So, what was supposed to be a 4 player game became a two player game, but Uberwolve and I made the best of it. 

Dark Angels vs Raven Guard, 5k

Maelstrom Mission 3

the Raven Guard, Orbital Assault

LoW: Corax.

HQ: Praetor in Cataphractii armor
HQ: Herald 
HQ: Master of Signals

Troops: 1x10 Tactical Marines in Drop Pod

Troops: 1x10 Tactical Support Volkite Marines in Drop Pod

Elite: 1x9 Mor Deythan in Drop Pod (Herald joins squad)

Elite: 1x3 Contemptor Talon in Drop Pods

Elite: 2x1 Apothecaries with Jump Packs
Elite: 1x6 Terminators in Cataphractii Armor (Praetor joins squad)

Fast Attack: Dark Fury Assault Squad 1x10 (Apothecary joins squad)

Fast Attack: Dark Fury Assault Squad 1x10 (Apothecary joins squad)

Heavy Support: 1x1 Leviathan in Drop Pod

Heavy Support: 1x9 Heavy Support Missile Squad in Drop Pod (Master of Signals goes here)

Heavy Support: 1x1 Fire Raptor Gunship

What does such a small army look like?

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/40k%20Battles/30k%20RG%20vs%20DA%208-20-16/2016-08-20%2011.52.52_zpsx0lcyigp.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/40k%20Battles/30k%20RG%20vs%20DA%208-20-16/2016-08-20%2011.53.07_zps8dvsbjug.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/40k%20Battles/30k%20RG%20vs%20DA%208-20-16/2016-08-20%2011.53.12_zpsgpvxyznd.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/40k%20Battles/30k%20RG%20vs%20DA%208-20-16/2016-08-20%2011.53.16_zpsqoef7lbq.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/40k%20Battles/30k%20RG%20vs%20DA%208-20-16/2016-08-20%2011.53.20_zps0biemvfy.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/40k%20Battles/30k%20RG%20vs%20DA%208-20-16/2016-08-20%2011.53.24_zpsz1wpf8n2.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/40k%20Battles/30k%20RG%20vs%20DA%208-20-16/2016-08-20%2011.56.38_zpsxrtod9mu.jpg

The table pre-game

The Raven Guard Deployment...just Corax

The Dark Angels deployment. a squadron of Vindicators sitting on it's flank, with a Leviathan behind them and Terminators next to them

Closer look at Terminators

Dark Angel Deployment. Empty Rhino on hill, with Choom Cavaliers on hill and Heavy Support H-Bolters with Acid ammo infront of them

More Terminators on right flank, with Rhino carrying Veterans and a Contemptor Talon behind them. 1 dread twin Choom the other Heavy Conversion Beamer

Dark Angel Praetor with Thunder Hammer, Primus with Chainfist, Terminator Command Squad

Chaplain leading 20 strong Tactical Squad

With nothing to shoot at, UW didnt have much of a first turn. I hide Corax too well. 

The Heavy Support Squad and MoS land deep in my rear, taking position on a hill with decent LoS and plenty of cover

the Leviathan lands more aggressively, with three Tactical Squads landing on the far flank

The Tactical Squad that scattered fowards makes a hasty move away from the Dark Angels

how the table looks at the end of 1/beginning of 2

Turn 2 went quickly, with UB failing to do much damage with shooting. 

UB's Cataphractii fail their charge into a Tactical Squad

while the Praetor and friends fail to make it in contact with a Drop Pod

The Fire Raptor deep strike behind the Dark Angels, and it's guns destroy 2 of the 3 Vindicator Tanks

Turn 3, the DA Jetbikes roar ointo the table

the empty spot was where Terminators were, but the phosphex and grav bombard of the Leviathan fixed that. The DA Leviathan advances through the chemicals safely

the DA continue moving up my flank

The DA Praetor gets into combat with a Drop Pod

if the picture looks confusing, thats because the table is a mess

The Dark Furies, Mor Deythan and Praetor+Terminators arrive all off of voxes. They of course all move to clog up the center of the table

the Mor Deythan move their combi-meltas towards the Contemptor while my Leviathan exits it's destroyed to wreck somebody's face

the gap between armies

the Praetor and his squad laugh off most of the Leviathan's shooting (4++ and FnP is tough), but 2 of the command squad anf the Primus fall to the siege claw

but the Praetor flees away to safety!

The DA Tactical Squad moves to charge the hovering Fire Raptor...

but the dice again come up short for UW and the Fire Raptor is safe from harm

the RG Leviathan is flanked by both the DA Contemptor Leviathan

It's like Jurassic Park here...

"Clever girl"

the DA Leviathan is smashed into the ground, while mine takes a single hull point of damage!

My Contemptor crashes into the Jetbikes

While another charges into the DA CHoom Squad

Corax charges the rallied DA Praetor 

The RG Praetor and Command Squad charge into combat to bail out the Leviathan on it's last hull point

The Dark Fury Squad charges both the Veteran Squad and Terminator squad

The Contemptor smashes 3 jetbikes to the ground but falls to the Sergeant's melta bombs

While Corax and the Praetor trade wounds, the Dark Fury Squad wipes out their opponents with no losses in return

Looks like a whole confusing tangle going on.. Bigger table needed?

