I have always been better than my brothers. They all know it but none of them will admit it. None of them have ever matched me in two centuries of war except for Pionius and Icarion. Some of them hate me for it, of that I have no doubt. The weak lapdogs who yapp at my father's feet are no doubt even now yapping about how I'm unfit to lead my legion. They hate me. I will give them good reason for their hate. When I've crushed their sons and destroyed their homes.

They believe in our father's vision of the Imperium. I don't. I never have. His motives are no nobler than any other of the thousand tyrants who came before him. He sends us out to conquer the galaxy for him and when we conquer a world makes us put them to sleep with golden promises of a new era of peace and understanding. Then, when they wake, they discover that all they ever has been taken. Stolen. They are slaves to a galaxy spanning beaurocracy and are forced to call it "illumination" rather than what it is.

The shackles of slavery are beginning to tighten on the legions too. We now have beaurocrats watching our ever move, telling what we can do and we can't do. All because civilians find certain things distasteful. Pah! They've never been on a battlefield or seen the blood from a freshly killed soldier or needed to tear out a man's throat with their teeth. They are simply servants of my father and their job to clamp the shackles shut and enslave the legions once and for all. I will never be a slave.

On my home world I lived as part of a tribe of equals. We were free. We hunted, we travelled where we chose. It was a good life. Then my father came and snatched me away and he began to tell me what I should do, as if I were some kind of servant! He gave me orders and expected me to follow them just because he wore a suit of gold armour and could do a few party tricks. He behaves so high and mighty but I never saw him live under constraints or bleed in the mud and dirt.

He wants to enslave the legions to his will and make his sons into servants.

I am no man's servant. I am no man's slave.

The testament of Wilym Jackel

Edited by Sigismund229

He's already head of the Assassins in effect, and he seems too humble to me to want a bodyguard for ceremonial purposes. Every time I've encountered him in the fluff, his quite solitary state is a key part of how he is portrayed, and a symbolic guard might go against that.

Plus, I don't quite get why Malcador would have an agenda that requires his own agents. If anything, having the same forces at his neck and call that Big E draws on would give a better impression of his power.

Except he's the regent of the Imperium so there's going to be ceremonial occasions and the like. For those the Hands are both a ceremonial guard but they're also a propaganda piece in a way that the Custodians aren't.

And Malcador is unlikely to have his own agenda true. But if there's summat he can't be seen to and neither can the custodians(what with the whole Emperor's guards deal) but that he can't the council of Terra to vote an assassin for he sends a Hand.

The council vote thing is only post-Heresy to the best of my knowledge. And the Imperium will have any number of Rogue Traders, spies and other operstives at its service, who are far less conspicuous than an Astartes.

Think of it this way; there must have been ceremonial occasions in the canonverse where the Emperor was absent, yet Malcador felt no need for a symbolic guard beyond a detachment of the Imperial Army.

Hmm. I wasn't aware of the council not voting on things till after the Heresy.

We don't know what Malcador was accompanied by a guard of that I know of. However, the Hands are a better propaganda tool than a detachment of Imperial Army(not to mention more capable) and also form a conveniant base for the KE.

I was actually intending to write more about them and flesh out their characters more but was waiting till I had names for all 18 of them. I'm also planning to whittle them down a bit and can say with certainty that nowhere near all 18 survive the Insurrection.

Inspiration struck today when I should've been applying for jobs.

+++++

Custodians were suddenly everywhere, darting out from arches to surround the Space Marines. Halberds were levelled at them, the barrels of their inbuilt bolters an unmistakable threat. As if that was insufficient, flashes of emerald light brought Custodians in massive suits of Terminator armour, training storm bolters and more exotic weapons on them.

“Lord Commander Ruel,” growled one of the Terminators, his seniority given away by a mane of red horsehair that flowed from stop his helm. Kaedin. “You and Captain Crist will instruct your men to stand down. The rest of you will drop your weapons and be taken into custody by the authority of the Emperor, beloved by all.”

“What is the meaning of this?” Ruel's anger was exacerbated by shock. No one knew whether to raise their weapons or drop them. Akylles kept an eye on his commander; in the confusion the best course would be to take his cues from Ruel.

“Do you think it is your place to question orders given in the name of the Master of Mankind?”

Ruel remained defiant, staring silently up at Kaedin. Then Muniza stepped past him, drawing his tanto with his free hand, a strange expression on his face. Instantly, a dozen guns locked on to him. Even if Muniza had still had his foresight, he'd be lucky to make it a metre in any direction.

The Lightning Bearer halted, swords held at his side. His eyes never left Kaedin. Every warrior in the building was so still that they might pass for a collection of florid, grandiose statues. Akylles remembered those agonising instants on Stengah between Alexandros' warning and the ambush by the AI monster. A feeling of impending catastrophe, and helplessness.

