The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

Guys the deathstorm box is killer man I love it I got it tuesday and Boy oh boy Its worth it

Oh yeah I got mine Tuesday aswell sold the bugs to a friend of mine to resupply my paint stores while I wrestle with going back to BA or keep painting silver marines and join the venerable Electric paladin as a renegade.
I love that I'm becoming the best-known Knights of Blood partisan here. For the Emperor!
I have to admit I've been siting on the fence a while about silver or red marines when I start back up

As an aside Electric you are to blame for me ever considering the Knights of blood I was going to do flesh tearers before we got to talking and yeah ALL YOUR FAULT!

to just randomly deciding to murder a bunch of Sororitas.

That seems like a thing recently. Maybe they are just weak to peer pressure?

Well, the Grey Knights did it, so we figured it might help us against the vile chaos scum and then we kind of got carried away and...

Well, I officially feel sorry for any Flesh Tearer players. Your flanderization is nearly complete. According to White Dwarf, you've gone from overrunning the enemy and hitting a friendly Guard unit who were outflanking the enemy because you got carried away... to just randomly deciding to murder a bunch of Sororitas.

"Wait...those were friendlies?!?!"

Spill the beans on the objectives!!!

Are you crazy? I just got these!

Not gonna ruin them with a can of heinz. tongue.png

"AM I CRAZY!!! MY SON WE ARE DEFENDING THE WALLS OF TERRA! THERES THAT TRAITOR HORUS!"

*foams at mouth while being carted off by chaplains*

I just saw the wings of Sanguinius psychic power over on BoLS, and you can have a whole squad use it!

...except it's WC2 and doesn't allow you to assault after use.

I'd like to quote some British vernacular and say, "Bullocks!"

Yeah, I honestly don't understand not being able to assault afterwards. All of the reveals have been a roller coaster ride for me, awesome then crappy then awesome then crappy. Can't wait to actually get my codex and start figuring it all out for myself.

Spill the beans on the objectives!!!

Are you crazy? I just got these!

Not gonna ruin them with a can of heinz. tongue.png

"AM I CRAZY!!! MY SON WE ARE DEFENDING THE WALLS OF TERRA! THERES THAT TRAITOR HORUS!"

*foams at mouth while being carted off by chaplains*

I just saw the wings of Sanguinius psychic power over on BoLS, and you can have a whole squad use it!

...except it's WC2 and doesn't allow you to assault after use.

I'd like to quote some British vernacular and say, "Bullocks!"

Yeah, I honestly don't understand not being able to assault afterwards. All of the reveals have been a roller coaster ride for me, awesome then crappy then awesome then crappy. Can't wait to actually get my codex and start figuring it all out for myself.

Well, as I understand that power, you get your normal move, then the 12 inch in the psychic phase, so that's a pretty big move potential before charging. Might be an awesome way to get melta close.

to just randomly deciding to murder a bunch of Sororitas.

That seems like a thing recently. Maybe they are just weak to peer pressure?

Everyone knows the quickest path between two points is butchering through a sororitas squad.

- Gabriel Seth on Gaius point

I think I've seen it posted earlier that we could take a special and heavy weapon in 5 man tacticals. 

This is not correct. It's either a special or heavy for every 5 marines. And never double special or heavy weapons.

Minor gripe but why do they give everyone the option of the near useless teleport homer while restricting the use of actually useful locator beacons?

Wings is the most pointless power in the entire game. Worse than Jaws of the World Wolf and that new Nid one the Maleceptor gets

Hyperbole much?? 

Three ideas off the top of my head - 

Use 1: 

Post deepstrike reconfiguration/movement.

Use 2: 

Moving an entire squad of Jumpers, Tacs, stern or slow Termies etc into better position for firing/counter/redeploy.

Use 3:

If you're playing Maelstrom and an objective is otherwise out of reach.

I dont think this should have been a level 2 power.   But I think its a tactical power, and a smart one at that.  For objective based games, this is a winner. Move 6" (or 12") , Wings 12"  and run d6"? Nah dude.  This is good stuff.  Not as good as it could have been- i'll give you that. But good nevertheless

I think it's the worst power in our new deck. Not because it's useless, far from it, but because it's a WC2 power I could end up with on a unit that really doesn't need it.

Not a huge deal on a ML2 psyker but somewhat crippling on a ML1 one. 

DC dreads and furioso dreads fill very different roles. 

With DC dreads you get a massive amount of high S, low AP attacks. 6 without buffs. Furioso only excels with the frag cannon.

However, I'm not sure DC dreads are worth it anymore. The difference between WS4 and WS5 is significant for a single model unit that lives and dies on burst damage. 

The old DC dread was often my MVP, have to playtest them for a few games to see if they still rock.

My experience is different, the AV13 really makes up for loss of attacks, and now with Shredding S10 the difference in A numbers will be even less significant.  Being able to wade into a bunch of MEQ with no fear of Krak grenades makes the Furioso infinitely better in my mind..  With the old codex, I could see how the DC Dread could be very useful as a meatgrinder against orc/tau/eldar/guard blobs and the like; but with the new rules, I feel it's kind of out of place..

Librarian Dreads are a character and can call a challenge then instagib almost any T5 character in the game now just put the Quickening on him. You have a fleeting monster with WS5, shred, AP2 and D3 initiative and attacks on top of his native I4 with Fleet.  If you took this guy as the HQ of the Baal strike force he is already I5 so you are looking at an I6 minimum.  Did I say he had force ?.  This guy is another CC beast.  Play tested Mephiston Dante DC Dreads and the Librarian.  Both Mephiston and The Librarian Dread scar the pants off Eldar Wraith Knights.   Dante and 10 DC using hit and run is hilarious at least for the BA player. 

