The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

Guys the deathstorm box is killer man I love it I got it tuesday and Boy oh boy Its worth it

Oh yeah I got mine Tuesday aswell sold the bugs to a friend of mine to resupply my paint stores while I wrestle with going back to BA or keep painting silver marines and join the venerable Electric paladin as a renegade.

Dreads may be effective, but they are slow.  

That's why we use a raven to get them into combat. Difficult to hide from that. 

Riding the raven is relatively safe sine even if it gets shot down you no longer automatically take the S10 hit at rear AV. 

Comparing them to space wolf dreads aren't fair. Without allies they lack the very important storm raven deployment/redeployment option. 

The good thing about about a dread is that it's completely immune to certain form of attacks. Apply it in the correct place and they'll shine.

Probably not going to be my only HQ anyway. 

Dreads definitely still take a S10 hit on rear armor if the SR crashes and burns while zooming. If it dies while hovering it's only S4.

The only buff is that in 7th edition fliers are harder to destroy (4+ jink) and the vehicle damage table is better, so you're less likely to get destroyed by that auto-pen.

Got mine!! Whoop whoop!

[/jelly]

Are Ravens even worth it? Flyers usually come too late to have any impact on the game and leaving so many points in reserve may hurt your ground presence. You think it's worth including an empty Raven as a gunship? It does benefit from Dante's DoA.

How so? Ravens don't deep strike any more, do they?

Guys the deathstorm box is killer man I love it I got it tuesday and Boy oh boy Its worth it

Sure. 

$50 for Terminators retail, $33 for an Assault squad and $46 for a Dreadnought kit is $129 US retail cost - more than the cost of the box set itself.... and that's just the Space Marine models.

Dreads definitely still take a S10 hit on rear armor if the SR crashes and burns while zooming. If it dies while hovering it's only S4.

It takes a S10 hit yes, but which AV is now unspecified.

So you just use the highest (front)?

Found out that my Codex, Tac squad, and datacards have been shipped! ...Then I discovered they were shipped via smartpost. I'll be lucky if I get this stuff before Christmas now! *grumbles*

So, while I wait I may as well ask: Any decent fluff on the Successors? Or is it just a picture and small blurb regarding them?

It takes a S10 hit yes, but which AV is now unspecified.

So you just use the highest (front)?

Since it's unclear I make a point to discuss it before the game when I face a new opponent.

On tourneys I've had it ruled in just about every way. Players choice (controlling or attacking), rear, side, random (most common). 

Got mine!! Whoop whoop!

[/jelly]

Are Ravens even worth it? Flyers usually come too late to have any impact on the game and leaving so many points in reserve may hurt your ground presence. You think it's worth including an empty Raven as a gunship? It does benefit from Dante's DoA.

No, but if you read his DoA rule, he allows to re-roll reserves for JP, Anti-Grav and Flyers.

Got mine!! Whoop whoop!

[/jelly]

No, but if you read his DoA rule, he allows to re-roll reserves for JP, Anti-Grav and Flyers.

Ah yes, of course! Alas, I don't have the codex yet.

Magna grapples giving move through terrain helps dreadnoughts dropping out the back of stormraven, right? Since if they scatter, they now auto pass the dangerous terrain test? If so, I'm buying that every game now that I use the raven. I rarely have it assault off the raven because if it drops out, it will assault next turn anyways, and the interceptor fire now has a decision to make and my tavern will not have to hover.

Oh yeah I got mine Tuesday aswell sold the bugs to a friend of mine to resupply my paint stores while I wrestle with going back to BA or keep painting silver marines and join the venerable Electric paladin as a renegade.

I love that I'm becoming the best-known Knights of Blood partisan here. For the Emperor!

This reminds me of how I felt when I first saw the 5th ed dex, and the variety of unique characters. Only this time not only do their abilities do them justice (mostly at least) but they also overlap beautifully and allow a truly awesome force to be fielded.

Not just jump packs either, as pods keep springing to mind when I am thinking of lists and tactics - as you do when you are at work - and I am enjoying the conundrum of deciding on 5 sternguard with combi-grav or 10 tacs with 2 grav and pistol. The furioso libby is another, I want to try it but another jump lib might be better in this army. Anyway here's my 1850 so far:

Dante (warlord)

Librarian. Epistolary. Relic jump pack

Librarian. Epistolary. Jump pack. Relic (?)

Damocles command rhino

10 - man Sanguinary Guard. Chapter banner. 2 power fists. 8 glaive encarmine swords

10 - man tactical squad. 2 Heavy flamers. Sergeant has combi-flamer, power sword and meltabombs. Drop pod

10 - man tactical squad. 2 grav guns. Sergeant has combi-grav, power sword and meltabombs. Drop pod.

5 - man ASM. 2 meltaguns. Sergeant has 2 infernus pistols. Drop pod.

5 - man ASM. 2 meltaguns. Sergeant has 2 infernus pistols. Jump packs.

This is on or near 1600 points so far.

Lacking anti-air. A Sicaran is my No. 1 choice and that leaves some points to play with, probably a jump chaplain with the relic sword. Otherwise pfft to AA and take a strong tooled-up DC.

Any thoughts most welcome :)

Regarding the tactical objectives...

I found the one where your opponent gets to pick two objectives to be a fun twist. I bet the ultra competitive crowd is going to hate that one :p

Also getting a point for having your warlord killed. Ha! 

Perfect for me since my reclusiarch haven't won a single challenge so far? 

Spill the beans on the objectives!!!

Are you crazy? I just got these!

Not gonna ruin them with a can of heinz. tongue.png

EDIT:

Issue a challenge

Kill an enemy unit with a BA skimmer, jump or flyer unit. d3 if this is done when arriving from reserves.

Kill a unit in the assault phase, scales up in the usual manner for additional kills, max 6+ units

Slay the warlord

opponent gets to pick 2 objective for you to hold at the end of the turn

have your warlord slain in your own assault phase

Spill the beans on the objectives!!!

Are you crazy? I just got these!

Not gonna ruin them with a can of heinz. :p

"AM I CRAZY!!! MY SON WE ARE DEFENDING THE WALLS OF TERRA! THERES THAT TRAITOR HORUS!"

*foams at mouth while being carted off by chaplains*

I just saw the wings of Sanguinius psychic power over on BoLS, and you can have a whole squad use it!

...except it's WC2 and doesn't allow you to assault after use.

I'd like to quote some British vernacular and say, "Bullocks!"

Well, I officially feel sorry for any Flesh Tearer players. Your flanderization is nearly complete. According to White Dwarf, you've gone from overrunning the enemy and hitting a friendly Guard unit who were outflanking the enemy because you got carried away... to just randomly deciding to murder a bunch of Sororitas.

Archived