== Martian Death Ray Club ==

So. What I see as the elephant in the room, is how effective Volkite weapons actually are.

I know they're cool, and choomy, but I see the range, AP5 and the cost and have misgivings. 

I mean, a bolt pistol is 1pt, adding serpentas to a veteran squad is an extra melta bomb per model, but is the +1S and deflagrate really worth 5x the cost of a bolt pistol?

Isn't plasma just...better?

The larger volkites, I can see potential with, being S6 or 30" range for the caliver, but the smaller ones are just so underwhelming.

Or am I just massively underestimating the power of Choom?

So. What I see as the elephant in the room, is how effective Volkite weapons actually are.

I know they're cool, and choomy, but I see the range, AP5 and the cost and have misgivings. 

I mean, a bolt pistol is 1pt, adding serpentas to a veteran squad is an extra melta bomb per model, but is the +1S and deflagrate really worth 5x the cost of a bolt pistol?

The larger volkites, I can see potential with, being S6 or 30" range for the caliver, but the smaller ones are just so underwhelming.

giphy.gif

Olis, when it Kurgan getting around to adding a dislike button to the B&C?

:lol

It's fine brother, it's fine. Xenith is perfectly justified to raise these points.

I believe 5 points is not too much for an extra point of strength and deflagrate. Against power armoured opponents the choice may very well be questionable as the AP leaves much to be desired and you'd be justified to favour plasma pistols against MEQs (even though plasma weapons suffer Gets Hot!). However, every extra casualty gained through Deflagrate makes a Volkite weapon worthy of consideration, in my opinion, and when used against an opponent with poor saves they rapidly become the weapon of choice.

Naturally, at the MDRC, we are likely to sing the praises of Volkites all the live-long day but the truth of the matter is that Volkites really honestly are up against some stiff competition the smaller the weaponry gets. The Serpenta isn't an obvious contender for those five points you have going spare. It seems more characterful and fluffy than efficient. It depends on how you play and how you view army building to judge whether spending those five points on a death ray pistol or a melta charge (or something else) is worth it. Personally, unless I'm playing competitively (which is pretty much never), I'd choose a Serpenta. 

Now, now, no need for the passive Aggressiveness.

On their own, you dont give veterans individual Serpentas. You never shoot pistols plasma or otherwise so whats the point?

Unless your a Moritat who can Chain Fire, you're taking them for style / points sink rather than actual functionality.

The others, such as the Charge and its Assault 2 at 15" comes into its own when taken en masse the best example being Night Lords Terror Assault since they have Preferred Enemy Infantry or Alpharius-Led Alpha Legion Lists due to Preferred Enemy Everything.

The Caliver is Heavy 2 but 30". Its an in-between for the Culverin whose Heavy 4 45".

Theyre meant to clean out infantry and force saves through rate of fire and deflagrate.

When Dealing with Choom, looking at them through a Crunch Perspective avails you nothing.

They're a numbers game IMO, they let you potentially get double the wounds than the amount of shots you make. Obviously unless it's orks or levys that ain't happening, but it's possible. You just Choom the hell out of stuff until it catches on fire and the fun begins.

*Wipes rotting vegetation from artificer armour*

Now come on guys, I didn't say I wasn't going to take them! I play Thousand Sons and have recently finished a Blood Angels Terminator army. I live in the world of the underpowered.

I just want to know what I'm getting into. I still want the serpenta veteran squad.

Just wondering where I should begin the Choom odyssey...

On their own, you dont give veterans individual Serpentas. You never shoot pistols plasma or otherwise so whats the point?

This I'm not sure on - Why? Just because bolters with sniper?

I counter this with the following: Serpentas with sniper. I want those MDR headshots.

Edited by Xenith

When it comes to my terror squads I prefer them hands down over a bolter. Slightly more expensive, yes, but they get 2 shots each at S5, I get to reroll to hit and 1's to wound which means almost every shot I take will hit and wound and we all know that forcing saves means eventually they'll fail, and when they do, we cause another wound and then we can still assault!

Terror squads really do volkite chargers well and not every army can do it like the NL can. Especially given the option of drop pods for them so we can drop in close and unload.

Exactly.

That and I'm not a fan of pistols killing stuff since that usually messes up a charge. Though Sniper Volkite has great potential, if you could give vets massed Chargers instead of 1 in 5 then it'd be worth it.

Serpentas? Ehhhh one shot at 10" Even with Sniper isn't worth much to me.

+++

Remember though that Terminators can take Chargers en masse and when given Heavy Flamers to boot, they burn through infantry due to sheer amount of forced saves.

Combi-Chargers are also a thing so if you're Raven Guard you could have Bs5 TL, Rending Charger shots for turn.

Edited by Slipstreams

Dooooo iiiitttt

I already have.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/316743-an-act-of-heresy/

First picture I saw didnt have Choom.

HAVE YOU MISLED ME IN YOUR TYPICAL ALPHA LEGION SHENANIGAN WAYS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

...No but really, welcome aboard! May you turn untold millions into volkite Ash and use it as incense at later points.

Dooooo iiiitttt

I already have.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/316743-an-act-of-heresy/

First picture I saw didnt have Choom.

HAVE YOU MISLED ME IN YOUR TYPICAL ALPHA LEGION SHENANIGAN WAYS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

...No but really, welcome aboard! May you turn untold millions into volkite Ash and use it as incense at later points.

Haha, he has a holster.

Choom is all sold out at the moment. I'll invest when I get the basics of the army in place...

There is reasonably priced Choom floating around on ebay currently. 30 Chargers are en route to my staging area.

First thing that came into my head: Damn, that's a whole lotta Choom.

Second thing that came into my head: Wait... *gasp* HURRICANE CHARGERS! Brothers! To the garage Manufactorum, we have a Choom Chariot to forge!

Is this the inception of the Land Raider Choomsader?

While an entirely fitting title I would like to take this chance to humbly suggest the formal designation of Land Raider Cremator.

In addition, I would like to lay out my vision for said war machine's finalised weapon load out:

2x Sponson-Mounted Hurricane Chargers.

1x Hull-Mounted Magna-Melta.

This load out follows a simply logic, the Magna-Melta cracks open hostile vehicles and any possible shelters for enemy infantry, the Hurricane Chargers deflagrate the :cuss out of everything else.

Your thoughts, brothers and sisters?

How about Hurricane Volkite? Or to give it a cooler name Volkite Repeater. That's right it's not quite original but 3 twin linked Volkite caliver strapped in Sponson form to either side of a tank is pretty Choomtastic I'd you ask me

I think there's sponson Volkites on the Achilles-Alpha Land Raider already, brother. ;)

How about Hurricane Volkite? Or to give it a cooler name Volkite Repeater. That's right it's not quite original but 3 twin linked Volkite caliver strapped in Sponson form to either side of a tank is pretty Choomtastic I'd you ask me

I think there's sponson Volkites on the Achilles-Alpha Land Raider already, brother. ;)

I like the idea of a hurrichoom battery (volkite calivers instead of bolters on a hurricane bolter array).

3 twin linked calivers on each side...mmmmh. Although chargers might be more balanced but harder to use.

Getting some deja vu :p