Dark Angels rumors. update: Codex leaks, pg 28

Well, when they did the teaser for the Assault Squad and upgrade frames they showed entire armies too - that's how they usually roll.

In addition, the DA codex is unavailable since sunday morning.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Raychu.  When the codex disappeared  Saturday it was pretty much set in stone.

Now that is a piece of info I can get behind ;)

Combination of facts seems to take the evidence towards the conclusion that a Codex is imminent - teaser video with more than just the Int Chappy and removal of the 'current' Dex looks good to me. Believe it when I see it still...

edit: Master Sheol answered my thoughts!

160pp, not bad! 3 detachments and 6 formations.  That's pretty intense.  I'm going to guess a few of them are recycled from C:SM.  Detachments should be interesting!

My FLGS have me this info...

Codex 160 pages 46€ (3 detachments and 6 formations)

Datacards 10€

Interrogator Chaplain 23€

All in preorder 20/06 and in stores 27/06

So a price increase but not the same price as C:SM...

Edit...  Yes it is, nevermind...   apparently German is two euros more than French...

Well that's considerably more than the other price of codices in USD.  I have a hard time believing that they would increase it JUST for the DA book considering that C:SM just came out at the standard $58 USD

French C:SM, 46euro, $58USD.  German (in English) C:SM 48euro...

Looks like US will be $58.  Sigh...  that's what the rumors a while back said but I didnt want to believe it....

but that's what every other codex is now? Honestly, $58 for a book that lasts almost 2 years isn't that bad.  My previous book's bindings have worn considerably from use, which I don't mind.  I do get a fair bit of mileage out of my codices.

I will be buying digital as that seems like it will save me quite a few dollars (AUD) and I'm on the road. Digital is finally at a reasonable(ish) cost verses paper now.

German C:SM costed 46€. Austrian is usually more expensive. German is same as French as far as I am aware.

Nope, French codex are alway 2 or 3€ cheaper. It's because of french taxes on books which are lower than in other countries.

+++EDIT+++

The 3 detachments 6 formations thing is worrying me a little... It looks like GW didn't apply the gladius-like organisation for DA... :(

Well now, I'm not sure how Master Sheol's source phrased it, but they could be using detachment as a blanket term for it.

Either way we're going to have something that most likely you have units for and with the added bonus of special rules.

German C:SM costed 46€. Austrian is usually more expensive. German is same as French as far as I am aware.

Nope, French codex are alway 2 or 3€ cheaper. It's because of french taxes on books which are lower than in other countries.

+++EDIT+++

The 3 detachments 6 formations thing is worrying me a little... It looks like GW didn't apply the gladius-like organisation for DA... sad.png

Why would you worry about that? Half of the C:SM formations are just very poor, nearly unusable, and some are so expensive you won't see them in under 2K.

The Gladius is no Decurion, and none of the "Auxiliary" formations are even in the neighbourhood of a "Canoptek Harvest".

I'd rather have 3-4 decent formations then 10 bad ones.

I think the strength of DA will come from the units. Formations will be key but you only need one or two decent base formations, and as long as it's flexible you can have a lot of fun with it: IE: Grey Knights Nemesis Strike force.

The Gladius formation is okay, but it's nothing amazing. It allows a non-Ultramarine player to be an ultramarine player for a couple of turns. ObSec is always good, but most of the requirements already would have given you that ability.

I personally don't think the formations in the book are that great. There's a couple of decent ones, and the rest is a hodge podge of massive point sinks. Hopefully the force multipliers in Dark Angels will remain: ObSec Termies, ObSec bikers, great little bonuses, strong HQ's.

Why would you worry about that? Half of the C:SM formations are just very poor, nearly unusable, and some are so expensive you won't see them in under 2K.

Well answer is simple : because I don't play in a world of OP players that eat children for their breakfast? :P

The SM formations are nice because they look like the army I currently enjoy playing and add them flavour and nice little bonuses.

I currently play a force whose backbone is 3 tactical squads, 2 assault squads and one devastator squad. => pretty similar to SM one huh? I'm not against gaining bonuses for that

Moreover they allow me to play unusual formations that I could add to my current force like :

The scout ones : perfect reason to paint LS storm with DA scheme and use Telion as count as Naaman

The tank ones : nice "ironwing" that will allow me to play a thundefire along with my DA half battle company.

So it's not on a competitive aspect I see the thing, just on a fun aspect. I don't want that those special detachment prevent me to play the funny lists I'm already planning to test.

Not getting Gladius threatment is a blessing. That thing is abysmally unwieldy. Less Formations means less specific. This means they are smaller and probably easier to use. However, we have three primary ones, which will determine what kind we play. I just hope that multiwing will be possible.

Formations are used to sell more quantities of products that arent selling well or that have high profit margins (look at the Land raider squadron.  The mold for Godhammer has got to be paid for by now but it is included for pure profit reasons, not because it works well or isn't schizophrenicly armed)...   Not to make your army work better...

I expect a Nephail formation and a Darkshroud/LSV formation...   Along with buffs to make them more playable.

Many ups and downs about formations may be salvaged in 1 statement ... "DA may use any formation in Codex: Space Marines"... I mean, we don't have Vanguard/Sternguard, so those formations are useless to us. We DO have Devestators and Assaults, so Skyhammer is made to make them powerful. Giving us these formations makes Greenwing and Ironwing just as powerful as Death/Raven. It goes with GW's design philosophy that brought us Banner of Devastation (which Deathwing and Ravenwing Knights can't use) to get us away from being a One Trick Pony and make for a more regular Green Marine looking force.

I said it before and I'll say it again. If the essential bonuses are a available in a CAD then I won't ever take a Formation like the one you find in the SM book and to some extend Necrons and Eldar. Too restrictive, useless units and weird setups.

yes each formation is more restrictive but you geta bonus from each and a bonus from the detachment too...

so if you have a more flexible CAD you can use the units you want but you get just a single bonus army wide that usually is fitted toacertain kindof units that are the main ones of that army while the "decurion" gives you specific bonuses for each formation according to the kindof units the formation is made of and then a army wide bonus given by the decurion itself...

I like the idea of having both the decurion detachment and the possibility to use the good old CAD from the BRB...

However the Gladius detachment may seem restrictive but it grants you ObSec on all the units of the Demi-company not just the ones tha are troops... so your devastators can sit near and obj and control it and your assault marines can take an obj easily due tho the high speed...

What more do you need to see the unevitable?

An announcement from the manufacturer.  I generally consider that more reliable than speculation, especially considering all the "sure things" that have failed to materialize so far this year.  How easily people forget their predictions when they don't come to pass - or remember them differently.

Again, signs are positive - but I've already heard from people who told me it was "100% fact" that we'd have it in our hands by this week.  We'll know when preorders are announced.  Even if the Codex is "inevitable", this teaser doesn't mean it's up for preorder this weekend.  could be next weekend too.

Just a small update I read on faeit 212.

Which leads me to believe the new Codex will be released soon probably next weekend pre order along with the 3th book of the Caliban trilogy (which btw I'm already reading, got my hands on a really early released copy today )

Archived