I don't think it was that bad. Very congested sure enough.  WLK hadn't played using my terrain before, I don't think so I wanted to use a bunch of it. Really change it up. 

He played the landscape really well. His droppods made it really claustrophobic blocking up even more of the table. I wouldn't have used that much terrain for 4 players if our original game plan had happened.

It was an interesting first game of 30K.  Once again my dice were not overly kind to me. We decided My army needs a lot more transports. 

And that I should discard a card a turn just to keep the cards from holding me back. I had lots of objective I was unable to reach and needed to discard them to "improve" my chances. lol.

Looks like a whole confusing tangle going on.. Bigger table needed?

I think the table may have been a little heavier on terrain than Im used to, but the size was fine. 

The hammer and anvil deployment would have given us alot of room, if I played a normal deployed army. But my pods all arrived in the halfway point, meaning the majority of the game was played within a 2ft area. 

Cant blame the table for its (mis)use by the players. 

A side bonus to that table was the amount of cover I could improve. With camo cloaks on most of my characters I made even shaky saves somewhat reliable. That was immense in helping me weather through the DA shooting...especially those hateful acid ammo

Try and give a few of the 30k Missions a try! They're pretty fun and Book 6 has some pretty unique ones.

I figure I will, sooner or later, but right now Im getting a game in once every 3 weeks or so. I would rather play something tried and tested to be fun than gamble on something. 

as much as I think 7th edition 40k has gone crazy, I absolutely love Maelstrom missions. 

WLK

Iron Warrior.

I thought you hated Perturabo?

I do, I just hate the other options more.

-Konrad would play too similar to my RG, and Angron would more white than I'm comfortable painting. So they are out

-Not a fan of Fulgrim in the slightest, though purple could be fun

-I hate everything BL has done with the Alpha Legion, so they were never on the table

-Hours is a diva, and I don't wanna paint black again.

-Mortarion was a contender, but I severely dislike his model (I made a joke about how it looks like he is hula hooping, now I can't unsee it)

-Magnus doesn't have rules, but I never liked the arrogant prick anyway.

-RR already does the Word Bearers, so that's a no-go

I was stuck between the Death Guard and Iron Warriors, and figured the IW do the artillery train better. I've never played a artillery based army before so this could b a fun change

WLK

Edited by Wolf Lord Kieran

@Dantay: I've been a loyalist so long I have a dislike of most of the traitor primarchs. Im trying to be more open, and build and army that would compliment RR's Word Bearers.

A D-B, curses to his pen, had me re-evaluate Curze, Angron and Lorgar. Every NL list I built came out too similar to my RG. If I'm building a traitor army for the first time I don't wanna copy something I already did.

My current Wolf army is pretty much what I was going to build if I went for Angron, so I discounted them (and that hurt, trust me)

Betrayer41: he was a 20 min paint job before bed last night, with most of the time being spent on fixing the hazard coloring. My hand isn't steady enough for clean lines so there was plenty of clean up time needed!

@A D-B: would it be too much to say I internally squee'd when I saw you commented on my thread?

And thank you! I am worried his thunder hammer (carried across his chest) may block it, but last night I thought it was perfect.

I am debating on finding a small decal and adding the legion number there, or leaving it as is.

Damn beat me to it!!

Also i was about to comment on how clean they are. I fully support the IW good choice!

3 weeks offshore and finally home with the missus.

Invest in tamiya masking tape.

Lay down the yellow. Varnish then use the tape to help do the stripes consistently.

You could also do chevrons.

Bw Thats mighty generous.

Might go Night Lords as I love the Curze model but SoH would be cool to go with my Horus.

Think Night Lords have been done to death on here

Edited by dantay_xv

Its a shame you  didint want to run World Eaters , I  would have mailed you my Angron and  Khârn for free. 

is it too late to strip the model...

no, no no.

If the Vlka Fenryka release is disappointing, I'll be hitting you up

3 weeks offshore and finally home with the missus.

Invest in tamiya masking tape.

Lay down the yellow. Varnish then use the tape to help do the stripes consistently.

You could also do chevrons.

Certainly a good idea. I may try that out. Havent takena look at the IW model line yet.

Didn't get much done last night. Spent most of the time looking for the bionic arm he has. It was an epic quest for a single bit that could have been solved if I sat down and put more thought into it.

Instead I went to Mordor and back, the long way.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/HH%20Traitor%20project/B3286FA4-E7B9-4B2C-A0FE-0B8167BB0432_zpslllamsv4.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/HH%20Traitor%20project/784C316C-9135-4B14-AC6B-DD4D0546DC7C_zpsmpigv1aq.jpg

Trial list ideas

Praetor

Consul: Siege Breaker

Tactical Squad 3x20

Tactical Support Choom Squad 2x10

Rapier Phosphex Battery 1x3

Rapier Shatter Battery 2x3

Artillery Battery 1x3 Basilisks

Land Raider Achilles Alpha-Phosphex

Perturabo carrying Forgebreaker with Tormenter-Space Marine crew

Comes out to 4330 points

Trying to figure out how I can deliver maximized HATE using the Ironfire RoW

Whirlwind Scorpius' have got barrage weaponry. Or you could go for ultra filth and have a Leviathan Talon with Phoxphex dischargers in there too

Edit: A Master of Signal's orbital bombardment is a barrage too

Edited by Balthamal