Electro Priests

Just as I think GW have it together, they release something like these. The mind boggles. They have literally no decent use and are SO expensive.

A squad of powermaul wielding guys with instant death seems like it was made to kill medium level MC, possibly, or things like Not, Nid warriors, Paladins etc, but against these they'll probably suck.

I know! It's so tragic :(. They may do alright against MCs with low initiative though. I just read the description of the gauntlet ones and it says they give their blessing to man and machine alike, seems almost like they were supposed to have haywire or something but it got left out at the last minute, because obviously str 4 shots aren't taking most vehicles down

I'm stunned that with all the electrical based attacks (it's in the name for Omnissiah's sake!) that this unit has literally NO Haywire anywhere. Even worse, they don't have Scouts, Crusader, or literally ANY method to get their footslogging bums up the field. The lack of a transport option in this codex is the nail in this unit's coffin. Honestly, if GW expect to sell piles of preorders on these based on this spoiler, I think they're going to be extremely disappointed. tongue.png

I think if they had just scout, T4, and or a 4++ than they'd be really good.

Otherwise they aren't worth it. The snooty ones are the best and aren't far off from being okay because their shooting is pretty damm good I think. Just they ack something

I might get a set of the shooty armband ones. Just cause they'd look cool to paint. But don't think I'll ever field them.

Unless Canticles needs bodies (like Horrors and Warp Charges?), then they may be a cheaper alternative than Kataphron.

I might get a set of the shooty armband ones. Just cause they'd look cool to paint. But don't think I'll ever field them.

Unless Canticles needs bodies (like Horrors and Warp Charges?), then they may be a cheaper alternative than Kataphron.

I think that might be the rub. Even 90 points for a single squad is approching half the cost of kataphrons. It's already been suggested by rumors that canticles need numbers to be at full strength, so electropriests might act as the army's choir.

Now I can't stop thinking of electropriests singing their hymns while the electricity arcs off their bodies and empowering nearby machines.

I'm stunned that with all the electrical based attacks (it's in the name for Omnissiah's sake!) that this unit has literally NO Haywire anywhere. Even worse, they don't have Scouts, Crusader, or literally ANY method to get their footslogging bums up the field. The lack of a transport option in this codex is the nail in this unit's coffin. Honestly, if GW expect to sell piles of preorders on these based on this spoiler, I think they're going to be extremely disappointed. tongue.png

Personally I think units like these really disprove the myth that GW writes rules to sell new kits. Here we have a unit that people have been really looking forward to since it was spoiled more than a month ago and would have most likely sold out if their rules were even decent...and yet we get this.

Oh well they will probably be amazing when the codex gets updated in a couple years msn-wink.gif

Ok so now that we have all the negative energy (har har) out of way...which unit is better? The Staffs or the Gauntlets?

The staffs at least have the chance of getting the 3++, and once that happens they will be decently durable for the remainder. Of course the Gauntlet ones can shoot and they can generate more attacks, but it's very short range and they will only be str 4.

I suppose the key to them actually working is that they won't look like a huge threat (because they aren't) and so won't get shot at quite as much since Ad. Mech. in general has so many other high threat units. That's not REALLY a positive but I'll take it.

I suppose I'm going to have to lean towards the Fulgarites. Not necessarily because I think they are better (still undecided on that) but because they are the ones that fill a different role from the rest of the ad mech stuff. They are expensive and you'd have to babysit them, but once they get that 3++ they would be a decent tar-pit unit and they could go up against larger MCs and such.

Damnit I think I'm convincing myself to get a unit of 10...again not because I think they are good, but just because I want to make them work for the hell of it ;)

Guessing they will be the tax unit so I will have to get a box. I want to run the formation from the new white dwarf that is all 3 codex in one and I'm sure they are in the formation lol

corpuscariis are better. The staff bros on their own power wont be seeing assault assault till turn 3 unless the enemy is coming for them... and if the enemy is coming for them the staff bros are screwed lol. Trans port just make it cost more, and even transporting them im errr i dont know better stuff to put in the transport if your allying out for something.

Gauntlet bros can run turn one and shoot turn 2 and put out some decent damage. The math hammer is really annoying but i'll lay it down if you wanna see. effectively they are like better than BS 7 or something.

