== Martian Death Ray Club ==

MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS IN THE LINKED VIDEO

That sound at 03:05?

Although it is a touch different to the ones on that moon, it's, in essence, the same sort of sound.

Edit: Around about 03.07 (and again at about 03.47) in this video is about as close as I'm going to get for a sound sample. ;)

Edited by Olis

Id always imagined the Glaive or and big volkite to sound like the seismic charges from star wars, Link

I won't deny it - that is a pretty cool sound. ;)

While I'm here - I'd just like to briefly touch on how I envision things actually deflagrating. To me, it's much akin to how paper or leaves combust without any actual flame (like the smouldering process). The deflagrating would occur at a given point and then, like the leaves or paper, the flameless combustion would creep across the surface (and inside) the victim. After the fact, the results would leave burned husks - possibly even embers - and ash. 

Does anyone else picture it similarly?

About time I posted some Choom in here, every army needs some Choom so my Iron Warriors receive some reinforcements, first half of the squad complete. 

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/loquile/IMAG0599_zpshnef20nk.jpg

Those glowing, shiny red eye lenses are beautiful! How did you paint them?

Thanks guys :smile.:

@ Urza The lenses are just Mephiston red with a touch of Flash Gitz yellow added over a few layers. Pretty simple, just remembering to add the touch of white at the end, which I appear to have forgotten on these.

@JagoSevatarion I did, those cables are horrible to cut between.  

Edited by Loquille

Just noticed this:

CONCEPT

Rite of War: Sol Crusader

Effects

- Any unit armed by default with bolt weapons in the usual LACAL entries may replace them, like for like, with volkite contemporaries listed as such for free:

• Bolt Pistol = Volkite Serpenta
  • Bolt Gun = Volkite Charger
  • Heavy Bolter = Volkite Culverin

Unit options remain otherwise unchanged.

- The army may use 0-2 relics, instead of the usual 0-1. Both relics may be given to a single non-unique Independant Character if the player so chooses.

Limitations

- You may not take units wearing terminator armour. The option in any unit entry to take terminator armour should be ignored.

- You may not take a Fortification allied detachment.

- You may not take any Primarch Lord of War unit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I must admit, I did struggle a little bit to add in a second advantage, so if anyone has any better/more characterful alternatives, I'm all ears. So, anyway, what does the club think?

I like it, and what I'm about to say is as obvious as the target on an eldar's back in a Slaaneshi party, but there are the unique units to deal with - with some exceptions. For example, it's obvious that the Gal Vorbak weren't there before Lorgar, but the ashfire discodancers were already burning libraries in their hobby time before their primarch was found I believe.

I like it, and what I'm about to say is as obvious as the target on an eldar's back in a Slaaneshi party, but there are the unique units to deal with - with some exceptions. For example, it's obvious that the Gal Vorbak weren't there before Lorgar, but the ashfire discodancers were already burning libraries in their hobby time before their primarch was found I believe.

Indeed, brother. However, if I am to avoid a large shopping list of things the player can't take, I must trust in them to be intelligent about it. Unless there's a quick and concise way to forbid multiple units... 

And then I must be wary on making it seem balanced. The more I take out the more, it seems, is needed to counteract that in some way or another. Sometimes being entirely inclusive isn't the best course of action. :confused:

Id always imagined the Glaive or and big volkite to sound like the seismic charges from star wars,

I won't deny it - that is a pretty cool sound. ;)

While I'm here - I'd just like to briefly touch on how I envision things actually deflagrating. To me, it's much akin to how paper or leaves combust without any actual flame (like the smouldering process). The deflagrating would occur at a given point and then, like the leaves or paper, the flameless combustion would creep across the surface (and inside) the victim. After the fact, the results would leave burned husks - possibly even embers - and ash. 

Does anyone else picture it similarly?

I allways thought it looks like in the horrible movie War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. CHOOOM and pffffft. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The whole BaC box is going fists (I need a counter army for my Iron IV)

The question you should be asking is, are the other 20 marines in that box having bolters, or choom?

Is that really a question?

*looks around the topic*

Combi-Choom actually exists~~~!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

Horus Heresy-era combi-weapons have their own range of secondary weapon options which differ from their 41st Millennium counterparts, as shown in the 7th edition rulebook. These are as follows:

• - Flamer
  • - Meltagun
  • - Plasma gun
  • - Grenade launcher (frag or krak – choose which type when fired)
  • - Volkite charger
Edited by Slipstreams

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

Horus Heresy-era combi-weapons have their own range of secondary weapon options which differ from their 41st Millennium counterparts, as shown in the 7th edition rulebook. These are as follows:

• - Flamer
  • - Meltagun
  • - Plasma gun
  • - Volkite charger

I knew that combi-choom existed, but somehow I missed the option of a combi-weapon on the Sgt.

@Wolf_Pack: pew pew is for flashlights and their bigger brothers.

Edited by Quixus

Ok so we all know FW is out of and reworking their volkite chargers, but physically, are the dimensions between the chargers and calivers very different? From the photos it looks like the caliver has a slightly longer barrel.

• - Flamer
  • - Meltagun
  • - Plasma gun
  • - Volkite charger
I knew that combi-choom existed, but somehow I missed the option of a combi-weapon on the Sgt.

I just wish FW would hurry up and make some. ;) 

@Wolf_Pack: pew pew is for flashlights and their bigger brothers.

Indeed. Club Rule #5:

• Volkite’s go ‘choom’. They DO NOT go ‘pew-pew-pew’.

Although, that said, we can't make someone think they make a certain sound if they've already decided.

Ok so we all know FW is out of and reworking their volkite chargers, but physically, are the dimensions between the chargers and calivers very different? From the photos it looks like the caliver has a slightly longer barrel.

They are, in terms of looks, stretched Chargers, basically. They have more focusing rings (or heat rings) along the barrel.

As long as the people you play don't mind, then I don't see a problem for you to sub in Calivers for Chargers. Those in the know will definitely know the difference but I suppose that depends on how developed the 30k scene is where you are.

As long as the people you play don't mind, then I don't see a problem for you to sub in Calivers for Chargers. Those in the know will definitely know the difference but I suppose that depends on how developed the 30k scene is where you are.

Now we can't have that! Looks like I'll be waiting like everyone else. Thanks again for the help!