It's just a painted tank, not much to get excited about really. From a Guard point of view the SA are more or less a variant model type - with some options we can't take. They're quite distinct in appearance too and I think we've seen most of the first wave? The excitement wears off :P I'm hoping to see more Imperial Army stuff, ideally more general stuff too as I think the SA were made up by FW?

• 2 weeks later...

that is my future lord militant, great model, do we know a release date yet?

No, but to use the Xiphon as a good indicator, it appeared in a FW Bulletin on March the 16th and it was released on March 27th.

My guess is that it will appear within the next few weeks.

There doesn't seem to be that great an interest in the Solar Auxilia over here...

:(

Love the models personally but (a) I'm not into 30k and (b ) can't afford to get excited about the models as 40k AM troops because I've already sunk lots of $$ into my DKoK and won't be starting a second (third if you count my growing MT collection) any time soon.

If I didn't already have my DKoK I'd be on these models like stink on a monkey.

I will be starting a very themed list.  I already have an HQ and two Troops. 

http://belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Martians.jpg

Yep, the Martian contents of Mantic's Mars Attacks game.  Since they have Martian death rays and 40K has Martian death rays, I figure I have two Veletaris sections and a Lord Marshal with a paragon blade and volkite serpenta.  I plan to add more Veletaris sections, get a trio of flying saucers for probably Lightnings (unless a future release has a volkite armed flyer), use the Stealth Martians for medicae orderlies, and get one big stompy robot for a Lord of War Knight Styrix.  So yeah... "Don't run we are your friends."

So ... I keep thinking about Solar Auxillia. Think I am going to eventually give-in but I am determined to finish my current two armies first before I indulge.

But what do you guys think are the more appropriate rules for Solar Auxillia? Veterans or Scions? For my money it needs to be one or the other since the models are clearly wearing at least carapace armour.

Their "super charged" lasguns seem like hotshot lasguns, yet to me Solar Auxillia feel more like regular line infantry which would be more in keeping with veterans using grenadiers doctrine.

I toyed with the idea of fielding them as counts-as Adepta Sororitas, and although the guys in my local gaming area all signed off on the idea, it just doesn't "feel" right.

If 30k were a thing here, I'd be sorely tempted to add Solar Auxilia to my list of projects. Sadly, I don't get to play 30k here and, even if I did, Questoris would be my first love. I still wish that weren't so because going full mechanized with them sounds like boat loads of fun. All Dracosian mounted squads with three super heavies in heavy support slots. A couple of thunderbolts to round it out, and provide AA fire, and, maybe, a baneblade with the command options for a LoW.

given the fact that they have those lovely flamer models i don't think sororitas are a bad way to go, especially since that will give you an army that has a completely different feeling to it than just another imperial guard army.alternatively, you could just field them as henchmen in an inquisitors army, although i believe you already field such a list?

given the fact that they have those lovely flamer models i don't think sororitas are a bad way to go, especially since that will give you an army that has a completely different feeling to it than just another imperial guard army.alternatively, you could just field them as henchmen in an inquisitors army, although i believe you already field such a list?

Yes, I do, plus the armour upgrades are way overpriced for acolytes plus 10 pts for flamers? What's up with that?

I may do Adepta Sororitas yet, but I really like the baroque lasguns and don't want to swap them out for bolters.

i don't think using a bolter statline for their guns is too farfetched. have a look at their gun, it clearly has a magazine., could be boltshells in there. otherwise even just cutting of a small piece of the muzzle could change their look a lot

I guess so, but it just looks so much heavier than flak armour. I'm hesitant to go that route. It rather annoyed me (although I kept my annoyance to myself to be a good sport) when at my last tournament I faced an army that was all Death Korps Grenadiers for troops, but the guy was fielding them rules-wise as flak armoured veterans. I don't want to do that to other people. Plus I would piss my own self off doing that.

Wandered in here randomly, but here's my A$0.02:

If you were to use any SA models as SoB, I would recommend the Veletaris Storm Sections. You should easily be able to pass the Volkite chargers they are equipped with as having a similar statline to bolters (which they do, but with a high S), and just say something about them being a modern recreation of ancient Martian tech, but not quite as effective.

Just a thought...

I was thinking less technologically advanced void armor where those metal plate were more akin to platemail worn in the Middle Ages, but fittef for space.  Still I see your point and was just hoping to give you an excuse for more flexibility.  Still, between Company Command Squads and Veterans in Carapace.  The Bullgyrns (the slab shield is what they're wearing), Leman Russ, Basilisks, and anything else that it in both (if 40K Forgeworld is allowed, you have far more options), then you can reasonably have a double duty army.  Heck the Dracosan with demolisher cannon can be really big Thunderers.  Given time, I think folks will want you to run them as Solar Auxilia.

Either that or make little red shirts you can slip over/velcro on to them and explain that no armor in the world can save an army of Red Shirts. :laugh.:

Archived