15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

Wow Zooz!

And Dantay, I really like the idea of Yggdrasil. Color wise I think you should stick with gold. But maybe on the wolf that salks and the Yggdrasil I'd go for a brighter gold (to look more polished) as they would would get "great reverential attention".

Hi Fen, yes I do tend to go for quite a brassy gold don't I?

If I switch th e ogryn flesh for seraphim sepia or use varying shades of silver then hit it with a glaze, it should get the effect you are talking about. Also Yggdrasil looks like it will make an appearance :)

Boss sat on the camera, so need to check if it works, knotwork on the nose half done and I have had a thought about it, so will need opinions.

Z00Z. They are oth cool designs, I also have a fwe knotwork designs stashed away, but will seriously consider those you have put forward too. I am liking the second design too.

It doesn't because its the only warm colour out there. Maybe something to connect the knots from the upper back with those at the nose?

I think you need something small on the front, near the cocpit. Its, well, too empty.

Edited by Nadir

Hi Nadir.

I agree with you, the red is kind of not  right there. I was looking for a way to introduce other colours to the flyer as it is very grey/gold/metal.

I do plan to put something up by the cockpit. Hahaha so much for "Finally finished painting gold"

I had looked at that design also Vykryl, but for going by the side of the ball turrets to frame them. Then i realised the wings were glued in place and I would have to frame that side too...

Might use this as a surround for the Wolf that stalks.

Which so far I have a few designs in mind

90px SW14

To be surrounded with the knotwork circle above, supplied by Vykryl above
Or:

download

Or:

howling_knotwork_wolf_tattoo_by_wildspiritwolf-d3axf6b.png

Or, omn of the 2 designs as shown by Z00Z a few posts earlier

Hey Z00Z.

Go for it. I have a Sicaran on the way, so I'll kep an eye out for yours... Could be embarasiing if we both show up on here withthe same paint-job :blink.: :blush.: 

I have been putting together a gallery as I go of ideas from pictures on the internet. Feel free to browse and borrow as needed.

1 is for shields and the other for vehicles and possibly shields

I was considering something like this for down the Sicarans flanks:

wolfy.jpg

viking_dragon_2011_by_vikingtattoo-d38nprv.jpg

Kraken dooms banner.jpg

celtic tribal wolf By darklordrinku d2rjk08 (1)

Edited by dantay_xv

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, I am back to work!!!

Now for some peace quiet ad plenty of modelling.

I am taking a brief break from the Raptor, as I am starting to lose the mojo for it, and rather than make thew painting a chore, I figured I's start a side project.

So this is the prep and build work mostly done. Still a bit of gap filling to go. She is not fully built as I am going to paint and spray in sections to make life simpler. I am hoping to have learned a few lessons from the raptor, which I can put to good use with this.

My Sicaran, being prepped to track down the foes of the Allfather :D

SAM 2273

SAM 2274

SAM 2276

Its needed a wee bit of work. I am quite proud of the main guns

SAM 2277

They started off like this

DSCN2561

But I straightened them out. I still wasn't happy, so a chance visit to the local model shop (15 miles away) and I found some brass and aluminium rod and thoufght Hey, lets make new barrels. I ended up extending tem from 18 to 45mm and now they look the business for flyer/light tank hunting.

I also raised the turret slightly

SAM 2278

As it was catching and bumping off of everything and wouldn't rotate nicely, so a bit of plastic later (from an empty roll of ptfe tape) and it sits much nicer. Might raise it up a bit more, we will see.

SAM 2276

The guns are tight to the tanks turret so Ip,an to either use some small washers as spacers and move the guns out a bit then use rod to join them or magnets

SAM 2275

Lastly I will paint these circular sections as shields for when I don't use sponsons, just to make it decorative.

Thoughts?

No carving runes in this one, at least not without a thought through plan.

I like the guns. Hearing about Forge World models being warped is part of why I want to try a scratch build my own Sicaran. Seeing those barrels after the venerable dread I bought is enough to keep me from a second order. Nice salvage and redesign. Spacing the guns away from the turret a little could be good as it looks a little jammed together.

Except for the price I'd suggest getting two of the blizz dream shields to cover the sponson mounts (my lazy way). A pair of your excellent shields scaled up a bit as covers would look good. It might be easier than painting knotwork on the tiered pladtic. Of course that gives you more parts to keep track of.

What's the length and width of the Sicaran? I need to start collecting bits for mine but not sure which tracks to start with.

Thanks guys, yes the extended barrels do look better, quite chuffed with them as a first time experiment :smile.:

And no need to be jealous Z00Z, it took long enough to get here... 

Hey Vyk, yes it needed a fair amount of work, but most of the warpage is perfectly manageable with a bowl of boiling water, I just fancied something a bit different. If you have the filler and some patience it is a nice model. Although like a lot of resin models, its not for the faint-hearted, inexperienced or impatient.