So hitting and wounding we'll take 10 models, they are BS 4, firing twice, S4, and twin linked target MEQ: So that's 20 shots hitting on 3+  Normal Wounds(20shots, 2/3 chance to hit, 50% chance to wound, 33% to fail saves+1/3 rerolls)= 20*2/3/2*2/6+20*1/3*2/3/2*2/6=4.44 wounds But even more their shockl wounds make them hit twice more on 6's that's Shock wounds(20shots 1/6 chacne of 6, x2 for extra wounds,50% chance to wound, 50% chance to fail save +1/3 rerolls)=20*1/6*2/2*2/6+20/3*1/6*2/2*2/6=2.22 meq wounds. For a grand total of: 6.667 wounds. Let me know if this is off. They are new to my growing spread sheet on wound calculations. 

Gautlet dudes do 4.44 MEQ wounds.

Vanguards do 3.33 MEQ wounds.

Now vanguards usualy don't have to wait a turn to get into range. Also vanguards are Half the price, and have a better armour save.

Gautlet dudes can do... slightly more in the assault. Have invuln save so they always get to roll a 5+. They have better feel no pain which can matter, not everything is str 6 unless it's eldar. The damage is decent. It's really just the price tag that kinda kills these guys. Now canticles giving a good cover save could make these guys quite decent. If canticles gives cover save and it's 3 teirs. It would give these guys a 4+ cover which would be 4+ cover and feel no pain which would give them enough beef to make it to fire range. But, loosing the turn of shooting. It kinda sucks.

But as was said before if it is based on model count taking 2 MSUs of them might be a good way to make it to some unit thresh hold or give your unit thresh hold ablative wounds.

I won´t argue or totally disagree with you, but some humble questions... maybe I´m missing something here:

-Why wouldn´t Corpuscarii get 4 attacks on the charge? "gauntletS" and RAI-Assault 2 seems pretty clear to me: 2 Melee weapons + charge + 2 base. Does not make them impressing, but surely, if you calculate with half the attacks it has to be depressing...

-If the Iniatitive is a problem, why don´t change the enemy´s? At least Infiltrators can reduce it. Yeah, we would have a hard time coordinating, but then again: That has been the challenge with Skitarii all along.

-Maybe they are not meant to be a mediocre to high level generalist melee-unit... Skitarii struggle with one thing: Hordes. Guard Blobs, Gaunts, Orks. What about them as target? Assuming that I´m right with the attacks and if need be pushed by one of the (de)buffs of our army (infiltrators, canticles).

For fulgurites... who do you want to kill with such things? Slow multi-wounds or easy prey with high toughness (Grots behind Orc-Artillery come to mind, getting 3++ and running rampage behind the lines... yes, they have to get there, but that´s a different story).

just thinking though.

The problem isn't the output. The problems are mobility and durability. They could all have S10 melee attacks for all I care. Their T3 5++ is what lets them down the most as well as need for reliable transportation. At that point you are committing too many points for it to be worth it. Hell, a single Wyvern will slaughter a unit of 20 of these blokes before they reach it :D

I won´t argue or totally disagree with you, but some humble questions... maybe I´m missing something here:

-Why wouldn´t Corpuscarii get 4 attacks on the charge? "gauntletS" and RAI-Assault 2 seems pretty clear to me: 2 Melee weapons + charge + 2 base. Does not make them impressing, but surely, if you calculate with half the attacks it has to be depressing...

-If the Iniatitive is a problem, why don´t change the enemy´s? At least Infiltrators can reduce it. Yeah, we would have a hard time coordinating, but then again: That has been the challenge with Skitarii all along.

-Maybe they are not meant to be a mediocre to high level generalist melee-unit... Skitarii struggle with one thing: Hordes. Guard Blobs, Gaunts, Orks. What about them as target? Assuming that I´m right with the attacks and if need be pushed by one of the (de)buffs of our army (infiltrators, canticles).

For fulgurites... who do you want to kill with such things? Slow multi-wounds or easy prey with high toughness (Grots behind Orc-Artillery come to mind, getting 3++ and running rampage behind the lines... yes, they have to get there, but that´s a different story).

just thinking though.

I do think they get 4 attack on the charge, from what i read in the french it said paired.

