Casual 30K Hobby Challenge - Month 5 - January

Kor'Vesh

January – Week one

Forget 2014. 2015 is the year of huge pledges, optimism and rapid progress. I have pledges coming out of my ears, loads of participants, and loads models in progress.

Anyway, let’s have a look at the teams:

The Traitors - followers of Horus - the heretics, followers of the warp (8 members)

Brother Vidius – The IVth Legion Astartes, Iron Warriors: 10 Close combat based Tactical marines, 10 Cataphractii, Spartan assault tank, 4 Rhinos, 3 Predators, Sicaran Venator, Medusa

Gizur – The XVIth Legion Astartes, Word Bearers: Praetor, Moritat, Predator and Vindicator

Der_H – The IIIrd Legion Astartes, Emperor’s Children: Land Speeder

Fire Golem – The XVIth Legion Astartes, Sons of Horus: Contemptor

Wyvern – The VIIIth Legion Astartes, Night Lords: Konrad Curze

Laborer DNA – The XIIth Legion Astartes, World Eaters: 5 Rampagers

Lukee - The VIIIth Legion Astartes, Night Lords: 5 Man Terror Squad

Galron – The IVth Legion Astartes, Iron Warriors: 5 Tyrant Siege Terminators

The Loyalists - beloved of the Emperor - the loyal sons (16 members)

StruManChu – The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists: Master of Signals, 5 Cataphractii, 4 Breachers

Castiel – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders: Cataphractii praetor, 5 Firedrakes, 10 tactical marines

Kor’Vesh – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders: Vulkan, one grav Rapier and an apothecary

Barabbas Sogolon – The VIth and XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Unification Era (loyalists): one space wolf and one Salamander captain

Reyner – The IVth Legion Astartes, Loyalist Iron Warriors: 1 Sicaran (Ghost of Iron)

Kurama – The XIIth Legion Astartes, Loyalist World Eaters: 10 Assault marines and a Solar Auxillia Lord Commander 1 Terminator Praetor and 5 terminators

LionOfJudah – The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists – Iron Fists: Assemble 10 tactical marines (worth 3 points)

Jeremy1391 – The XIXth Legion Astartes, Raven Guard: Aquilla Strong Point (vehicle points)

Slipstreams – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders: One heavy flamer cataphractii

Ironwrought Huw – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands: One terminator Iron Father

Atia – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders: Five pyroclasts and nine Firedrakes

Mind of Metal – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands: Castramen Orth on foot, 5 Tactical marines, 1 Thallax

Leoric – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands: 5 Tactical Marines

Stormborn ­– The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists: 1 Centurion

Daemon2027 – The Solar Auxillia: 2 lasrifle sections, one flamer section, two storm sections and a leman russ incinerator

Dim Dim ­– The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists: Five Destroyers

The double agents – probably Alpharius and Omegron… (2 members)

Raktra – The XIth Legion Astartes, Beserkers of Uran: Dorran Kldier – Special Character

AND – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands: 5 Breachers

Zedmeister – The Vth Legion Astartes, White Scars: 5 Marines

AND – The XXth Legion Astartes. Alpha Legion: 15 Marines

So a huge number of pledges. In total we have 233 models pledged to be painted, worth 384 points. Over the last three months I’ve run this, we’ve only had 210 models pledge in total! Huge effort guys, but can you live up to it?

A special mention has to go to both Brother Vidius, with a personal pledge worth 90 points, and Daemon 2027, with a 76 point pledge. We also have a further seven players pledging at least 10 points worth of models. All this sets us up for the fiercest competition yet, but there is still plenty of time for more pledges guys! Finally - there is a lot to keep track of here, so let me know if I got your pledge or allegiance wrong!

Pledged Score

Traitors 162 points (across 68 models) Vs 222 points of Loyalists (across 168 models)

Once again the Loyalists have the lead in pledged, but will have to paint 100 more models than the traitors to get full marks! A strong performance from either of our massive pledges could swing the battle either way.