When the moment came, it wasn't what any of them had expected. Muniza's swords clattered on the stone. The next sound was the warrior kneeling. “We must not resist,” he declared with a quiet firmness. “No harm will come to us - I see it.” The rest of the Crusaders exchanged glances until Yimura dropped his swords and knelt. Taipo of the Jackals followed, then Xiahu of the Warriors of Peace. After a minute, the warriors of the Crusader Host knelt, unarmed. Yet as Kaedin lumbered forward, Ruel barred his path.

“Commander,” Kaedin rumbled, “I have nothing but admiration for your deeds and honour, but if you obstruct us further you will yourself be incarcerated.”

“Irvin.” Muniza spoke softly. “Something of the future is laid clear to me again. This has to happen. Please, allow the Custodians to proceed.”

Reluctantly, Ruel stood aside and the Custodians briskly set about gathering up the discarded weapons. Muniza raised his eyes to Kaedin as the enormous figure approached. “I have but a single question.” That total composure seeped out of his voice, and turmoil emerged like a wrecked ship from a receding tide. “Why has my Primarch done this?”

Edited by bluntblade

Inspiration struck today when I should've been applying for jobs.

+++++

Custodians were suddenly everywhere, darting out from arches to surround the Space Marines. Halberds were levelled at them, the barrels of their inbuilt bolters an unmistakable threat. As if that was insufficient, flashes of emerald light brought Custodians in massive suits of Terminator armour, training storm bolters and more exotic weapons on them.

“Lord Commander Ruel,” growled one of the Terminators, his seniority given away by a mane of red horsehair that flowed from stop his helm. Kaedin. “You and Captain Crist will instruct your men to stand down. The rest of you will drop your weapons and be taken into custody by the authority of the Emperor, beloved by all.”

“What is the meaning of this?” Ruel's anger was exacerbated by shock. No one knew whether to raise their weapons or drop them. Akylles kept an eye on his commander; in the confusion the best course would be to take his cues from Ruel.

“Do you think it is your place to question orders given in the name of the Master of Mankind?”

Ruel remained defiant, staring silently up at Kaedin. Then Muniza stepped past him, drawing his tanto with his free hand, a strange expression on his face. Instantly, a dozen guns locked on to him. Even if Muniza had still had his foresight, he'd be lucky to make it a metre in any direction.

The Lightning Bearer halted, swords held at his side. His eyes never left Kaedin. Every warrior in the building was so still that they might pass for a collection of florid, grandiose statues. Akylles remembered those agonising instants on Stengah between Alexandros' warning and the ambush by the AI monster. A feeling of impending catastrophe, and helplessness.

When the moment came, it wasn't what any of them had expected. Muniza's swords clattered on the stone. The next sound was the warrior kneeling. “We must not resist,” he declared with a quiet firmness. “No harm will come to us - I see it.” The rest of the Crusaders exchanged glances until Yimura dropped his swords and knelt. Taipo of the Jackals followed, then Xiahu of the Warriors of Peace. After a minute, the warriors of the Crusader Host knelt, unarmed. Yet as Kaedin lumbered forward, Ruel barred his path.

“Commander,” Kaedin rumbled, “I have nothing but admiration for your deeds and honour, but if you obstruct us further you will yourself be incarcerated.”

“Irvin.” Muniza spoke softly. “Something of the future is laid clear to me again. This has to happen. Please, allow the Custodians to proceed.”

Reluctantly, Ruel stood aside and the Custodians briskly set about gathering up the discarded weapons. Muniza raised his eyes to Kaedin as the enormous figure approached. “I have but a single question.” That total composure seeped out of his voice, and turmoil emerged like a wrecked ship from a receding tide. “Why has my Primarch done this?”

Cool story. I like it :) Just one problem. The LB purged their ranks of all loyalists in the decades leading up to the Insurrection so any being left, even in the crusader host, seems a bit of a longshot

I'm thinking he's the lone warrior whose powers were seemingly broken by Dark Eldar torture before Icarion's decision, and has served on Terra ever since. He's simply disregarded by his Legion - almost a Qruze figure now I think about it - and considered not worth the effort of doing in (or the risks involved in offing an Astartes on Terra and covering it up). Hence his total ignorance of what is happening among his Legion, which might manifest in referring to himself as ronin.

My feeling with the Hands as they stand is that they look too much like they're just there to form a convenient mould. Once we add in all the clandestine operatives the Imperium can use, they begin to look a bit redundant. Any characters people have out time into can of course find their way into the Rangers and thence the Nightguard, they'll just be taking a different route.

Edited by bluntblade

I'm thinking he's the lone warrior whose powers were seemingly broken by Dark Eldar torture before Icarion's decision, and has served on Terra ever since. He's simply disregarded by his Legion - almost a Qruze figure now I think about it - and considered not worth the effort of doing in (or the risks involved in offing an Astartes on Terra and covering it up). Hence his total ignorance of what is happening among his Legion, which might manifest in referring to himself as ronin

An outcast who's viewed as broken and harmless. That could work

I need to find a different verb, then.

