I might actually be on the chaos side this year to get my ass up and finish my Daemon army finally. We bought a friend his AoS army for christmas so now he's sitting there with his new army and has nobody to play because we're procrastinating on ours. :D

Nooooooo, resist the urge to fall to chaos!

I might actually be on the chaos side this year to get my ass up and finish my Daemon army finally. We bought a friend his AoS army for christmas so now he's sitting there with his new army and has nobody to play because we're procrastinating on ours. :biggrin.:

As long as you vow more models than you actually have, and embody the true self-destructive spirit of chaos, then that's fine :happy.:

But yes, Chaos is a huge faction, and as a single Chapter we did amazingly to beat them last year. This year will be a challenge, lets at least beat all the other Astartes. 

Whoa, whoa with those 60k pts! This might as well be the doom of us;)
Last year we pledged ~46k pts, and managed to complete ~40k having achieved 86% completion rate. Chaos by comparison vowed ~70k pts, completed 52k pts with 71% completion rate. This allowed us to win by only 0.16% pts difference in the final scores. 

BattleScribe says I have a bit over 6k points to paint. However most of those are infantry, with a sizeable chunk in Elites section which are a pain to paint fast. I don't think I'll be able to beat my last year's ~2900 painted points, but if I cross 2000 pts, I'll be more than happy. Especially as now we will not be able to pledge Knights that got their seperate codex. Which makes me wonder if Chaos would be allowed to do so?

This will certainly be an interesting edition and I'm all excited about it :)

My goal is to get best unit/squad this year. Though I think Slothy will probably take it.

Edit: best squad is unit with 5+ models right Jole?

Thank you for the kind words, but I'm nowhere near as skilled as the other artisans in our company. Also I may very well only paint vehicles this year, so I don't think I'd even be eligible.

Unless I didn't understand what's actually being said in which case, please, just ignore me ;)

A question for the ETL, can we children of Baal use our new sanguinor /cough/ sanguinius /cough/ models in the event?

I don't think we can since it's HH only and HH is their own thing in the ETL. I think.

A question for the ETL, can we children of Baal use our new sanguinor /cough/ sanguinius /cough/ models in the event?

I don't think we can since it's HH only and HH is their own thing in the ETL. I think.

It's always been ok to count a model as 'worse' than it is. In this case counting the 400pt Sanguinius as a 200 or sanguinor really really shouldn't matter - it only penalises the painter as they have to paint the same model for fewer points.

Personally I wouldn't want to feel I have to rush such a gorgeous model!

So I was priming six Eliminators and the Vanguard Librarian (among other things) tonight. Something that I realized when I tried to put them away in my carrying case... the bases are just too darn big! Other models wont fit in the case just because of their poses or whatever the case may be (Inceptors) and I deal with that, but the Primaris line seems to be getting a little too flirtatious with these 40mm bases. I'm cool with the bigger bases on Characters but GW is getting a little too crazy for my carrying case now. Just a logistical gripe that I wanted to share, guess I'll have to invest in that cool new magnetic carrying case (suitcase) that Battlefoam sells.

To end on a much more positive note, I've recently started doing the whole "painting one hour a day" thing and my productivity is definitely improving with no hobby burn out! Here's my latest "finished" result.

Disclaimer: Potato camera.

gallery_85034_15227_68443.jpg

Edit: Spelling is hard..

Edited by Slothysaur

Nice job on that Intercessor! Very neat.

A

I also was surprised with the amount of 40mm bases in the Shadowspear box. I will be modelling my Eliminators on 32mm.

GW, for goodness sake, give us more terminators, not terminators' bases!

So I was priming six Eliminators and the Vanguard Librarian (among other things) tonight. Something that I realized when I tried to put them away in my carrying case... the bases are just too darn big! Other models wont fit in the case just because of their poses or whatever the case may be (Inceptors) and I deal with that, but the Primaris line seems to be getting a little too flirtatious with these 40mm bases. I'm cool with the bigger bases on Characters but GW is getting a little too crazy for my carrying case now. Just a logistical gripe that I wanted to share, guess I'll have to invest in that cool new magnetic carrying case (suitcase) that Battlefoam sells.

To end on a much more positive note, I've recently started doing the whole "painting one hour a day" thing and my productivity is definitely improving with no hobby burn out! Here's my latest "finished" result.

Disclaimer: Potato camera.

gallery_85034_15227_68443.jpg

Edit: Spelling is hard..

He looks great! Don't worry about the picture quality, this is definitely not potato camera quality. ;)

I wish I had one hour a day to paint but I'm about 11h a day out of the house just for the regular worktime + the way to and from the office. :sweat:

About the 40mm bases .. that's why I usually get myself a case with the modular foam. Now I just have a whole layer for 40mm bases as well. I'm fine with Eliminators on 40mm bases because it would look too crowded otherwise, but I can actually see myself having trouble fitting them on the top floors of ruins in-game lol

Maybe I'll look into some modular foam, somehow I skipped right past that to magnets haha. The case was a gift and it's trays are sized for 25mm based models. Needless to say it's been a tight fit with all the 32mm marines I've been shoving in... this months hobby budget (and nexts) has been spent however so back onto the back burner it goes (again).

