"I was a mere Grunt when they came. Their command Rhino halted at the Colonels' position. The Sisters had already rounded up the cadre and executed them for cowardice. My commanding officer protested his innocence till the last. Most of us had been against the decision to retreat. There were far worse things behind us than there was beyond. The Commissar had been shot by the Sergeant, his body falling to the floor before he even knew what was happening. There was no honour in what was to come, but it needed to be done.

The Sisters were our allies, but they were fighting to the north of us, holding back horrors that I have no intention of ever facing. When I saw the Canoness' face, I think, in hindsight, that would have been preferable...

"Colonel Shrap! You and your cadre have been found guilty of cowardice in the face of the enemy. Whilst my task of pushing back the Chaos threat is not complete, I nevertheless find myself here. Your rank and file have more backbone than you..." Her eyes flickered in my direction. I had sent the brief comms burst stating the situation. The fact that she came back here, personally to restore order to our ranks over delegating to one of her equally intimidating subordinates meant something. Our regiment had no honour marks, no reputation aside from being a meat shield.

Ours was a penal Legion, but even our conviction to Him on Earth must have stirred something within her to care.

"The charge is dereliction of duty. The sentence..." She fired, her beautiful Inferno pistol incinerated his head, even while he screamed his lies. "Death!"

Her attention turned to us, the dregs of the Guard, her flame red hair matched her mood. She had a raw energy, her rage seemingly under control. Seemingly.

"Brothers and Sisters! You have been given a chance. A chance to redeem yourselves in His eyes! You will return to the front. You will fight! And you will win!"

Despite ourselves, we roared until our throats were hoarse. Inspirational, devout and His fury manifest. I was both truly in awe and terror of that woman.

I never saw her again in that campaign. I pray to Him on Earth that I never do.
- attributed to an unknown Penal Legion guardsman

Welcome to my (second iteration, due to the Site rollback) Sisters WIP!

I have already painted most of my Canoness. I'm not entirely happy with her, but for now I'm just going to finish her off and come back to her later :happy.:

I'm ultimately aiming for at least 1000 points to start off with. As you might imagine, that will take a while :laugh.:

I'll be introducing units properly as I start painting them, so I'll start with the Canoness:

"Her fury is both her strength, and her weakness. I dread the day when even she falls in battle..." - Senior Hospitallier Lyse

med_gallery_51296_8390_201220.png

Canoness Saffron Sera was originally with a small group of Sisters from the Order of the Valorous Heart. As an initiate, she was willful, belligerent and completely with out self control. Her Canoness, Eliza Cho, nevertheless trained her to be a dedicated Sister. Her wayward behaviour began after seeing her family slaughtered by a Chaos Cult on her home planet. She withdrew into her self, not willing to trust anyone in authority, the murderer was her planets' possessed Chancellor. Fearless in battle, she was chosen with four other Sisters to be Cho's personal guard, carrying with them the Order's standard, her squad dubbed "Lucia" after the Saint. At the height of the campaign, a prosecution of the Warband known as the Bahltimyr Reavers, she saw her Sister, Annabelle Chrysanthemum almost become the vessel of a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh. Chrysanthemum's ambition and hatred of her "common" Sisters allowed the vile creature to take partial control. Sera was the one who executed her before the Daemon could take over completely.

The campaign left the group weakened, the Canoness and most of the Senior Sisters dead or dying. Sera was named her successor. Because of the sacrifices of her Sisters and the time they had been isolated, she petitioned the Parent Order to be given leave to create a new Order, "The Dauntless Spirit" a reference to both Saint Lucia and that of those whom had fallen.

She has been Canoness for over forty years hence.

The Orders' Command Rhino - "Lucia's Providence":

med_gallery_51296_8390_616488.png

med_gallery_51296_8390_384810.png

med_gallery_51296_8390_630415.png

med_gallery_51296_8390_112923.png

med_gallery_51296_8390_746135.png

A relic from when the Sisters were originally from the Valorour Heart. Whilst it has been repainted in the newer Order's colours, the top hatch still has the original painting in honour of the parent Order and to Lucia herself. She is revered by all as both a benediction and as a weapon from Him on Earth.