I'm not entirely sure how Libby Dreads and Mephiston scare Wraithknights. The Wraithknight will likely by moving 12" and firing S10 Distort shots at them.

Libby Dreads in particular really needed Wings. They're too slow and fragile.

Caution this is not a criticism its an early competitive assessment.  I have played 4 games with the new codex at 1750-1850 pts BA on BA and BA against competitive elder.  The BA codex is awesome for me and the BA took out a tourney elder army.    But I wish to respond.

DC/Mephiston Libby Dread still create on average a 19 inch threat radius from assault.  The BA Primaris provides fleet to the target unit so the threat range is more around 21-22 inch for foot units.  Picking up a 5++ or shrouded in there is nice but so is the powers in Divination/Prescience. 

Agreed the dread needed wings in competitive terms but it is what it is, no point in thinking about what it should be.   The whole BA codex is let down by not having a points efficient delivery system for the superior close combat units it now contains.  We play tested  a Stormraven with libby dread/DC dreads in it.  Once out its easy enough for  Dreads to grab cover/shrouded/stealth?  Not all Wraith Knights are running Distort weapons in our local meta.  Mephiston joined with Death Company allows him to tank wounds or look out sir the nasty ones.   If I see one glaring issue in the BA codex its the delivery systems for the close combat units we want to use.  Ravens/Raiders/Jump packs/foot are the only assault systems available.  There is so much shooting on the board in 7th marines in the open die... a lot.  That leaves you with invisibility  (for as long as it keeps its current form) and you must look at another codex for that power.  Loth from Badab can easily provide Invisibility with 100% guarantee, he picks his powers, but he is another HQ in a low model army.  I am leaning towards DC and either Dante or Mephiston, now thats a lot of points.  But very effective.

My mate is already painting up 5 drop pods and meching up, that may be one way the (competitive) BA lists go.

As a laugh and giggles unit I am thinking 5 Fleeting Death Company with Jump packs and a BA JP Libby (BA primaris fleet again plus D3 attacks and Initiative) coming out of a storm raven, thats a big threat range of around 25 to 28 inches.   Thats around 400-450 pts of Stay the hell away from me!  For any army

Wings is the most pointless power in the entire game. Worse than Jaws of the World Wolf and that new Nid one the Maleceptor gets

Hyperbole much?? 

Three ideas off the top of my head - 

Use 1: 

Post deepstrike reconfiguration/movement.

Use 2: 

Moving an entire squad of Jumpers, Tacs, stern or slow Termies etc into better position for firing/counter/redeploy.

Use 3:

If you're playing Maelstrom and an objective is otherwise out of reach.

I dont think this should have been a level 2 power.   But I think its a tactical power, and a smart one at that.  For objective based games, this is a winner. Move 6" (or 12") , Wings 12"  and run d6"? Nah dude.  This is good stuff.  Not as good as it could have been- i'll give you that. But good nevertheless

Agree. It seems like a safe 'gate of infinity'.

A jump unit being able to cover 24+D6" per turn? Tacticals in a rhino going 24" up the board with 3 template weapons?

Sounds glorious.

I think it's the worst power in our new deck. Not because it's useless, far from it, but because it's a WC2 power I could end up with on a unit that really doesn't need it.

Not a huge deal on a ML2 psyker but somewhat crippling on a ML1 one.

I would let you re-roll in that case. A librarian can't know a power if he can't use it.

You can send allied Grav-Cents + Tiggy into a more advantageous position. But the BA can only draw limited use. If it could target vehicles... oh boy, Flying Land Raiders inc :D

You can re-roll powers if they are above your ML.

Sure I am being a bit dramatic, but a WC2 power that is THAT situational is just not good man. I would probably use it to reposition scattering alpha strike melta or shift things onto objectives, but at WC2 you need to throw 5 dice at it. That's just ludicrous.

After reading all 92 pages of this thread, I think I've decided on my new favorite unit--Dante Deathstar!!

Dante

Sanguinary Guard x10, Chapter Banner, goodies

Sanguinary priest, relics to taste, jump pack

Librarian, Jump pack, relics to taste

its expensive, beefy, and hits like 3 tons of bricks to the face.  Although my local tournaments have yet to allow LoW...I may have to work with that a bit, or make a pseudo-Dante  with a Captain and relics.  Hate to miss out on the joys of H&R though.

And since I've been playing Eldar for the last year-ish, I think i can officially say I am back in business!  This new codex has got me all fired up to throw down some marines and get to choppin'

After reading all 92 pages of this thread, I think I've decided on my new favorite unit--Dante Deathstar!!

Dante

Sanguinary Guard x10, Chapter Banner, goodies

Sanguinary priest, relics to taste, jump pack

Librarian, Jump pack, relics to taste

its expensive, beefy, and hits like 3 tons of bricks to the face.  Although my local tournaments have yet to allow LoW...I may have to work with that a bit, or make a pseudo-Dante  with a Captain and relics.  Hate to miss out on the joys of H&R though.

And since I've been playing Eldar for the last year-ish, I think i can officially say I am back in business!  This new codex has got me all fired up to throw down some marines and get to choppin'

That unit looks a ton of fun.  But man, it will not be easy to get where you want it due to the entire enemy army focused on it.  (To be fair, I intend to play a version of this, just not so blinged out, definitely not having 3 ICs in 1 unit)

Archived