The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

Finally received my Deathstorm box. Looks like it will be a long wait for the Codex. For some reasons, preorders seem to be posted at the day of release - anyone know what the point of that is? I would imagine they should be posted a couple of days earlier (hence the PREorder) so that the order would arrive at the time of release...

Guaranteeing delivery by release date meant that the order would often arrive before release date. And instead they guarantee delivery to store, where they have an opportunity to upsell.

My experience is different, the AV13 really makes up for loss of attacks, and now with Shredding S10 the difference in A numbers will be even less significant.  Being able to wade into a bunch of MEQ with no fear of Krak grenades makes the Furioso infinitely better in my mind..  With the old codex, I could see how the DC Dread could be very useful as a meatgrinder against orc/tau/eldar/guard blobs and the like; but with the new rules, I feel it's kind of out of place..

I wasn't talking about the old blender dread, they were very hit and miss while fists always had a good target somewhere on the board. So comparing fists to fist. 

With only 4 attacks the first combat phase and 3 attacks after the charge I often found that normal furioso get stuck all game fighting a single unit, all it takes is a few bad rolls. DC dread did enough damage on the charge to make up for krak vulnerability. 

If there's a hidden fist or melta bomb it will probably get many opportunities to take out the furioso before you have time to grind down the opponent. Without anything like that 'our weapons are useless' sometimes meant that the opponent broke off and then ran around the dread, shooting his rear or side AV or freeing up a melta that was previously locked in combat. 

6 attacks give you a nice margin for bad rolls, vs both AV and creatures. Even better now with I5.

My experience is different, the AV13 really makes up for loss of attacks, and now with Shredding S10 the difference in A numbers will be even less significant.  Being able to wade into a bunch of MEQ with no fear of Krak grenades makes the Furioso infinitely better in my mind..  With the old codex, I could see how the DC Dread could be very useful as a meatgrinder against orc/tau/eldar/guard blobs and the like; but with the new rules, I feel it's kind of out of place..

I wasn't talking about the old blender dread, they were very hit and miss while fists always had a good target somewhere on the board. So comparing fists to fist. 

With only 4 attacks the first combat phase and 3 attacks after the charge I often found that normal furioso get stuck all game fighting a single unit, all it takes is a few bad rolls. DC dread did enough damage on the charge to make up for krak vulnerability. 

If there's a hidden fist or melta bomb it will probably get many opportunities to take out the furioso before you have time to grind down the opponent. Without anything like that 'our weapons are useless' sometimes meant that the opponent broke off and then ran around the dread, shooting his rear or side AV or freeing up a melta that was previously locked in combat. 

6 attacks give you a nice margin for bad rolls, vs both AV and creatures. Even better now with I5.

Good points overall, I can't argue against any of them.  All I can say is now with WS5 Shredding, your Furioso attacks are a lot less likely to miss WS3 blobs or WS4 marines, and now with S10 WS5 it has a good chance of putting the hurt on any T4/T5 high WS characters..

They both have their merits.  You don the black, I'll keep the red ;)

Anyone has any news of how to get FnP to our models? I know Sang Priest still confer it to a joined unit but is there any other way? Can you buy Blood chalices as wargear/relics? What is the point cost of a sang priest?

60 points I think I saw. No other method. Novitaes are an upgrade for the Command Squad.

Shred is nice for those annoying '1's to wound, but maybe it's better to spring for the librarian dread? A lvl 1 isn't that much more expensive compared to a furioso and you can always count on having the BA primaris if you want a buff.  Provided of course you have a HQ slot available. 

DC dreads and furioso dreads fill very different roles. 

With DC dreads you get a massive amount of high S, low AP attacks. 6 without buffs. Furioso only excels with the frag cannon.

However, I'm not sure DC dreads are worth it anymore. The difference between WS4 and WS5 is significant for a single model unit that lives and dies on burst damage. 

The old DC dread was often my MVP, have to playtest them for a few games to see if they still rock.

I can't really see myself taking any Dreads. They compete with a lot of good stuff in the elites section, and I've found them to have decreasing survivability over time. That decreasing survivability took a nose dive off a cliff after Space Wolves were released with cheap TWC and the Dread with 3++.

I think they needed either a points drop, or a buff in rules- of which they got neither.

DC dreads and furioso dreads fill very different roles. 

With DC dreads you get a massive amount of high S, low AP attacks. 6 without buffs. Furioso only excels with the frag cannon.

