15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

I only just stumled across this thread and boy have I missed a treat. Excellent work there dantay - truly excellent!

I have been toying around with the idea of using knotwork designs to spice up my land raiders (when I eventually get some) and this thread and the Raptor have truly inspired me now! Thanks! I'm all excited and giddy now...

I must stop staring now... :)

Thanks PupLord, I have to say your great company are looking pretty impressive too.

I am glad that I ma helping to inspire you to try something new. I have a gallery specifically set up with ideas for my vehicles, so feel free to browse in there. None are my own esign, but the very talented artists from the interwebs.

I have tried my hand at glowy runes today, Never tried it before, how does it look.?

Do you think a red molten metal glow would be better with the warm golds?

I'd really like some tips on painting runes in a glowy way, as it scares me to be honest!!

SAM 2200

SAM 2201

C&C welcome
Edited by dantay_xv

A rune of protection is a good choice. I have no idea how to blend for a glow by hand. Someone had a tutorial for spraying, start with white on outside, then a light blue, then darker blue. Maybe same steps while paint is wet?

Someone also had a cool tip for plasma coils: paint white, then go on top with a transparent blue. They (and I) used Vallejo paint. I had a friend also use this technique on a ForgeWorld Thanatos and it looked great. Maybe a blue glaze on top of white would give a similar effect?

I have seen the exact same tips for doing OSL and plasma coils on www.miniwargaming.com

I'll try a quick molten effect rune for comparison. Just to settle my mind on the topic.

How should I do the base? wasn't sure if to make it scenic or to add removable features to act as a Hull point damage counter thingy.

Thoughts?

Thanks PupLord, I have to say your great company are looking pretty impressive too.

I am glad that I ma helping to inspire you to try something new. I have a gallery specifically set up with ideas for my vehicles, so feel free to browse in there. None are my own esign, but the very talented artists from the interwebs.

I have tried my hand at glowy runes today, Never tried it before, how does it look.?

Do you think a red molten metal glow would be better with the warm golds?

I'd really like some tips on painting runes in a glowy way, as it scares me to be honest!!

C&C welcome

I am definately inspired. Thanks for the work you have done in collecting the designs to be readily available. It's a big help.

I have always been in awe of the Marneus Calgar command Land Raider and I thought to adopt the concept but change it to fit the aesthetic of the Vlka Fenryka. Your collection of designs is a great starting point for this!

As to the glowing runes, I have only ever done it in small scale (ie armor, weapons, etc.), so I really don't know if my techniques work on vehicles. The principles are the same as in freehanding the gold knotwork so it should work. Anyway, the way I paint runes is by painting the rune black or very dark brown and then mixing the color of the surface (in your case the hull color) with blue (50/50) and gently drybrushing it around the rune. Then edge highlight (with a wide line, similar to the gold on your knotwork designs) with blue, highlight further with Ice blue (Temple Guard something in the new range) and then highlight once more with 50/50 of Ice blue and white. Then glaze with Guilliman Blue to tie the highlights together. I then highlight the corners of the rune with the same 50/50 mix of Ice Blue - White. Finally I add light spots on the very tips of the corners with white and finish the runes off with a single pass of very very very thin white glaze.

I would prefer the look of blue runes on your Raptor by the way. But I am biased.

As to the bases, I personally prefer scenic bases but if you have good ideas for those removable features I'd like to see them. From a gaming perspective that "counter" base sounds like a great idea.

SAM 2202

SAM 2203

I know most folks seem to like the blue runes, but I did a bit of practice with the red and wondered whet you think of the red molten look?

I quickly doodled it out in 5 minutes on some card.

Puplord, thanks fort the tips on doing blue runes, I will give it a try and the tattoo's. The Calgar Raider is pretty immense. I am sure you can do a Raider that would make Russ proud.

Oh, I am thinking of trying something like this on my Fire Raptor if I have time at the end of the trip...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xKJNc-SLcMQ/U9h8s6w_ibI/AAAAAAAAKb0/ht1IlnHqS4E/s1600/SOH_Fireraptor_Painted_11.JPG

Any ideas how to do it?? Or how hard it would be???

Edited by dantay_xv

The molten red rune blends nice with the knotwork.

The blue gives a nice contrast to the knot work's gold. Maybe a little more official looking, with the flight crew responsible for the more flashy designs?