I don't want to spoil what I want to do with the Rhino, but it involves something that I've wanted to try for a long time. I hope I get it right.

Whilst I love the FW sculpts, I'm rather frustrated that the doors and front panel were smaller than the area they fit in. I can only assume that they are either supposed to be like that (unlikely), or the cast items shrunk in the process a little. Still, the little details on the side doors are great :wub.:

I will say that I forgot what an absolute pain in the :censored: Rhinos are to build! :dry.: And to think I want Immolators and Exorcists too... :blink.:

Hopefully, if the weather is right for it, Lucia's Providence and a few more Sisters will get at least an undercoat tomorrow.

Here's hoping :happy.:

Nice start! I take it there's a chance I might be seeing these pop up at GW Cov at some point?

Thanks! :happy.:

I dare say so. I still intend on getting the BA DIY done (at least the ETL vow anyway), but as ever, the part of me that can't focus on one project for a great amount of time has raised its head again :laugh.:

I've got enough Sisters for roughly 700pts, so I can get a small game in now and then (which I need, as I'm still trying to get a handle on playing again after so long).

Whilst the site has been down, I have been busy:

med_gallery_51296_8390_139301.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8390_171184.jpg

And here is something that I'm really proud of. Whilst it's not as accurate as I'd like, it marks a significant step forward for me:

med_gallery_51296_8390_189288.jpg

I outlined the image in a fineliner and then painted the rest in :smile.: This picture was taken before I darkened the chassis. The inscription says "Lucia Ductor" or "Lucia Leader". I suppose I could have used another word to mean saint, but it's done now :laugh.:

I currently have most of my Sister models undercoated and base coated as well as the Storm bolter and dish for the Rhino (sprayed grey and then white to make a pre shade, or prehighlight, which is another step forward :smile.: The process is still under experimentation, but considering I'm using third party spray cans from a car parts retailer, I'm quite pleased) Painting will resume tomorrow :smile.:

Thanks for looking! :happy.:

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason, I thought I'd updated this topic when I updated the one in the Sisters subforum. Anyway, here's what I have to show since the last post.

med_gallery_51296_8390_499462.jpg

The image show my other Canoness model, which will also be Saffron Sera, just with a different CC weapon (one will have a power sword, the other a chainsword. She also has different coloured armour. Not sure which have what weapon yet though)

med_gallery_51296_8390_87263.jpg

I've been dabbling with hair colours. The darker blonde ones, I'm happy with. The "bubblegum/peroxide" ones, not so much. I might go back and repaint those with more "realistic" colours.

med_gallery_51296_8390_181311.jpg

A closer look at those hair colours. They don't look that bad, but I'd prefer a realistic colour over an "anime" one :laugh.:

I've ordered a Seraphim squad off ebay (which will hopefully turn up tomorrow). It's a genuine oop set, with box (at least, the picture on ebay showed the box), and never been painted for less than getting the current equivalent from the GW site. It's a pity that the Seraphim Superior is pricey to buy on ebay by herself, as I would have liked to get another one and that GW don't stock it any more :sad.: I've also got an Immolator to collect from my local GW on Thursday. I nearly had a heart attack when it was shown on their site as being no longer in production! :blink.:

With my eventual arrivals, that takes me up to around 1.2K. I have a list that includes an Exorcist (using my Rainbow Warriors' Razorback for counts as until I can get a genuine one) and a Penitent Engine (using my Rainbow Warrior Iron Clad Dreadnought "G'urg" as a counts as until I get a genuine one). I have this weekend off, so I intend to get the back log whittled down somewhat. After this, I want to get my BSS' and Retributor squad more Sisters, some more heavy weapon Sisters and more Rhinos for same. My aim is to get to at least 1.5K, ideally 2K.

