Little by little, I have been talked back into continuing my Blood Drinkers. I even have a few names and some fluff here and there finally!

Also: Progress pic and an older photo of the 2nd mini I ever painted that convinced me to go with this chapter: (Apologies for crappy quality, my current phone doesn't have the greatest camera.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/Reldn/b88fef0a-ee9d-4051-8bd3-20afa31f39be_zpsf2f9cc05.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/Reldn/1bfc018c-7bc4-42d3-8804-d798ead5c901_zps0577d7ca.jpg

Thanks to my order being lost in the Christmas post and tourny being this weekend, I've been doing a Dante conversion from a vanvet and with pack and wings from sanguinor and astorath. Will put a pic up soon as poss. Knew those bits would come in handy.

Reldn - It's good to know you're staying with the 'Drinkers :smile.: I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your progress :happy.:

Speaking of progress - Sons of Cruor. No paint as of yet, as it gets dark far too early in the UK at this time of year and I haven't found a daylight lamp/bulb yet. Hopefully will get something done this weekend :happy.:

The shoulder parchments on the DC are amazing, how did you do that? The highlights look just right too, and the basing is...ok how did you do that too? :)

Thanks guys.

Shaezus - the parchment is Reaper Master Series Khaki Shadow  highlighted by adding RMS Khaki Highlight until it felt right. So maybe 80:20 first time round and 60:40 for the final highlight? I play it by ear really. I can only take credit for the painting the base, it's one of Basicks' Old Factory battle bases: That said though, plasticard T-beam, 2mm plasticard sheet, plasticard tubing and mixed basing sand/gravel ought to do the trick if you've the inclination to do it yourself.

Edited by sockwithaticket

I purchased a Bray'arth Ashmantle dread and will convert that into a Blood Dragons furioso. I also picked up three jet bikes, and a Caestus Assault Ram,and a contemptor those all should be painted as soon as they arrive. The Ebay gods were very kind to me :) 

Tac'd together a couple of melta-cide squads from 99% spare bits I had in my box:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20150115_215421_zpsq5ybmm35.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20150115_213142_zpspmuwflld.jpg

@ Ovidius Incertus - Thanks man! Bare with me, I am not the best with GS at all, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. What I do for long hair is shave down the donor head, so it is slightly smaller. This allows for the extra thickness of the greenstuff hair. Then I put the green stuff on in the general style I want (with my limited skills its either a side part or centre part) and just attempt at skulpting hair strands. I really just make it up as I go along, and if I don't like the end result I just start again. This may help with GS in general and it is what I use for tips LINKY

Hope that helps :)

@ Ovidius Incertus - Thanks man! Bare with me, I am not the best with GS at all, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. What I do for long hair is shave down the donor head, so it is slightly smaller. This allows for the extra thickness of the greenstuff hair. Then I put the green stuff on in the general style I want (with my limited skills its either a side part or centre part) and just attempt at skulpting hair strands. I really just make it up as I go along, and if I don't like the end result I just start again. This may help with GS in general and it is what I use for tips LINKY

Hope that helps :smile.:

Emphasis mine.. but I always crack up whenever someone types this.. I get this mental image of two B&C'ers stripping and getting in bed together for a quick hump or something.

Edited by appiah5

There are some rules in it's either apocalypse or aeronautica, if you email Forgeworld that's where they'll direct you. We can't have Chaplain, Siege or Mortis Dreadnoughts, though, nor can we have relic predators.  It's total BS that a first founding chapter that fought in the Siege of Terra should have any such restrictions whereas any Johnny-come-lately vanilla successor chapter has unfettered access to everything.

Today I received my Imperial Armour book two. Trying to figure out how to read through all of this. Also, BA can't take contemptors? That's not right. :/

We have a specific BA pattern Contemptor in IA: Apoc. That is what we have to use for the time being (it's basically a Contemptor Furioso that can upgrade to have a Frag Cannon and/or regular Contemptor upgrades).

There are some rules in it's either apocalypse or aeronautica, if you email Forgeworld that's where they'll direct you. We can't have Chaplain, Siege or Mortis Dreadnoughts, though, nor can we have relic predators.  It's total BS that a first founding chapter that fought in the Siege of Terra should have any such restrictions whereas any Johnny-come-lately vanilla successor chapter has unfettered access to everything.

Originally, it was a balance thing. We had the Stormraven, so we weren't allowed the Stormeagle (this has since been allowed as we'll see when the next update/FAQ hits). We don't have Relic Predator access because we have Baal Predators. We don't have the other Dreadnought patterns because we have three unique ones, etc.

Yeah, that's what they said in an email, but it felt pretty weak to me. How unbalanced would it be, really, if we could field a Chaplain dreadnought alongside a Furioso?

We've got, what, 4 types of dread? DC, Furioso, regular and Librarian (HQ only, now, though not when IA 2 was reissued) . Vanilla have Venerable, regular and Ironclad. If we're going by uniqueness then I'd say we've got 2 and a half at best because a Furioso without a Frag Cannon is basically an Ironclad without a Seismic Hammer.

Is there really such a discrepancy there that we shouldn't be allowed any of the dread variants listed in IA2 on the basis of balance?  Surely they could let us have the Chaplain dread at least, it would be a fairly fluffy choice.

On the predator issue I'm not really fussed (total dread-head rather than tread-head), but again I don't see how letting us have access to them would be game breaking from a balance perspective. Plus it makes no sense whatsoever for the subsequent existence of the Baal predator to mean we can no longer use things that would have been in the armoury before it was developed.

Since when were GW and FW all about balance anyway?

As DA have the Landspeeder Vengeance and it's two variants, should they no longer be allowed access to the Tempest or the Javelin? Space Wolves now have some unique Dread stuff so should they have the Siege dreadnought taken away?

I perhaps wouldn't mind the restrictions so much if they weren't so daft from a fluff perspective and if the reason given was simply better than 'balance'.

/rant

Edited by sockwithaticket

The other thing to take into account is the chronological order of things. We got our three Dreadnoughts before C:SM did. FW's rules and models were written before the C:SM got their tweaks, etc. Personally 1) I'm confident that FW will balance things out eventually (only for GW to shake things up again :teehee: ), 2) In a friendly format, nothing is stopping you from doing it anyway provided you have permission (we have them in our armoury, they are essentially just out of favour like Centurions...).