The molten red rune blends nice with the knotwork.

The blue gives a nice contrast to the knot work's gold. Maybe a little more official looking, with the flight crew responsible for the more flashy designs?

I second this. On the top hatch the red rune is actually very striking and I think the execution is really good too.

For the blue runes, I think starting a little lighter in tone might help the effect. Now the contrast between the Ice blue and white is too stark. If you look at some OSL effects the Ice Blue (or a form of Turquoise) is often the darkest color used. You could try using Torquise as the base? Also the more layers, the more realistic the effect.

I like the look of the runes, but the white dot highlights need to be much, much smaller and subtle.

Cheers.

So red rune on top?

And blue runes for the ID markers?

That can be done.

I think you hit the nail on the head Puplord. I started too dark on the runes and they have got lost in the black. Originally the panel was steel but that was even worse.

I then considered red panel with gold runes... I was trying to use the fine leads from one of those mechanical pencils to paint the runes at one stage.

SAM 2209

These are the blues I have. Top row L-R Enchanted blue, Teclis blue and OLD Space Wolves grey, second row L-R  Hawk turquoise, ice blue then new fenrisian grey

Also got shadow grey fenris grey too.

Maybe kick off with Teclis or Hawk Turquoise this time out eh?

Or just do red and gold :D
Edited by dantay_xv

Red for the top hatch most definately in my oppinion!

I still think ID markers in blue and a similar effect to the jet exchaust would be marvellous.

Try a blue rune on paper, say the same size as the transfer numbers we get with the Space Wolves transfers, and try only using Ice Blue, White, and Lahmian medium (or in it's absence try clean water like you would with the gold in the knotwork). Start with the Ice blue base and gradually mix in white, try a minimum of four layers, and finally add only the tiniest of white dots as "reflections". A lot of work but it might just do the trick and give you a recipe for the exhaust gas effect you mentioned.

I'll give that a go.

I have discovered the joy of masking tape today

SAM 2211

Not perfect but a million times better than what I could achieve freehand. Finally pack markings might become a reality.

Which leads me to my next query. What about blocking the panel with masking tape and tn using a scalpel to carve out the runes, effectively giving me a stencil?

Has anyone tried something similar and has it worked?

I almost considered making the black panel red and doing gold runes......  Yes I am going mad.... Soon everyone will call me Midas, as everything I paint goes gold :biggrin.:

SAM 2212

Or maybe just leave it like this eh??
Edited by dantay_xv

Well if it seeps under we can call it "Glow" hahaha... I'll definitely go with puplords suggestion for colours ad maybe put a layer of white down instead of trying to work from black.

Sorry for being so quiet, stressful time at work and being auditted has really taken it out of me this week, but I have been trying to get things done when I can

And to that end............... 

P1010224

Which rune looks best?

4 different styles, Top right has too much white, but that can be corrected, its the 1 that I am leaning towards myself

Edited by dantay_xv

Somewhere between top right and lower left. Top right has too much white, as you said. Lower left is too clean of lines between colors and white extends too far to me. Guess I like The thicker white in the center with some wisps part way down some of the branches.

To my tastes, take the lower left, but try two changes.  First concentrate the whitest parts at the junction of lines in the runes.  Then fade more to the tips of the lines in all directions, more like the top right.  The lower left needed a few more steps of color change from the junction to the tip.

Does that make sense?

Hey D, 

Loving the progress on this and the Rune idea is a belter!  Personally, prefer the lower left.  The contrast is there and it looks well suited to the bird.

There was an article in a recent WD about painting runes - I'll try and dig it up for you when I'm back home!

Alas the damnable stencil experiment failed.

I lost my cool and attacked the Raptor, ended up carving the runes into it....

P1010250

That too did not go well as you can see, and damaged a large area of paint around it. So last throw of the dice is this

P1010251

I'll build the panels up and etch the runes in, which will give me far more control over what is happening and hopefully not look too out of place.

I redid the top rune in fire

P1010252

And heat stained the hoses on top, I have no idea as to their purpose.

P1010257

Also working on something else to give me a break from the Raptor

P1010259

Morgan that article would be ace :) Thank you.

I am struggling just now with these accursed runes!!!

Do I go plain?

P1010269

Do I go dark to light?

P1010268

Or light to dark?

P1010270

Starting to get royally hacked off now.