My list as it stands with my Seraphim squad and Immolator added:

Hidden Content

Sisters list NEW (1201pts)

Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment)

No Force Org Slot

Sororitas Command Squad

Hospitaller, Melta Bombs

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Flamer

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Flamer

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Storm Bolter

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Storm Bolter

Sororitas Rhino

Dozer Blade, Extra Amour, Laud Hailer, Storm Bolter

HQ

Canoness

Chainsword, Inferno Pistol, Melta Bombs, Rosarius, The Mantle of Ophelia

Saint Celestine

Troops

Battle Sister Squads x2

4x Battle Sisters, Flamer

Sister Superior

Chainsword, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Battle Sister Squad

4x Battle Sisters

Sister Superior

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Melta Bombs, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Fast Attack

Seraphim Squad

5x Seraphim, Two Hand Flamers

Seraphim Superior

Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Power Sword

Heavy Support

Exorcist

Dozer Blade, Extra Amour, Laud Hailer, Storm Bolter

Penitent Engine Squadron

Penitent Engine

Retributor Squad

4x Boltgun, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta

Immolator

Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer

Retributor Superior

Boltgun, Melta Bombs, Power Sword, Upgrade to Veteran Retributor Superior.

Some of the Sisters that get added later will not be Order of the Dauntless Spirit though. More on that soon... :tongue.:

I'm also mulling over ideas for objective markers and a special marker to mark the spot where/if my Celestine falls. One idea is to make a cast of the Fleur de Lys on the a FW Rhino door for the objective markers (an excuse to finally try out the Magic Mold I bought ages ago). The Celestine one needs more thought though...

Any comments etc most welcome! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

A little progress to report:

med_gallery_51296_8390_69287.jpg

I've still got a bit to finish off, but I enjoyed working on them :smile.:

I'll add more pictures when the light is better :laugh.:

Coming along nicely. Great job on the ride.

I've been itching to start on the Immolator and Exorcist, but I wanted to get the Sisters themselves done first, mainly as it'll allow me to get a few small games in with them.

I still haven't decided on a base scheme yet. I've been trying out the "crackle" paints, but the paint always flakes off the base. I might have to try using the sand base kit again (I think the reason why the sand kit didn't work last time is because I wasn't using near enough PVA...)

• 2 months later...

I'd forgotten about this topic (again) and I have some progress to report :happy.:

I'm currently up to 1k points Sister wise (well, the list is still proxying the Razorback and Ironclad as an Exorcist and Penitent Engine. I have the models [not assembled much less painted yet], but I am desperate to get a game in soon, so needs must)

The List:

Hidden Content

Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment)

No Force Org Slot

Sororitas Command Squad

Act of Faith: Endless Crusade, Frag & Krak Grenades, Melta Bombs

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

Hospitaller

Bolt Pistol, Chirurgeon's Tools

Sororitas Rhino

Extra Amour, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers, Storm Bolter, Storm Bolter

HQ

Canoness

Act of Faith: The Passion, Chainsword, Frag & Krak Grenades, Inferno Pistol, Melta Bombs, Rosarius, The Mantle of Ophelia

Saint Celestine

Act of Faith: Miraculous Intervention, Armour of Saint Katherine, Frag & Krak Grenades, Jump Pack, The Ardent Blade

Troops

Battle Sister Squad 1

Act of Faith: Light of the Emperor, 5x Battle Sisters, Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Frag & Krak Grenades

Sister Superior

Chainsword, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Battle Sister Squad 2

Act of Faith: Light of the Emperor, 5x Battle Sisters, Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Flamer, Frag & Krak Grenades

Sister Superior

Boltgun, Chainsword, Melta Bombs, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Heavy Support

Exorcist

Dozer Blade, Exorcist Missile Launcher, Extra Amour, Laud Hailer, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers, Storm Bolter

Penitent Engine Squadron

Penitent Engine

Two Dreadnought Close Combat Weapons with Built-in Heavy Flamers

Retributor Squad

Act of Faith: Divine Guidance, Bolt Pistol, 4x Boltgun, Frag & Krak Grenades, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta

Retributor Superior

Boltgun, Melta Bombs, Power Sword, Upgrade to Veteran Retributor Superior

1000 points exactly

Anyway, to pictures!

med_gallery_51296_8390_78185.jpg

Minus the proxy units. They all finally have a base scheme (Astrogranite) :smile.:

med_gallery_51296_8390_244808.jpg

My favourite unit. The Canoness still needs her arms completed, but other than that, they just need the base trims tidying.

med_gallery_51296_8390_581127.jpg

Battle Sister Squad one (BSS1) I've decided to give each squad a specific name and where possible, name each Sister. I'll be mulling over their names soon.

