Dantay's VI Legion. Hvarls Headtakers

Dantay VI

Great Jarl, there is no failing to correct & I value everybody's opinions. I'll see how the straps contrast with the gems when they are done. If it looks off then I will lighten them up a bit.

Rayray. I want to try sponging etc, but scared I'll completelt ruin my model. As I use te paint brush for everything, I wouldn't want to see all the time I have invested in my models wrecked. I have actually almost stopped using nuln oil, and now use either agrax or Drakenhof Nightshade (dark blue) instead. I also did not use black as a primer or base colour on Horus at all (except the shoulders and buckle). I am finding Dryad Bark is tops for the base coat. It is dark enough for the deep colours. If it peeks thorough it looks like the model got grimy. It is also not too bad a base for starting the golds too.

Might do what kizzdougs does & actually chip and ding the model to create real life weathering :smile.:

Bladewolf: Horus & Angron were just fun pieces as these were models I had wanted for a very long time. I might get Abaddon & Loken, plus some terminators for a Pride of the Legion unit, but otherwise no plans as of yet. I would however love to do a Luna Wolves army. A few other models I would like to get over time are: Russ (I will pre-order was soon as he is available) Ferrus Mannus, Perturabo, Curze, Sevatar, Polux, Sigismund, Corax, Garro, Eidolon, Khârn, Dynat . Vulkan & Fulgrim are just a bit meh for my tastes and the rest, I just have no interest in Kor Phaeron,, might make a good Wolf Guard conversion IF there isn't too much work to be done.

Not because I am lazy, I am just not that great at chopping stuff up or particularly imaginative when it comes to that side of things. Best left to the likes of Maverik.

Edited by dantay_xv

Your Horus is looking really great Dante ! I think adding the brightness to the gems/eyes will make him pop out even more and make him look majestic as hell ! (Hehehe...)

Don't hesitate to add a bit of orange to the eyes as Kurama has done, I think you'll be able to add more depth to them that way then if they were pure red.

Not to be that guy but have you considered giving the leather straps a bit of a light brown edge highlight? I think it just stands out too much against the sea green and draws your eyes away from his face which really should be your focal point as its so nice

Captain & Lord. Thank you for the kind words.

The base was super simple. The only pain was that it is so textured for ensuring a decent base coat, but after that it was a joy.

Across the whole base

Dryad bark base,

Agrax wash.

Heavy drybrush dryad bark.

Dry brush 1;1 dryad and baneblade brown,

Drybrush Baneblade brown

Drybrush 1;1 Baneblade brown and Ushabti Bone

Dry brush Ushabti bone

Very light drybrush 1;1 Bone & white.

For the stone, I then washed with Seraphim Sepia, for the rubble Agrax Earthshade

Using the same colours but different washes at the end, tie the elements together nicely.

The gems are still to be done and they will have an inner glow to them to make them pop. Not sure if I wll do them next, or go to finish the Talon & World Breaker.

Kurama: You are not being that guy. I appreciate everyones comments & critiques. I would not ask for them otherwise :)

The straps did start off pretty dark and it is khorne red. But as it is leather I used snakebite leather as the highlight colour. That may have gotten lost when I did the bloodletter glaze. I still need to do the shoulder straps, so when I highlight them up, I'll use the same process and after the glaze, come back with the khorne Red/lLeather mix to put the leathery colour back in.  

Will post pictures up later.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160408_122854.jpg

Strapping done.

Used the mix of leather/ red on the straps on the belt.

Didnt realise how bad the fit was, may need to get some liquid filler on that when I get home. Thankfully these are all stock paints and I use a very simple method for mixes that even a muppet like me can follow :D

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160408_122837.jpg

Need to do some gold dabs on the leather, then Talon, World breaker and wolf pelt to do.

I was thinking to do the wolf in a pale grey, but then would it be too distracting?

Thanks for looking :)

I don't think light grey would be too distracting. Man,those highlights on the gold and the darker straps are lovely! He is coming along quickly for such a fantastic paint job.

Thanks guys. I did the wolf quite light, may go back and brighten it a bit more, but I am now done!!!

Horus is finished.

I ended up taking 2 nights off as I was getting blurry vision. I also ended up rushing the end and not going for my normal blending techniques.

Do you guys find tat you also do this towards the end of a project??

Any hoo pics!!

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160411_091955.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160411_092013.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160411_092022.jpg

Any thoughts on where I could improve, what looks off? I am always looking to improve so any critique is invaluable

Thanks for looking :).

Cheers Kurama... Thats probably why I paint so slow :D

Phiedias, the wolf was a 5 minute paint job, but Horus' face took 4 attempts. A bit like doing Angrons face. WHich is now a bit chubby hamster with all the paint on it.

I hate painting faces, so Lord knows why most of my Wolves left their Space helmets at home :D

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151226_123326.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151226_123310.jpg

CHeers Rayray, the blood was the easiest most fun & random part of painting Angron.

All I did was load a brush with Blood forth Blood God, hold it a short distance from Angron. Then blow. The paint will come off the brush in a nice spatter pattern.

Gentle blowing makes it all stringy, and a vigourous blow will yield high  velocity blood spatter. Kinda fun &  random, but I recommend you practice on paper first.

Angrons a good warm up model for painting gold heavy miniatures like Custodians :biggrin.:

I'd actually like to do another Angron, and do the armour in White & blue of the World Eaters

Edited by dantay_xv

Thats a huge jump in quality over the span of a year

Sounds like a challenge :smile.:

Angron or Khârn??

Oh and when? 

Edited by dantay_xv

Hmmm Angron and let's say September, I'll need to find time to order him and I reckon I'll be good by then with etl over and that's usually when I have my annual fun k the hobby I'm bored I quit tantrum so it's something to look forward too

No worries Rayray. like I say practice on paper first.

I loaded the brush because my lungs ain't great, so an airbrush might need very little, plus you can be more precise.

The downside is you lack the tonal difference in having darker gory bits and pieces or dried blood, so it is worth painting those bits first and be aware that it is a bit random so there is a chance for paint to go places you didn't want it to.

Kurama, my wife gives me a monthly allowance so I save that, plus m super squirrel account (my oilrig munchies money).