I'm so happy to see 3rd Company RoW as a long-time kakophoni gatherer (though I still have no idea of Gets Hot! on sonic weaponry).

I've read all comments in this thread for days. Most of fellow EC players here seem to use either palatines or phoenix guards. But again, as a kakophoni gatherer, I'd like to make my 3rd Company as a mechanized infantry army including at least 30 kakophonie embarking in rhinos in addition to some EC-style fast units like bikes and land speeder variants.

A question is, which unit do you recommend for EC heavy slots? I bought a venator from my friend who, sadly, retreats from this hobby. Is this enough or do I need to buy more? Tanks? Dreadnoughts? Flyers?

For me I take laser destroyers. Sicaran preds would be good too. I have a storm eagle in my list for some AT as well. But yeah, tanks would get my vote, armour to back up the kakophoni.

I'm so happy to see 3rd Company RoW as a long-time kakophoni gatherer (though I still have no idea of Gets Hot! on sonic weaponry).

I've read all comments in this thread for days. Most of fellow EC players here seem to use either palatines or phoenix guards. But again, as a kakophoni gatherer, I'd like to make my 3rd Company as a mechanized infantry army including at least 30 kakophonie embarking in rhinos in addition to some EC-style fast units like bikes and land speeder variants.

A question is, which unit do you recommend for EC heavy slots? I bought a venator from my friend who, sadly, retreats from this hobby. Is this enough or do I need to buy more? Tanks? Dreadnoughts? Flyers?

For me I take laser destroyers. Sicaran preds would be good too. I have a storm eagle in my list for some AT as well. But yeah, tanks would get my vote, armour to back up the kakophoni.

Thanks for your advice, Ethrion. I'm now looking at destroyers - it's dang expensive though, so maybe one per a month or two.

Can I ask your storm eagle loadouts too? Is it superior to other shooting-dedicated flyers (e.g., fire raptor?) if I don't need the transport ability? 

Edited by heptus

Thanks for your advice, Ethrion. I'm now looking at destroyers - it's dang expensive though, so maybe one per a month or two.

Can I ask your storm eagle loadouts too? Is it superior to other shooting-dedicated flyers (e.g., fire raptor?) if I don't need the transport ability? 

I put the lascannons and multi-melta upgrade on it. It does a good job flying round shooting at vehicles. The raptor is more an anti-infantry flyer IMO. I have the eagle in because I personally need the transport capacity in addition to the extra anti-tank weapons. So if you don't need to carry anything there is probably a better platform for two lascannons and a multi-melta.

Well, you are probably better off with a Paragon blade in most cases, as the second you are locked into combat that +2S ap2 becomes just regular old ap3...!

But a Paragon blade can be represented as a spear :)

And what would happen if you were to add a boarding shield other then it would look cool?

Boarding shield confers some invuln saves as well as defensive grenades.

Edited by heptus

I've got a question regarding the Maru Skara that I might have been using wrongly. 

It says you can choose up to 3 units from Fast Attack/Elites to be in special reserves. 

What I've been doing is choosing my Storm Eagle (Fast attack) that carries Phoenix Guard as 1 choice and my Dreadclaw (Fast Attack) that carries veterans as a 2nd choice. 

Is this correct? Or did I now just pick 4 units? So my question is actually regarding transports using this rule.. do the passengers count as a choice? 

Edit:

Brainfart!

My question still stands cause it will also determine if one can take a non Elite/Fast unit inside an Eagle to use in Maru Skara.

For my example it's no issue cause on second thought the dreadclaw comes in T1 using droppod assault rule. Which just leaves the Eagle with Phoenix Guard. Since Phoenix Guard are Elite, I'm legal in any case.

Edited by MorgothNL

Personally I'd say it's all totally fine (though yes the drop pod does auto come in T1).

You can hold any units you want in reserve and those just happen to be embarked on the Eagle!

A pretty good strat if you ask me!

The models being transported wouldn't count, I would say. A deep striking vehicle can still deep strike if the passengers don't have deep strike, they just tag along for the ride. Same here.