Current scores

Lots of progress on all of these pledges already, but only a couple of pledge completions.

Pledges – Traitors 0 – 2 Loyalists

Both Raktra and Jeremy1391 have completes their pledges for the loyalists, giving us five excellent Xth legion breachers and a fantastically weathered Aquilla strong point – the loyalists seem to be raising their defences against and Iron Warrior surge already… and they have good reason…

Score – Traitors 24 – 23 Loyalists

That's right, despite no complete pledges Brother Vidius’ work on his huge Iron Warrior pledge has equalled the work of the loyalists alone, with the ever reliable Gizur’s Word Bearer command units pushing the balance in their favour. Unbelievably my own completion (that’s right, I, Kor’Vesh, painted something in week 1) of Vulkan, a lone Imperial Fist’s destroyer from DimDim (a beautifully battered appearance on this model), and Mind of Metal's Castramen Orth didn’t tip things in the loyalist’s favour.

Progress

Given the huge participation this month, I’m not going to summarize everyone’s progress in this post today – that is what the thread is for after all! Suffice to say there has been a lot of progress and I can see the scores ratcheting up next week. We’re in a fight guys, let’s make the most of the New Year’s energy!

Kor’Vesh

heres my WIP... waiting on the IF torsos and warm weather to build up some more doods...will be expanding my build pledge as I went ahead and ordered a MKIII Despoiler squad and the MKIII power weapons set. Should have enough bodies, spares, bits n pieces when they arrive to get going with the brethren build up when they come out smile.png-

so wanting a 50 degree temperature bump- my primer froze in the car...at least its testi shriveling cold and sunny smile.png

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/Default75/Snapbucket/6B708E5E_zpsc17b823c.jpg

Managed to get a bit more done.

One of the basic bolter guys, needs a bit of snow flock and not a great picture.

gallery_80005_9686_2388.jpg

The last of the Thallax I pledged in November and didn't get round to. All the others are painted and this brings the squad to 6. Again, needs a bit of snow flock.
gallery_80005_9686_19354.jpg

Man I have run out of like. Amazing stuff everyone, keep it going.

If you haven't noticed I have changed my name, but I'm still a loyalist at the mo!

Anyway some progress by me, the Storm sections are built. Took me a while as I made some small changes so I had 2 distinct units. Should have the flame section and the final las section built tomorrow and I can think about painting them next week.

16047853499_29e19b2305.jpg

Edit: as points go I feel a bit bad seeing as the Solar Auxilia throw up a lot of troops as standard. Then again I do have to paint them all!

Hydra... As a guardsman I appreciate your vow... As a guardsman I appreciate not having to build and paint the tercio's;)- I will be picking up 2 Dracosan's ( is that the plural or would it be dracosen or just Dracosan?;)

Karuma- looking forward to watching you kick some painting butt!

Mind of metal- Great paintjob!!

Quick update, I've started building my Terminator squad:

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh567/Vidius22/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps1d5cb413.jpg

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh567/Vidius22/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpse5ebda62.jpg

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh567/Vidius22/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps4bcbf9fc.jpg

I'm using a mix of Justaerin and Cataphractii parts to make them look brutal. Sergeants head is Chronus' helmet, pics are a bit crap so I'll get some better ones up when I've built the rest of the squad. I've got the next four days off so I'm planning to get some work done! The Venator is in soaking at the moment. Hoping to get the remaining tanks built and primed today.

Wow, so much progress and it all looks awesome.

Kor'vesh, Vulkan looks stunning mate.

I've hit a roadblock in that I don't know where I can spray my models in my new home, and the weather is not going to allow it any time soon, I will prevail though!

Bit of progress, never painted Night Lords before and wanted to try the metallic FW scheme. This is by far not finished at all but hope the armour looks Night Lordish.

IMG 0335

IMG 0334

Better pics when finished I promise.