med_gallery_51296_8390_487962.jpg

Celestine, known as the "Boomerang Girl" or "the Living dead Sister" due to her ability (assuming she passes the dice roll) to come back to life :laugh.:

med_gallery_51296_8390_72699.jpg

The latest addition to the army, Objective Markers. They are the very first ones I've done for any of my armies (including ones that aren't board appropriate :tongue.: ). They didn't take a lot of time at all and really enjoyed making them.

med_gallery_51296_8390_446477.jpg

Battle Sister Squad two (BSS2) The hair isn't as grey looking as they do in the picture :sad.: I'll have to look into getting a decent photo set up (I have an idea or two, but just haven't gotten around to it)

med_gallery_51296_8390_287146.jpg

Retributor Sister Squad one (RSS1) I really do like the heavy weapon Sisters. Forget "Choom" or "Freem" - it's all "FWOOSH!" and "ARGHHH!" for me! :wub.:

Not forgetting large and ever larger doses of FAITH!

med_gallery_51296_8390_539427.jpg

And finally, their transport when not on the field :smile.: I'll be adding a large Fleur in paint at some point. Just need to find a decent sized picture to make a spray template out of.

I'll say one thing for the new cases, they're good for fitting "non standard" or "awkward shaped" models. My Celestine, Canoness and Sister Superiors have been accommodated very well inside!

• 2 weeks later...

SOOOOON!

med_gallery_51296_8390_78912.jpg

It'd be fully assembled, save the fact that the base I tried gluing it to decided to be uncooperative. New base inbound.

I did have to resort to Witchraft Loctite Powerflex superglue to get it to stay together though. Its ultimate test is yet to follow; not one, but two Exorcists! :devil:

More progress to report. As some will know, I bought two Exorcists recently, along with an Immolator and the afore-seen Penitent Engine. I've been putting off building them both for a long time after reading other Sisters players lament at great length just how much of a pain in the fundament they are. After three or more hours of cursing and beseeching of its Machine Spirit, I've managed to get one (nearly) assembled.

med_gallery_51296_8390_192440.jpg

This, along with the Organ Launcher is what makes it such a :censored: to build. The console needed so much effort just to glue seven pieces together, I nearly tore my hair out (and nearly glued my hands to my head in the process) doing it, but aside from the missile rack behind (which is still drying), it's as solid as rock now. I wished I'd left the Sister out so that I could paint her separately, but I have no doubt that if I try to remove her, it will cause more harm than good :sad.: Still, it's something to bear in mind for the second one...

med_gallery_51296_8390_379147.jpg

Bloody hell, this was another cause of frustration. The pins at the bottom don't align with the base, so I had to cut/file them off. The pipes don't align very well either, so after some cutting and filing, they are glued together, but are still slightly out of line. Still, I'm glad that's over with until I start its twin :blink.:

med_gallery_51296_8390_49932.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8390_456869.jpg

In these pictures, the base of the Organ and Organ pipes are still not glued together. That will happen once I get more glue, specifically Loctite powerflex. I've used four tubes so far (and at

Typically, I forgot about taking pictures as I was building the second Exorcist :sad.: If I ever get a third, I'll definitely do so :happy.:

Anyway, as usual, I had a bout of insomnia. Rather than mope around, I thought I'd get the remaining portion of the Order's motorpool built:

med_gallery_51296_8390_37709.jpg

I finally found a proper use for this (once I evicted my Rainbow Warriors out of it...)

med_gallery_51296_8390_585854.jpg

It fits all six vehicles in very well:

med_gallery_51296_8390_33662.jpg

I'll be decorating it appropriately soon. Just need to work out what I want and where...

I'm waiting for my local GW's mail orders to arrive so that I can get started on bulk spraying everything!

Hopefully, I'll have more to report later on today...