The priest do a decent job against horde and if canticles could give them a nice enough save to make it to turn 2 in good shape or atleast forcing the enemy to wast lots of shots icould see them maybe being worth their time, but i really dont know.... If canticles gives you at least 1 turn of free 4+ cover saves which is what i'm assuming it does. than the electro priest could have a job to do, and might do it decently. Otherwise, the priest don't have what it takes.

with out knowing for sure what the canticles are it'd be hard to justify buying these guys. 

@Immersturm: Something it would do with anything below toughness 6... msn-wink.gif

I agree with your point. Like with sicarians, vanguard, ironstriders, kataphrons... well... anything except Techpriest, kastellans and Knight, actually. Easy to kill.
But how many easy-to-kill-units can the enemy kill with a decent board? Ok, but when would anyone take all these different flimsy options to the battlefield? Wait... msn-wink.gif

Again, it's all down to Canticles, but if the Cover Save one is better depending on how good/bad the base Armour Save is, I could understand the lack of an AV. Bit of wish-listing, there, I know :).

Loving the models for the fisty ones, though.

Again, it's all down to Canticles, but if the Cover Save one is better depending on how good/bad the base Armour Save is, I could understand the lack of an AV. Bit of wish-listing, there, I know smile.png.

Loving the models for the fisty ones, though.

Seee i love the models too x.x my soul wants to use them so bad. I think i'd hold off buying them until cancticles come out. With a good cover save they could maybe be worth taking. They'd be only slightly better than taking plasmas on kataphrons against a horde army.

I do think they get 4 attack on the charge, from what i read in the french it said paired.

Paired was on the shooting profile, and means Twin-Linked, if I got that part right.

I am personally slightly leaning towards the Fulgurites, but mostly because I am a sucker for fancy special rules. But in the end I will decide which models look the best. The Corspucarii are growing on me :)

Again, it will really depend on what the Canticles do for the priests to seem them being useful. 

@Immersturm: Something it would do with anything below toughness 6... msn-wink.gif

I agree with your point. Like with sicarians, vanguard, ironstriders, kataphrons... well... anything except Techpriest, kastellans and Knight, actually. Easy to kill.

But how many easy-to-kill-units can the enemy kill with a decent board? Ok, but when would anyone take all these different flimsy options to the battlefield? Wait... msn-wink.gif

Well, Vanguard still have a 4+ and cost half of what the Priests cost before upgrades, have a Scout move with can be used defensively and they are a ranged unit with no need to leave cover most of the time. All the other units also are primarily ranged.

Sicarians fall under the same category. But even they can do some stuff. Infiltrators can shoot fairly well and have Infiltrate. Hell, even Ruststalkers will be in melee by T2 with high reliability due to Dunestrider rule. Same goes for Dragoons.

Hm, it isn't just their stats. Their fundamental design is a bit off. You see, I asked my self if I would take them if

1) they had a 3+ armour save

2) they could move 12"

3) they were T4 S4 I4

1) and 3) are a definite no. 2) would still be a no, but not as definite. Still, they would be too fragile and weak in melee.

But applying all those effects would besically make them Assault Marines with fancy guns.

what are the opinions of using the Khataphron Breachers to move in front of them as a living shield?

Similary, how do we best tag team those guys? 

I was hoping these would be the living shield for the breachers, actually.. but they're way too expensive for that, and made out of tissue paper.

Maybe the robots can be fielded as bruisers, but by then it seems easier to just go for dakka and ignore the priests.

Wasn't it leaked on one of those datacards that the canticles are:

Stubborn, Re-roll Moral + Stubborn, fearless.

I just couldnt make out if you have to roll a D3, or if it's turn 1-2, turn 3-4, turn 5-6?

Here linky:

http://www.gamestrust.de/uploads/inline/pic-40794-popup.jpg

In either case, won't do the priests any good imo.

Wasn't it leaked on one of those datacards that the canticles are:

Stubborn, Re-roll Moral + Stubborn, fearless.

I just couldnt make out if you have to roll a D3, or if it's turn 1-2, turn 3-4, turn 5-6?

I thought the canticles were more along the lines of 1-3 units with the rule, 4-7 units with the rule, 8+ units with the rule, from what someone could read from one of the cards.

Archived