Electro Priests

I thought the canticles were more along the lines of 1-3 units with the rule, 4-7 units with the rule, 8+ units with the rule, from what someone could read from one of the cards.

I heard that as well. But that is mostly third hand, so I will see what they do. (Also doesn't make much sense with the large units.)

Doesn't make this Canticle more usable for the Elektro Priests though. 

I think with the leaked data cards confirm the rumored cancticles (IMO). If you can get a 4+ cover save from canticles or better. The electro priest are worth it if nothing else but to boost your cancticles tier to 11 to keep full bonuses for a few turns. With a 4+ cover save the priest will be fine special in an MSU situation. They are fearless and thus will be really annoying g to wipe off the map.

If one of your units doesn't completely wipe the priest off the map. You'll have to make another unit kill 1-2 priest and that's just plain wasteful.

Additional, if the canticle does give cover save. Having the priest screen your destroys or even breachers the breach could possible get 2+ cover save for their first turn.

I think with the leaked data cards confirm the rumored cancticles (IMO). If you can get a 4+ cover save from canticles or better. The electro priest are worth it if nothing else but to boost your cancticles tier to 11 to keep full bonuses for a few turns. With a 4+ cover save the priest will be fine special in an MSU situation. They are fearless and thus will be really annoying g to wipe off the map.

If one of your units doesn't completely wipe the priest off the map. You'll have to make another unit kill 1-2 priest and that's just plain wasteful.

Additional, if the canticle does give cover save. Having the priest screen your destroys or even breachers the breach could possible get 2+ cover save for their first turn.

Well it looks like one of the canticles generates extra attacks in CC, so probably gives out the taser rule. If that stacks with the priests' extra attacks that would be nice.

As far as a cover save: nothing says it needs to be the priests that give your Kataphrons a better cover save, Vanguard/Rangers would do it just as well for a lot less, and would be able to contribute with shooting too.

Does anyone know how many Electro Pries boxes you'll need to satisfy the Cult Mechanicus Battle Congregation Detachment? Based on what I'm reading, I'm hoping it's just 1 unit of 5.  Kinda sad that this model doesn't have much apparent utility other than being needed to satisfy the detachment requirement...

Well it looks like one of the canticles generates extra attacks in CC, so probably gives out the taser rule. If that stacks with the priests' extra attacks that would be nice.

As far as a cover save: nothing says it needs to be the priests that give your Kataphrons a better cover save, Vanguard/Rangers would do it just as well for a lot less, and would be able to contribute with shooting too.

That is true, but i'm thinking of units that also give you more canticles with out pidgeon holing me into a formation i'm not a fan of. Though that is one of the benefits of the formation is that you get some cheaper chancticles units than normal, but then again your taking sicarians.

Does anyone know how many Electro Pries boxes you'll need to satisfy the Cult Mechanicus Battle Congregation Detachment? Based on what I'm reading, I'm hoping it's just 1 unit of 5.  Kinda sad that this model doesn't have much apparent utility other than being needed to satisfy the detachment requirement...

We have no idea yet. I am still pretty sure we will only need 1 HQ and 2 Troops for it since it is called a detachment instead of a formation, but we'll have to wait a few days to find out.

The only real reason to take them i can think of over taking more of the other units is simply to get the increased number of squads in the army for the canticles and to simply stick them in and around your gunline against guys you know like to bring in drop pod melee units. Should they survive your firing line (can happen) then you can charge them with these guys to tie them down for a turn or finish off the units saving fire for other groups coming at you. Or give you the ability to move units away to try and give yourself space to shoot them again if the priests are not going to win the fight.

I dunno, might just be clasping at straws to find some kind of purpose?

Trust me, Mitchverr, I've been doing the same thing.  I want to find a way to like every unit for the armies I play, but sometimes you have to call something what it is.  Even with the Canticles semi-revealed, I find little reason to take these guys beyond background, model enjoyment, or simply being the hipster player that takes all the bad units.

Not sure if this changes anyone's opinions of the Electro-Priests but here is some more on the Voltagheist Field:

https://m.flickr.com/photos/131944296@N02/17344882144/

*Edit: I'm having trouble opening that link, or Flickr at all, in my phone browser now (might just be slow internet here) but it works fine in my Flickr App so hopefully you guys will be able to see it?

Well, that isn't much of a benefit if you are I3 to begin with.

lol i agree it would make more since if all thier attacks were haywire or something. then it would be like "they need to go get blessed by dealing with a tainted machine and setting it back on it's path, and now the omnissah has blessed thm with a 3++" lol atleast for the staff boys. I still kinda like the gautlet boys despite how bad they seem v.v, but the staff guys i think are terrible.

ON a side note. after seeing the priest i think i'm gonna make all teh skin in my army a dark black with grey/white/silver highlights. I think the electro-priest would look killer like that. Just black with a few dry brushes of grey/white/silver. then with my white gold paint scheme i could make thier blind folds gold. Man they'd look wicked.

Didn't realize the Corpuscarii's fists were Twin-Linked for shooting.  That gives them a bit more power overall, and makes them a stronger choice if you're going to stick them in a transport (which you should).

Didn't realize the Corpuscarii's fists were Twin-Linked for shooting.  That gives them a bit more power overall, and makes them a stronger choice if you're going to stick them in a transport (which you should).

Yeah that makes them downright competitive ;).

On that note: I hate myself, but I pre-ordered a box of them. This is the first army I have a chance of actually completing so I just had to do it...guess I'll try to make them work somewhat ;)

armoured fist platoon from the imperial guard maybe? guardsmen could be tech-thralls to fit into the theme. but still don't like electro-priests :(, I want to like them but there are much more cost effective units in both codexes, shame the models look great.

Not that we would ever use it, but the formation for them gives the Corpuscarii yet another shot if they're within 6" of a unit of Fulgurites.  Since you have to take 2 units of each to qualify for the formation, this makes sense.  The other ability allows the Fulgurites to re-roll To Wound rolls against units that lost a Wound to the Corpuscarii's shooting, which further cements my opinion that Fulgurites are crap.

Even knowing the Canticles, I can see that there isn't much there to make me want to take them.  The one ability I like is the S4 hit(s) on enemy models in CC, which seems tailor made to let the Electro-Priests flurry enemy units down in CC, but the complete lack of mobility for them anywhere in the list means it's unlikely they'll ever get there.

For the curious, the tax to take the formation is 360 points, before you even add more models to the units.  Yikes!

Unfortunately the problem seems to be: why take priests when I could spend the points on either Skits, Katephrons or Kastelans?

I think even basic Vanguard, especially with doctrinas active, are just as good if not better.

They could be fun and maybe kinda effective in drop pods. get a bunch of units of 5. Drop all around. get that +1 shot for every guy so one unit of 5 shoots 15 times. you only need 1 staff unit per wave. maybe the shooters could cripple a unit really nice to get you that 3++.

It would atleast be VERY fun i think

Archived