"The Penitent Engine is the final method of redemption available to those who have fallen from His grace. It is an absolution, a rededication of ones soul to Him on Earth. The Penitent Engine known as the Test is a device unlike most others. Not only does it dredge up each and every sin committed by its occupant, but it forces them to remember the sins of its previous occupants as well. The fury, the despair and the nigh upon psychopathic need to enter the fray is palpable to those who witness it. It serves as a rallying point, for no Sister would ever retreat when the Test still stands. But it also acts as a warning - Be not be wanting in your service to the God-Emperor, for eventually the Test will be waiting for you..." - From the personal notes of Canoness Saffron Sera, of the Order of the Dauntless Spirit.

Boy, oh boy am I glad to have finally finished constructing this model! :laugh.: I think the name is very apt.

To get the first leg attached, I had to resort to...unconventional methods...

med_gallery_51296_8390_322309.jpg

:laugh.: Never thought I'd ever see a PE break dancing...

med_gallery_51296_8390_119324.jpg

I'm still musing upon what crime the Test's current occupant has committed.

med_gallery_51296_8390_131570.jpg

More to come...

She has been at the forefront of every battle my Order has been engaged in, but more than that. She has been fighting the Emperor's wars for longer than anyone can remember. Her harsh demeanour belies a pure soul, one that has roused the spirit of anyone who hears it. Many outsiders have stared in disbelief at her appearance, looking more of a ganger than that of an Ordained Priest. That she was a former member of a Hive gang is irrelevant. Her mastery of oration is inspirational, her ability to push her fellows to great and greater acts in war knows no bounds.
She has a personal battle, one that I'll never be privy to the details of. I do not think that she will ever accomplish it..."
- Canoness Saffron Sera, Order of the Dauntless Spirit.

Morigan Nemain is a former priest of the Imperial Creed on the Hive world of Nomusta. She was indoctrinated at a young age, orphaned after her parents fought and died in a gang attack of the Ecclesiarchy outpost in the lower levels of the hive. Her finders decided to send her to Ophelia as an initiate, her ability to recite the Imperial Catechism on demand was of note. Whilst she excelled and was fully ordained, thoughts of her past lingered and was never fully laid to rest. On a return to the place of her birth, she discovered the very hovel that she and her mother and father called home. There lay her fathers chainsword and her mothers plasma pistol. Dressing in the gang colours and style in their honour, she took them with her, she took to the battle lines alongside the small Convent that would eventually become the Order of the Dauntless Spirit. Favouring a shotgun for close encounters, her insightful oration keeps morale high, whilst her retribution to those who killed her family will never be answered. Instead she turns her anger against who have betrayed the Imperium. No mutant, Heretic or Xeno will stay her hand...

med_gallery_51296_8390_699146.jpg

I'm not quite sure about her fluff, but I can always come back to it. In any case, I finally have a female model to use instead of Jacobus! (I have to fashion a shot gun (or at least give a fair indication that she has one. The Plasma pistol will stay with the model, however. I know that Jacobus doesn't have such a weapon, but the pose is just too cool to mess with! :happy.: ) She'll be added into the armies roster further down the line :smile.:

Interesting miniature. Can't wait to see her painted up. :thumbsup:

She's from Necromunda (under the name of D'Onne "Mad Donna" Ulanti. She was a character model, usually associated with Clan Escher, an all female Hive gang). I decided from the start that all of my models will be female, if not to honour the spirit of the Decree Passive, if not the letter :laugh.:

I just need to get my work shift out of the way tomorrow, so that I can actually get some paint on them all! :happy.:

• 5 months later...

Well, I thought it past time that I gave an update. I had a week off last week and my intention was to get my first vow complete. I didn't even start it, due to various reasons (mostly procrastination :dry.: ), but still, I've finally gotten of the starting block!

I've built one of my Penitent Engines, but the glue is still drying and in a position that makes it impossible to photograph without moving it. I'll have a picture in the next update. The same goes for my Legion of the Damned squad (using both Sisters models and Sisters Codex for points). However, I now give a Public Service announcement that the Unforgiven might find interesting...

med_gallery_51296_8390_124307.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8390_434805.jpg

I wonder who she is... :tongue.:

After much :censored: ing, I managed to get the first of the two custom Immolators built. I will have a name for the "pattern" type, but I haven't decided on the name yet. I was going to get a start on the second one, but I need to get to sleep soon :laugh.:

med_gallery_51296_8390_357816.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8390_393499.jpg

More soon...

Archived