Thanks Castiel, I'm glad you like him - too right you will prevail. Our days of failure are behind us brother! Thanks for the earlier comments too Barabbas - I enjoyed painting the dead Death Guard... might make a heretic of me yet.

Atia - Your drakes are looking very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the green highlighted so I can see how you green compares to my brighter on. Your fire is also the opposite to mine - a dark core with lighter tips. It looks very good though, very subltle transitions. Is it just done with a red glaze over yellow?

Great work as ever Mind of Metal. How big is your painted army now?

Vidius, those Cataphracti are so brutal, I really need to get some but they are so far down my army bulding list it is tragic :( More infantry is the next purchase for me.

The Hydra - thanks for pointing out your name change! I'd have missed it for a while! Its pretty confusing, the transformation of Jaspcat and Thunor's Hammer last month threw me for a bit! Great looking auxillia though - what colour scheme are you using? Don't feel bad about the points for your pledge though! Painting 70 auxilia is as tough, if not tougher than 70 marines - iis a truly worthy effort. Just make sure you get a good few done for the loyalist team!

Kurama - excited to see you bossing this challenge again, though I think Brother Vidius, The Hydra and Atia might be able to rival you...

Lukee - your metalic blue is pretty successful I like it a lot.

I've continued painting away this week. My Apothecary, for MotL is nearly done, and all of the base colours as well as a bit of detailing are finished on the rapier platform. I'm hoping to complete them this weekend and add the crew and a second apothecary to my vow, before I start on my Sicaran for Febuary. I'll be ordering the rest of the stuff for my 1000 point list soon too, and should be able to scrape together a 1250 point force at that stage, plus Vulkan. Then I can finally buy me a contemptor :D

---- January ----

Happy New Year!

Welcome members of the heresy subforum to the first Casual 30K hobby challenge of 2015. Get lots of forgeworld goodness for Christmas? Trying to make those new year's resolutions to paint on a regular basis? Crave competition to pull you through a dismal January? Then you are in the right place!

So brothers and sisters, for the Emperor or for Horus, let see some pledges!

Sorry Kor'vesh that I didn't see this earlier - is it too late to pledge?

Thanks, -OMG

January just went double Orth!

Nice to have you back Raktra, can you always communicate using hand written notes and facial expressions? It adds flavour :)

OMG - if you can paint it before the 1st of Feb then you can pledge it. It would be a pleasure to have you on board!

Almost home from my 20+ hour flight from the Philippines!! Just a single hour flight from Toronto to Montreal to go!

I will then summarily pass out and procede to procrastinate on my pledges/oathes as I get over this jetlagg.

Nice progress from everyone so far!

I OwlandMoonGuy (aka OMG for short and by reputation), being driven by the pressure of impending deadlines, desire to be a fierce competitor, possessing of very little time but avid in my appreciation of painting "little men" do hereby pledge to complete at least one Sicaran Venator and one Castallax Battle-Automata with Mauler Boltcannon and maybe even, Imperator willing, a Falchion Super-heavy, "D" damage pie-plate pitching, Lord of traitor-kicking War machine.

So there. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/30K%20Iron%20Hands/IMG_2975_zpsb14bebb9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/30K%20Iron%20Hands/IMG_2979_zpsa6263f2c.jpg

-OMG.

Another Loyalist!? unsure.png

You know, penance is always an option. If you'd like to repent of your traitorous transgressions we'd be happy to accept your application. Note that not all requests are accepted and additional supplication is advisable especially in extreme cases of planetary genocide, use of viral weaponry, corruption/enslavement of the citizenry and/or consecration of Imperial territory to any of the ruinous powers or lessor malignant entities thereof.

The Sisters of Silence are waiting to take your call (Interstellar charges at the caller's expense). If you don't hear anyone answer that's to be expected. Just leave your confession after the beep.

And don't call the Iron Hands bitter just because you killed our primarch. I'm sure we'll get over it in 10K years or so.

Cheers, -OMG

Archived