The lord on Manticore cloak would be cool, and the chains would go well with the Grave Wardens too.

IIRC KrautScientist used that cloak on his Angron Primarch model instead of the fur cloak.

• 4 weeks later...
Got in a game Saturday

4k, brought my Vlka Fenryka 

Maelstrom Mission 3

**The army is in the middle of being stripped and waiting for Infero, so please forgive their appearance**

The Wolves of Fenris, 4000 points

HQ: Herald

Elite: Terminators x10 in souped up Spartan

Elite: Terminators x10 in souped up Spartan

Troops: Breachers x10 in Land Raider

Troops: Breachers x10 in Land Raider

Heavy Support: Predator with Plasma Executioner

Heavy Support: Predator with Plasma Executioner

Lord of War: Leman Russ with Cataphractii Command Squad in Land Raider

Vlka Fenryka deployment

Imperial Fist deployment

Table view

The Wolves went first...but didnt do much. I put a hull point of damage on 2 land raiders and one of the three predators.

The Imperial Fists tanks jockey for position

An Ironclad dreadnought emerges from a Drop Pod

In my Turn 2, the Breachers charge the Dreadnought

and despite losing 2 of their number, make short work of the Dreadnought

A Terminator Squad emerges from the Spartan to claim an objective

A second Ironclad thunders down, but move more defensively than his fallen brother

Through massed firepower, the first Spartan is glanced to death

Brother Gruis deployed his pods perfectly to block the road and cause me problems

Edited by Wolf Lord Kieran

From a Land Raider, a most dangerous target appears...Grav armed Centurions

climbing over the wreckage of their Spartan, the Terminators prepare to face the guns of the Imperial Fists

finally tiring of the stalemate, the Vlka Fenryka aggressively move towards the line of enemy Land Raiders

the massed fire of the Vlka Fenryka strip off more hull points and kill 2 of the 3 centurions while the Breacher squad the second Ironclad dreadnought

This isnt looking pretty for the Terminators...

The Wolves deployment zone is near empty while everything pushes forward

This time losing another 3 of their number, the Breachers finally destroy the Ironclad

The Herald and Cataphractii Terminatorsemerge from their dead Spartan tank, which lost its last hull points to the grav cannons of the last Centurion

it took, no joke, both predators and the Land Raider to destroy a single Drop Pod

Russ and his Command Squad emerge to charge the Land Raider Lysander is embarked on

The last Centurion, proving to be a massive pain in my butt, kills 3 charging Cataphractii with his overwatch fire before falling to the Herald's lightning claw. The chainfist of the Cataphractii make short work of the Land Raider

After crawling over their dead Spartan and facing the massed guns of the Imperial Fists, the last 3 Terminators crash into combat

The 3 Terminators kill 9 of the 10 Tactical Marines, leaving the missile launcher in combat. The Breachers moved to kill the second drop pod, the last Centurion and Land Raider fell to the Herald and Cataphractii while Russ and his Command Squad killed Lysander's Land Raider

Due to a box being left behind, Lysander will be represented by a Terminator Librarian for this combat sequence

The Herald falls to a lascannon blast while the remaining Cataphractii are slowly killed by massed bolter and plasma fire

Ouch time

Lysander, a Librarian and Assault Squad charge Russ and his Command Squad...who got Enfeebled by foul magicks

while a Captain and Command Squad charge the lone Cataphractii Terminator

and a Tactical Squad and Heavy Bolter Support Squad charge into the last 2 Terminators

The Captain's squad kills the lone Cataphractii, Russ puts 2 wounds on Lysander and takes none in return, while poor rolls on my part mean Lysander's squad survives

The massed squads tear down the last 2 Terminators

the final score...the first 4 Turns were extremely tight in score, but Turn 5 I was able to pull ahead with a key d3 roll an a little luck

and a look at my extremely, extremely WiP Russ.

Game thoughts and final comments

-at 4k that list is too small for my liking. I had 2 squads left above full strength. Im unlikely to do anything with the Wolves until Inferno drops though.

-I need to not be so cautious with the Land Raiders. It took me till Turn 3/4 to say "screw it" and just drive up the narrow road. Even then it took me charging Russ's Land Raider through alot of dangerous terrain to get them into combat.

-I need to learn to manage heavy armor better. I blocked myself a few times. Especially the Pred tanks. They were forced to dance around buildings and Land Raiders to pull off shots.

-While I do it often, Im rarely on the receiving end of Drop Pod blocking key routes. I never realized just how annoying they are!

-BG and I rolled out the Russ vs Lysander fight, just to see how it would end. Russ would defeat Lysander in another 2 rounds of combat, but take 3 wounds in doing do. Not overly impressed with the "make-do" rules right now.

-Grav Centurions...they will die the moment I see them on the table. They were too hateful today

-Unit of the match goes to my Breacher Squad for dropping 2 Ironclad Dreadnoughts, a Drop Pod and scoring me 2 Secure Objective 1 cards.