Well ... I got to try out the Shadowspear units last saturday. It was supposed to be a 2v2 but we ended up with only three players so it became a 2v1 with 2x1k vs 2k points. Me and either Tyranids, GSC or Deathwatch vs AdMech.

So not knowing the other 1k points on my side I've sent my partner my list of Smash Captain (not as warlord), Vanguard Librarian (re-deploy trait), 3x5 Infiltrators, 3 Eliminators, 3 Suppressors, 9 Reivers with Combat blades and an Ancient with relic banner. I already knew just by looking at it that my list was lacking for such a big game but I really wanted to try stuff out so I hoped my partner would fill the gaps .... he didn't. :biggrin.:

My partner came with a very casual Deathwatch list with a Dreadnought and squads with rather random loadout mostly.

Our opponent brought a Knight with gatling and big melta, two Armiger warglaives, 3 dakkabots, 3 dragoons, 3 Kataphron Destroyers and some troops, including 4 arquebuses. :sweat:

We've played a combined eternal war/maelstrom mission. Basically kill points and the CA18 maelstrom mission where you have to discard random objectives when a character dies.

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to test much of the shadowspear stuff except for confirming the lacking damage output of the Infiltrators and the Eliminators. I tried to do some re-deploy shenanigans with my Infiltrators but our opponent did the same thing and placed the dakka bots right infront of them. I originally planned to charge the skitarii to basically force his whole blob in place for at least one turn (he deployed between two huge LoS blocker with the main bulk of his army) but I ended up being able to only charge the dakka bots and prevent them from shooting for a turn and have his dragoons and one warglaive charge them which was okay I guess ... just not "220p and a warlord trait" okay. Their shooting did pretty much nothing. They even struggled taking out basic Skitarii.

The Eliminators struggled similarly. Facing only vehicles, T4 characters with proper armour and the ability to get repaired they were stuck with trying to pling random wounds here and there or to shoot the Skitarii (which they did an underwhelming job at as well). At least they kept a low profile so got pretty much ignored for most of the game ... unfortunately they were sitting on an objective that only became relevant in turn 7 (yes we actually lasted that long ... with both of our warlords hiding and dancing around ruins lol).

The Suppressors came in and did nothing except for capturing an objective. Their only proper target was an Armiger Warglaive to be fair though so that was to be expected.

The Vanguard Librarian was pretty useful at halving the movement of the Dragoons like 3 or 4 times during the game but with only the Knight and the Dragoons on his flank he couldn't really get in range to hurt something of interest so he mainly plinged some random mortal wounds at those.

So basically I could have played without any of the Shadowspear units except for the Vanguard Librarian and one unit of 5 Infiltrators and it wouldn't have made a difference. Or rather it would've made a positive difference probably. Good thing that I'm only really interested in using the Vanguard Librarian, the Suppressors and a unit of 5 or 10 Infiltrators anyway and only if the Infiltrators become quite a bit cheaper.

As for the rest of my army, Captain Smash whiffed against the Knight and did only 9 damage even with fighting twice (I've rolled so many 2s :dry.: ) but it wasn't exactly smart to throw him against the Knight anyway and I should have used him on the other half of the board against the blob of Warglaive, dakkabots and Skitarii. That was just me being a casual player and wanting to see the outcome of such a duel instead of trying to win the game. :biggrin.:

The Reiver failed their charge, got charged by the Warglaive in return and then next turn got shot to bits. No big surprise even though I recently got rather lucky with their charge rolls. I guess it was bound to happen eventually lol

In the end we lost 20:28 in round 7 (if he didn't roll a 6 for the advance roll with his Knight in the last round we would have gotten another 5 points for a priority target defend objective) with the Vanguard Librarian Warlord at 1 wound and the Watchcaptain Warlord at full wounds remaining.

I guess what helped us the most here was that our opponent had quite a bit of anti-tank in his list while we had only a single Dreadnought, the Dragoons not really getting anywhere due terrain + suffering from only half their movement and the one Warglaive being bound for two turns the DW Termi Captain and another turn by the Reivers (he charged them and used the D1 profile lol). We killed only 3 Skitarii units and eventually both Warglaives. Two of the three Kataphron Destroyers killed themselves via overcharging plasma as well. :biggrin.:

Edited by sfPanzer

Awesome stuff t-dog! I run the same unit (Power Sword instead of TH) exactly as you outlined above on occasion. No complaints about their performance, we as Blood Angels absolutely have the best ASM squads.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to giving them a spin. I haven't used Assault Marines since they were troop choices in 5th edition (those were the days...) but I was feeling nostalgic. After reading their datasheet more closely and then checking over my list I realised I could actually really use some deepstriking meltas, so here we are! I did consider a power sword, and had I been strapped for points it's probably the choice I would have gone with, but I had the points so I figured "why not?" In any case their primary targets will likely be vehicles so the Thunder Hammer will be handy for extra punch.