Well as you identified, they definitely had Chaplains. It hasn't really been touched upon other than the inclusion of Charmosian, but maybe think of them as officers who enforce the purity and strict standards that the EC value. Perfection of the mind as well as of the body.

Prior to Isstvan they would have obeyed the edict of Nikea without question and had no Librarians in their ranks. Afterwards, with the Legion going full Slaanesh, anything goes. In Path of Heaven there is an Apothecary who is dabbling in sorcery and daemon summoning, even if they didn't have a formal Librarius in the midst of the craziness if you used one to represent a Sorcerer after they begun their rapid descent it would make perfect sense to me.

It's worth it for anyone, Christ Wraight has been knocking it out of the park.

Thanks to your recommendations I purchased The Path of Heaven last weekend, which is a very well-written novel indeed (not yet done, so no spoiler plz :wink:) The descriptions about EC in this novel makes me consider hiring 5-10 palatine blades (for Cario and his minions) as well as a primus medicae or librarian (for Von Kalda).

Regarding palatine blades, how do you veteran EC players deliver the squad to the enemy? Dreadclaw? LR? Spartan? Stormeagle? Currently my army is composed of shooting units (mainly Kakophoni) so they may be my only close-combat spear squad.

Edited by heptus

Dreadclaw, or jump packs with Eidolon, is how I see them most often.

I think I'm not gonna buy Eidolon as I've already got Fulgrim. I gotta check a dreadclaw then. Thanks!

Oh, and which wargear do you give to a prefector? Just a spear and all-men sonic shrieker?

The sabers are actually very solid, and your only source of AP2 after the first turn. I wouldn't go all spears, they are still just T4 W1 Sv3+, so bulking out the unit with several "cheap" guys with charnabal sabers works out pretty well.

You see I tend to roll crap hoping for that rend, if you want them to have quite an impact on the charge, spears are worth the points. You still have 5 'wound takers' who can trend anyway.

Plus you don't have to sacrifice your sarge as you can do challenges with anyone. At least you won't lose the ld if he dies

I have a short question about the caestus assault ram. As I understood, it can carry 10 models with power/aritificer/termi armor, regardless of their size. Isn't Fulgrim allowed to use this flyer then?

Edited by heptus

I have a short question about the caestus assault ram. As I understood, it can carry 10 models with power/aritificer/termi armor, regardless of their size. Isn't Fulgrim allowed to use this flyer then?

It's a bit of a debate really and a slight oversight in the way the rules are written. Conversely some people argue that Perturabo and Horus only take up one slot as they are described as having "Terminator armour"... :wallbash:

Personally I'd have no problems with it, he'd just take up his normal number of slots - it's just that Phoenix Terminators for his bodyguard would only be taking up a single slot each.

I'm fairly certain Fulgrim can't go in a ram as he doesn't have specified armour requirements. He can go raider/ Spartan/ pod/ possibly eagle but not in the ram.

Spears for palatines - 3 in 10 is plenty. They're v expensive and if they get bogged down the spears become fairly rubbish. I run 10 with jump packs, chaplain and eidolon. They may get shot at but then my kakophoni/ leviathan/ quads/ venator/ vindicated/ etc aren't being shot. Sufficient cover also mitigates. Foot slogging they'll be in combat as quickly as in a pod and they don't suffer from drop mishaps. I really don't understand the obsession with combat squads in pods. If you're dropping that close some form of good short ranged dakka wins - plas tac support/ seekers with combi delights and so on.

I really don't understand the obsession with combat squads in pods. If you're dropping that close some form of good short ranged dakka wins - plas tac support/ seekers with combi delights and so on.

I think a dreadclaw would mitigate that problem to some extent. T1 drop, flat out (18"), jink, T2 move (6"), disembarking (6"), and then charge (up to 12"); it seems the unit doesn't need to be so close to the short-ranged strong dakka in T1.

Though I admit I may be wrong cause I haven't used a dreadclaw yet (it's still under construction in my room-forgeworld;)).