That's all for now, thanks all!

Wolf Lord Kieran

Awesome battle report , very  fun read! 

Thanks for reading.

This game didnt feel as "epic" as my usual games, but was still fun to play.

Russ is looking really good.

Another great battle report.

I am the same as you when it comes to armour,

I've never used alot of tanks, so this is a good learning curve for me. 

I'm going to have to start driving them harder soon

Centurions can't over watch since they are S&P. Great report !

I havent played 40k since about when they dropped, and my opponent is just getting back into regular play. We'll be sure to remember that for next time! 

It looks like a very epic game. Very Sorry I wasn't able to make the drive up there. 

It was a fun game, and you were definetely missed. Maybe next time! after next Saturday, Im free for the foreseeable future

• 3 weeks later...

Got a 5k game scheduled this weekend against Uberwolve.

Im going to try out the new Wolf rules, so expect lots of proxies and such.

First trial list

HQs
1) Wolf Lord in Cataphractii armor
2) Rune Priest in Aether rune armor
3) Rune Priest in Aether rune armor
4) Wolf Priest in Aether rune armor
5) Herald in Aether rune armor

Troops
1) 1x10 Grey Slayers in Rhino
2) 1x20 Grey Slayers
3) 1x10 Varagyr Terminators
4) 1x10 Varagyr Terminators in Spartan (Wolf Lord goes here)

Fast Attack
1) Storm Eagle Gunship (Varagyr Terminators 3 go here)

Heavy Support
1) Spartan (Grey Slayers, Rune Priest, Wolf Priest and Herald go here)
2) Vindicator Tank Squad 1x3

Lord of War
1) Leman Russ with Command Squad in Land Raider

5004 points
-I may drop a Grey Slayer from Squad 1 to put the last Rune Priest in here.
-I dont like bringing so many HQs. The rule seems really restrictive.

-Debating dropping Russ and friends to include Deathsworn pack. not sure yet.

All for now.

WLK

I dont like Termis in Flyers , I really dont , the crash and burn is a horrifying proposition , but they are Cataprachtii  so they need to get to point B  quickly and have a 4++  incase things go bad. 

Im curious to see how this goes for you. 

So many bloody Hqs .... jeez 

I'm not crazy about it either, but it beats the alternative. With the second Spartan going towards the Grey Slayer pack, it's either a flyer or foot slogging it

I think/hope that between the amount of hate ill have on the table and the ability to jink it should last 1–2 turns

Don't forget it's AV is , if I recall, fairly durable. I've just about got my list done. Not to dissimilar from my last one. My First Legion is basically the same just reorganized a little. I have one proxy for a lightning and 8 missile launchers in my army. (One heavy support squad) As long as your flying around you have a lot less threats. I'll post my list soon.

Why would you be required to bring 5 HQ's? The Age of Darkness detachment maxes out at 3 slots. I would think that once you reach 3000 points you're home free?

Although I will say our Priests of Fenris are steals compared to all other legion consuls.

Good luck!

Why would you be required to bring 5 HQ's? The Age of Darkness detachment maxes out at 3 slots. I would think that once you reach 3000 points you're home free?

Although I will say our Priests of Fenris are steals compared to all other legion consuls.

Good luck!

The Wolf rules say 1 per every 1k being fielded, and ends with "and so on"

It's kinda harsh in my eyes

Good luck!

But it conflicts with the restriction of 3HQ in the AoD force org chart. It's not legal to take more than 3 and taking an additional detachment is a mission-specific condition. So I guess it's either break the chart or our Wolves rules. geeze.

Gotta say, FW rules writers really needs to take some grammar classes.

Good luck!

But it conflicts with the restriction of 3HQ in the AoD force org chart. It's not legal to take more than 3 and taking an additional detachment is a mission-specific condition. So I guess it's either break the chart or our Wolves rules. geeze.

That's one way to look at it. Frankly it seems to me that his mandate to take 1 hero for every 500 points is just they way FW wants Space wolves represented.  

Now.. If there were only some way to make that a waist of his points...   (Nope, can't think of one. ) 

Good luck!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/661FB53E-4D02-4CB3-8C7F-3ECB74CD97AD_zps4bcbyik3.jpeg

The rules state that 1 hq per 1,000 points regardless of the Force Allocation chart

Just as the 3rd ed book had 1 hq per 750pts, this rule states 1 per 1k

It's clear to me that it's ignoring that chart

My primary issue with it is working out where to put my HQs in Orbital Assault forces as my Slayer pods are full, particularly at the 1500 points I'm trying to build a starting force to.

Well luckily my RG use the orbital assault RoW so I'm avoiding it for my Wolves

That said, grey Slayer packs can be 9 strong at the loss of 1 special weapon option that an hq can normally carry, so it's not a total loss.

Right now I'm thinking Armored Spearhead may be my go to RoW, but the list I made above doesn't actually use a RoW