You think this is good, wait till you see what comes after this (maybe in a month or 3 :tongue.: )

As for dimensions she is 150mm long, 100mm wide without sponsons 80mm high with turret and 62-ish mm without :smile.:

Edited by dantay_xv

It's a shame that FW charges an arm and a leg for their models only to arrive in such a poor state. Your refashioning of the barrels is much better than the original!!

I really like the knotworked howling wolf head a lot!!

End of Line

RPR and Sohail.

This was not a genuine FW model. It was a test order to see what the quality would be like from another company. You hear a lot of folks say how great they are etc, I wanted to find out for myself.

My own experience of FW stuff is that they can be a bit hit & miss QC wise, but when they hit quality wise it goes straight out of the park...

The only FW vehicles I have are the LR Achilles, the LR Helios, the Fire Raptor & the FW Venerable dreadnought.

The dread required a lot of work on the back end to get the engines lined up and a few minor issues.

The Helios had a similar issue for the missile pods, but as it is a standard LR for 90% it was easy.

The Fire Raptor was a breeze, almost no warping to rectify, but a fair bit of gap filling etc.

For the Sicaran, the resin is harder and a lot more brittle, plus it has a solvent smell to it, whic does was out eventually. Fot wise, the autocannns had really bad warpage, but were correctable and the panels went together well. I have been overdoing the putty a wee bit and using to coarse a sandpaper, but it wasnt too bad to build. The big white blobs on the front are just where I am smoothng the plates together as I do not like the step.

For quality I would 100% go with FW over the knock-offs.

For money, well if you want to put in the extra time to do a wee bit of fixing up a slightly inferior product, then these are the way to go.

If you do not want to harm GW/FW's business and you want to support the guys who make some damn fine miniatures, the I'd highly recommend buying genuine GW/FW models. Cos without GW/FW we wouldn't have the models in the first place. :)

I wasnt sure if it was FW or not!! I have also dabbed my resin needs from the dark side. However it was probably the best investment I ever made, but yes i understand what you mean about  being hit and miss from FW.  Just want to add that for a non fw cast is really good (details i mean) they are really popping.

I editted the post and took out FW, as it is not fair to mis-represent or risk giving them a bad rep.

I would definitely consider using them again, but only because I know that I have the time to iron out any issues I would have with the models. Being stuck at sea,

I don't have a whole lot of other things to do.

The filled grooves in the top, is where I got a bit heavy handed with my battery dremel so some plastic putty was needed to tidy the joins :)

Without buying a legit FW Sicaran to compare build quality, I can't say if one is better than the other.

It is nice to have the shinies, but I almost miss the saving up part trying to work out what you want/need. Almost!

If I offend or upset any of my Aett-kin because it isn't genuine, then I humbly apologise. 

The cost of the models can sometimes be a bit prohibitive, however I will not be the peron who says "stick 2 fingers up at GW, don't buy GW blah blah blah. They have created awesome miniatures which I think for the most part are out of this world (I say for the most part as even GW/FW has an off day from time to time) and they have created a fictional universe which I absolutely love.

Sometimes the wallet can only take so much pain though.

I hear you bud. Living in a remote country I suffer the same limited supply and shipping issues. But enough talk on the 'right' and 'wrongness' of it. I just want you to please handle with care from a safety perspective. Resin compounds are extremely toxic and carcinogenic. I consult to many casting companies and have for many years who produce both plastic and resin containers for FMCG. The biggest issue is the safety aspect, especially with resin even moreso than plastic. One of the reasons why the replicator casters can produce items at a much lower cost point is the chemical batches they use. FW specifically doesnt utilise any toxic compounds in its casts, but still warns against filling,drilling, sandpaper etc. 

Wear at least medical grade disposable gloves and particlw respirator masks. 

Please, please, please be very careful. There's only 1 Dantay and we all want to see your Raptor and many other models finished works for many years to come. 

Thanks Z00Z. I'll nab some of the dust masks off the rig and have a good chat with the medic about seeing if he has some too.

I knew it wasn't healthy, but I wasn't aware of the carcinogens. I did take some precautions, but moreso because of the solent like smell from the resin (not sure if it was release agent, seemed to become less noticeable after a good dunk)

In all seriousness, my mother is stage 4 cancer so it is always something on the forefront of our family's mind. She is brilliantly positive and so far it hasn't impacted physically on her quality of life, we keep praying it stays that way for many years.

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on sticking around for a while yet. Maybe I shouldn't be sanding and filing in the office then :blink.: 

I actually didn't realise how much interest they garnered from passers-by, but I get into good chats with theguys and gals, some of whom used to own genestealer cults back in the day, or who do model ship building etc... I am considering trying to put a modelling cadre together, for anyone, maybe get some space in the galley to set up of an evening for folks to chat, paint, build etc... Even they keep asking when the Raptor will be finished!!

Back to the Raptor methinks.... It will be done in the next 7 days... Or you can call me Magnus the Red!!

Thanks guys.

A little sad hobby news today.... My Fire  Raptor went from this:

P1010302

To This:

SAM 2287

Drop test: Failed... Needs more Red Bull!!

Stupid wobbly desks!!

Good news is, that it makes it easier to paint designs on the undersides and also the sides of the body....