators and marines with heavy transports. But there is room for a squad or so for sure.

Thanks, you two.

About using them as Oblisterators: unfortunately they are way, WAY too big for that. They stand  a head taller than a contemptor dreadnought! :ohmy.: 

Here's a comparative photo I took (quick snap, so forgive the focus and lightning)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpsktvtmnua.jpg

On the other hand, the GW Castellan Robots could actually be a good alternative Obliterator.

Hidden Content
99120116005_AdMechKastelanRobots01.jpg

ALso Iron_within, that's a pretty beefy list indeed. But only for Maelstrom missions. In Eternal War missions you'll suffer. Oblits are instant death'd with S8 and with kill points, easy targets like that will put you at a huge disadvantage.  :thumbsup:

ALso Iron_within, that's a pretty beefy list indeed. But only for Maelstrom missions. In Eternal War missions you'll suffer. Oblits are instant death'd with S8 and with kill points, easy targets like that will put you at a huge disadvantage.  :thumbsup:

I normally agree, but with the list Iron_within had put together thats not a huge concern. 

If your opponent is using S8 weapons on the Oblits, then they are not using them on the tougher units! And in the ones and twos he has them in, if they stay in cover and with the 2+ 5++ saves they have its not like someone will be able to use one lascannon dev squad to kill 4 squads. Its going to have to shoot at one Oblit and at that point Instant death isnt a huge issue as statistics say that you will be taking 2 wounds anyway. 

That's a really good point, Uveron. I retract my objection :smile.:

I'd be terrified to face that list, actually. Iron_Within, are you going to run the sorcerers with the bike squads or as Obliterator boosters? Which Psychic disciplines are you planning on using with them?

(warning, a bit of rambling, i would appreciate feedback on my thoughts)

So i was planning on doing black legion with my normal, spiky, chaos marines...but one of my friends just gave me the terminators and tacticals out of the prospero box...these sculpts are beautiful, and when i see that helmet and the armor set up, all i can see is iron warriors.  Looks like i might be selling my spiky marines for (less) spiky iron warriors.  6+ fnp is pretty good, but oblit (and mutilator too i guess) troops and tank hunters is AMAZING to me.  Not being able to take the daemon engine pack is kind of annoying, but the hellforged warpack is pretty good too (really would've loved bs 5 forgefiends though...).  as for the relics, warpbreacher (i'd likely never use), nest of mecha serpants (maybe?) .  axe of the forge master seems pretty interesting.  It's the same cost as a power fist, but trades 3 strength for armor bane and master crafted.  on average, it would be the same as a master crafted fist but may roll slightly higher or slightly lower.  IDK how i feel about it.  siege breaker mace is in a similar boat.  IDK if trading all my attacks for one s 10 ap1 is a good idea in most cases.  And it's some what expensive too...the fleshmetal is a no brainer for me.  I love biker lords, and the worse thing about them is not being able to take artificer armor, NO MORE.  the cranium malevolus sounds interesting too.  Could do some solid damage vs a mech list!  the master of annhilation special rule is great if you're doing a bunch of defilers or vindicators.  Otherwise, the detatchment bonuses are kind of "meh."  I think unbound or a cad might be a good option for iron warriors, personally.  min oblit units as troops, i think makes a cad a solid option.  The only problem is that i generally like close combat, not shooting.  iron warriors generally seem like a "hang back and pound the enemy" type of army versus a "get to the enemy and punch them" type of army i normally play.  am i wrong in this?

ALL that being said, the iron warriors have always been one of (if not THE) my favorite legion since i read storm of iron years ago.  I love their look, and from what fluff i've read, the fluff too.  

I was planning on running the sorcerers with the bikes who are little more than ablative armour for them.

When I first thought of this list my main opponents run Mech Imperial Guard, so they'd likely take heretech. But ultimately it depends upon the opponent they are there to act as a Force multiplier for the main Force. the bikes and maulerfiend Formby assault side of it with the obliterators either foot slogging or deep striking or most likely a little bit of both. I'm not sure how it'll fairing how much bloody plasma the average mechanised Imperial Guard list has in its infantry