However, I'm not sure DC dreads are worth it anymore. The difference between WS4 and WS5 is significant for a single model unit that lives and dies on burst damage. 

The old DC dread was often my MVP, have to playtest them for a few games to see if they still rock.

Librarian Dreads are a character and can call a challenge then instagib almost any T5 character in the game now just put the Quickening on him. You have a fleeting monster with WS5, shred, AP2 and D3 initiative and attacks on top of his native I4 with Fleet.  If you took this guy as the HQ of the Baal strike force he is already I5 so you are looking at an I6 minimum.  Did I say he had force ?.  This guy is another CC beast.  Play tested Mephiston Dante DC Dreads and the Librarian.  Both Mephiston and The Librarian Dread scar the pants off Eldar Wraith Knights.   Dante and 10 DC using hit and run is hilarious at least for the BA player. 

Shred is nice for those annoying '1's to wound, but maybe it's better to spring for the librarian dread? A lvl 1 isn't that much more expensive compared to a furioso and you can always count on having the BA primaris if you want a buff.  Provided of course you have a HQ slot available. 

Good advice.  My problem is that I don't have the arm for the halberd, and it requires a blue paintjob, which makes swapping out for a Frag Cannon difficult.  If you have the model though, the Librarian Dreadnought is also a very worthwhile upgrade to the Furioso.

The bigger question is why use dreads at all? Walkers are too slow and too vulnerable. Besides, there are better choices in HQ and far better ones in Elite.

I could see myself taking a Libby Furioso if he had the old Wings of Sanguinius, that way he could at least keep up. Right now the pod lands and dreads becomes useless with his 6" movement.

The bigger question is why use dreads at all? Walkers are too slow and too vulnerable. Besides, there are better choices in HQ and far better ones in Elite.

I could see myself taking a Libby Furioso if he had the old Wings of Sanguinius, that way he could at least keep up. Right now the pod lands and dreads becomes useless with his 6" movement.

I disagree; All three kinds of BA dreads have their uses relative to other choices:

Heavy Dreads: Mobile TL Lascannon, Missile launcher is a pretty good choice.  Its possible replacement, the Fast Pred competes with Baals and Storm Ravens.  If you're stuck for HS slots, it's a solid long range High S unit.

Furioso Dreads: AV13 walker with Shredding I5 WS5 S10 melee attacks, template S6-5 weapons and Melta?  I can't see any Elites choice matching this for points cost.

DC Dread: Granted, this one badly competes with a DC squad, and I'd rather take a DC squad than this as well, myself.. Its major advantage for me would be that it can ride on a Storm Raven along with another unit, unlike the DC.

Librarian Dread: HQ, frees up an elite slot, character, psyker, S10 Force attacks, Melta weapon, incredibly good statline..  Seriously, this thing is one of the best HQ choices in our codex.

EDIT: And yes, I can't count..  That's four kinds of dreads, not three. :D

Has it suddenly become a good idea to pack the stormraven full of units? a lot of people seem(ed) to think that that is too many eggs in one fragile basket. I too like the idea but possibly losing 500+ points to a single lascannon shot, sounds very risky.

Finally received my Deathstorm box. Looks like it will be a long wait for the Codex. For some reasons, preorders seem to be posted at the day of release - anyone know what the point of that is? I would imagine they should be posted a couple of days earlier (hence the PREorder) so that the order would arrive at the time of release...

Guaranteeing delivery by release date meant that the order would often arrive before release date. And instead they guarantee delivery to store, where they have an opportunity to upsell.

If I preorder something and set "fetch from closest store" as delivery method, is it available on the release date?

I have a bit of problem with the next prereleases. I'm leaving home for xmas on the following release date and not coming back for a couple of weeks. It could be an opportunity to fetch the products from local GW store that morning before departing the town. If I use UPS as with earlier releases the package would probably be delivered while I'm absent and returned to sender...

So here's a question. I'm sure this is wrong but no rulebook on hand. Any independent character can join a character unless they are a monstrous creature. I'm about 70 that's the wording of the rule. Does that mean an IC can join the Libby dred as he is a character? That would be hilarious, termie storm shield captain or something :P

If someone can check, I'm most likely wrong but it's a funny idea.

Be loyal to your local store.

My bad... however my nearest store is a 45 minute journey by car and foot, and my car is 25 years old!

For the benefit of the store, I would hope Games Workshop operate a common practice whereby online sales figures from customers within a certain geographic location contribute to the store's sales targets. Otherwise there's no incentive for them to refer customers online for products they don't have in stock etc...

Archived