15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

Hi D.

I absolutely love the runes in the middle picture (dark to light?). They look ace. If you can pull that through with all the panels and then have the topmost hatch in the reddish runic style I think you have a marvellous piece of art on your hands.

Great job so far!

-Pup

Thanks PupLord . The dark runes seem to be edging ahead, but we will see.

Still debating what to do with the runes...

In the meantime I have been working on another project.

Shields for my Wolf Guard.

P1010273

Painted to paper about 3 times the size of the coin and ten shrunk down using the computer... Cheating I know, but still proud of them :)

Yep Fen, you are right. It is Citadel colours. Only recentl;y at a gaming exhibitiondid I find anyone remotely local to me where I can lay my hands on vallejo paints. The other smaller model shops all do those wee metal tins with enamel paints too so Citadel has always been the most accessible paints to me. Vallejo and GW paints are very close in price here too.

DonKalleone: I used Teclis Blue for the darkest colour, then drybrushed on teclis blue-ice blue mix (ice blue is an old GW colour, not sure of its equivalent) then a 50-50 Ice-blue white mix drybrushed on and finally etherium blue drybrush. 

Then went back with watered down Standard Mechaninicum grey to tidy up the overspill which left it all glowy.

I used exactly the same colours but in reverse on the other side/ picture except starting with a pure white. It was glowy and looked awful because of it so I swiped over with mech grey thinking to start agai and te mech grey left the runes 90% untouched, which was kinda lucky :smile.:

Edited by dantay_xv

Ah cool, didnt know about the difference in quantity.

I think I said before I would give it a go...

Has your vallejo been okay? I rememer you were concerened about the mix in the bottles

Edited by dantay_xv

Has your vallejo been okay? I rememer you were concerened about the mix in the bottles

You simply cannot compare the two ranges. My Vallejo pots are now 2 years old and going strong. Give a good shake before use and good to go. But then again I airbrush a lot which is much less paint usage than with brushwork. My personal opinion, Vallejo has the superior pigment, particularly noticeable on heavily diluted paint. Citadel lacks the medium density to hold the molecule bonds and is prone to cracking if heavily diluted. 

I have to say I have been going through the newer pots of GW paints like nobody's business.

Getting paint in the seals so they dry out etc. The hex pots were ace and I still have a fair few the golds, greens, reds and yellows are all the old hex pots.

If I can get proper matching greys, then I'd definitely swap over.

I also have found that P3 and Vallejo last longer, they're cheaper and the color range is just as good as GW's.

I am loving the rune on the raptor, Dantay!! It had been a while since I dropped in last, and I must say, you've been busy.

Shields as looking superb!!

End of Line

I only had one bottle of Vallejo that I think needs to be stirred.  I haven't painted since I made that comment! :sad.:  But once I figure out how to remove the top dropper, I can stir it up.

I only use Vallejo Paints. 17ml with "dropplet" function is far superior. The Colors are better or at leastthe same. It doesnt dry out as fast cause they close more secure. And the most important they ONLY Produce Paints so it wont change like GW does.

What i have give to Citadel are the Dry (Necron Compound) and Washes (All). Those are really good.

Edited by Donkalleone

P1010301

P1010303

P1010304

P1010305

P1010306

P1010302

So this is where I am at. I have tonight and tomorrow night to get this finished before going back home and leaving this till next trip out.

My main issue is the runes on the forward section, its still fairly close between which I should do I also need to do a design to go under the forward mini-wing and maybe something in front of the pilot.

I am thinking a great wolf on the sides, but should I do a bit more knotwork to go with it?

What do you think so far?

I would put the Wolf That Stalks The Stars under the stub wing and a small piece of not work on the panel just in front of it. Will see if I can find a small triangular piece that would fit

Edit: Maybe a version of the middle one?

gallery_74843_8971_22947.jpg

Edited by Vykryl

Based on your history of this craft, is the wolf that stalks the stars Russ' symbol? Whatever is his is what I'd use.

According to our codex it the symbol of Russ and whoever holds the title of Great Wolf since his disappearance

Marvmoogy & Sohail: Thanks guys :smile.: It's been a labour of love I have to tell you...

Fen & Vyk. I had always planned to put the wolf which stalks in the design under the stub-wing, irs just what to put with it. I have an idea for the knot work which may kill 2 drekars with one stone.

Something like this:

Newer shield ideas.jpg

The shiel design in the centre, which is Yggdrassil.. Use the circular banding around the wolf which stalks, and maybe use the Yggdrassil symbol on the black squares over the wing vents..... The circular banding would then tie the images together...

The Night Fury could symbolically then be watching over Russ The Wolf who stalks the stars as seen on the body while protecting hunanity or the All-Father, as represented by the tree of life (Yggdrassil).

Sound good or sound dumb?

Also Vykryl... The second design is great your design would mirror the others perfectly.

Thanks!!

I am thinking of ding the banding in gold and the wolf either silver with a tint of blue, or black.. White might be too close to the grey and sort of disappear... so might the silver.... Hmmmm..

What do you guys think??

Edited by dantay_xv

Based on your history of this craft, is the wolf that stalks the stars Russ' symbol? Whatever is his is what I'd use.

According to our codex it the symbol of Russ and whoever holds the title of Great Wolf since his disappearance

Didn't have my book.  I thought that was the case, but couldn't remember specifically.

Very nice Dantay, its looking superb!

The runes on the side need framing, like a box around all of them of sort. It will draw attention to it and not get lost on a big panel :)

I found some wolf designs that might suit for the 'wolf that stalks the stars' in the same sort of knotwork patterns you have done. 

Might need adaptation but I reckon it will look amazing.

http://www.mondotatuaggio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Wolf-star.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6AatDC3HUo8/UUrZFDqgBOI/AAAAAAAAFno/gnGtoOeW3fg/s1600/tatuaggio+testa+lupo.jpg

I really like the second design, if that is something you looking to add :)