Err, maybe tone down that golden age stuff? Alexos' views so far have been rather more clinical and "law of the jungle", whereas that's quite Lorgarish

See here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311347-eagles-descent-a-ii-legion-log-the-eagle-warriors/page-4?do=findComment&comment=4327695

Edited by bluntblade

Great piece Sigi! Just one minor critique. Willym's respect for Pionus comes from the way he treated him after he caught the Qarith round to the mouth. The masterful care and rejuvenation that enabled him to gain his ability to speak again led to Willym finding a deep respect for Pionus' ways and abilities.

Huh? (To Mikhael)

By the way, it is Mikhal^^ But most make the mistake. They should play Dragonforce, then they would never ever make this mistake again.

No. I red your story and suddenly I had an epiphany what would be the case if Ruel joins the traitors.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I once read of a mighty general named Alexandre from the dawn of mankind's empire in the stars. He was a visionary. He took a human army to the far edges of the galaxy. There was nothing left for him to conquer, the world was his. He grew in power and eventually he turned from the gods that had favoured him throughout his conquests, tried to become a god himself. He had his people build monuments to him that were as tall as the sky and entire cities of gold in his honour. The gods withdrew their support. The tides of the warp grew ever more difficult to navigate. His empire splintered and humanity lived in dark times, losing more than it had ever known. 

We stand on the dawn of a new age. Humanity spreads its reach across the stars once more. However, we do so under my father, the Emperor, the new Alexandre. He has declared there are no gods yet he seeks to make himself one. The dead must weep, if the dead weep. I too would weep in their place to see humanity repeating the mistakes of its past. But I would also hope. The wheel of the universe turns. What was, may come again. The gods still spin the web of men's lives. So now, perhaps the gods wish humanity to be great again. 

The wheel has turned so that we now stand at a crossroad. The road my father is taking us down will lead to nothing but a slow decay and the eventuall destruction of humanity. The other road leads to a new golden age of humanity. Icarion has already taken his first steps down the second road. I must guide him along it. But it is a narrow road. One misstep and he will step back onto the road my father walks. I cannot allow that to happen. 

I will not allow that to happen

The testament of Alexos Travier, the First Heretic

Here you go blunt. There's the testament of Alexos Travier. I don't think it clashes with your pieces? Incidentaly, is there any traitor primarchs I've missed?

Edited by Sigismund229

I'd change the stuff about dark times and golden ages. Alexos doesn't think in those terms so much as he does of a primal order, where weakness and complacency are punished and the string devour the weak. Mankind abases itself and gains the power to rule the galaxy, or it dooms itself to be broken by those who understand the true nature of the universe.

If anything, utopian talk and the idea of gods wishing humanity well in any way simply disgusts him. It's the Aztec faith boiled down to its most merciless essence.

Incidentaly, is there any traitor primarchs I've missed

Andezo, though I'm not sure his character is established enough for a testimony.

I wouldn't be adverse to have those for loyalists as well, they are a wonderfil way to describe the primarchs without going encyclopedical.

I'm thinking he's the lone warrior whose powers were seemingly broken by Dark Eldar torture before Icarion's decision, and has served on Terra ever since. He's simply disregarded by his Legion - almost a Qruze figure now I think about it - and considered not worth the effort of doing in (or the risks involved in offing an Astartes on Terra and covering it up). Hence his total ignorance of what is happening among his Legion, which might manifest in referring to himself as ronin

Worked so far for Nux, the little scamp.

Worked so far for Nux, the little scamp.

Btw Raktra, feel free to use Raktra's testimony as an intro to your new 'serkers thread

@blunt: Could you not do one for Damon or Niinasiniwi? I feel that thz testimonies should be kept to the primarchs

Edited by Sigismund229

Rix Murchad looked at the swarm of legionnaires in blue and white charging towards him. Each one that was unhelmed had cables snaking down the back of his skull and a look of utter bloodshot fury in his eyes, blood flecked foam streaming down from his mouth and they all had a chainsword or chainaxe whirring and buzzing in their fists and some had their mouths locked open emitting a howl of pure rage. 

Beside Murchad  were his battle brothers of the Crimson Lions, standing as a disciplined line of crimson and bronze. Seeing the lobotomized madmen charging forwards at an impressive pace, Murchad roared "Crimson Lions! Form up on me!". At this, a voice behind him rumbled "Well it's true that you need the help". Turning, Murchad saw Ancient Torgaddon behind him, his plasma carronade opening up in a furious hail of white hot fire. One of the first dreadnoughts, Torgaddon had been one of the Cthonians that the IIIrd had taken in to fill out its ranks in the early Great Crusade and he insisted on trying to turn everything into a joke and largely he failed. None the less, Murchad felt infinitely better having Torgaddon's plasma carronades and aios missile launcher on his side than against him and so he smiled at the weak joke, knowing he could rely on the dreadnought to fight until every last enemy was dead. "Crimson Lions!" roared Murchad again "Til Uprannan!" and then, as their shields slammed in place with a dull clang the other Crimson Lions replied "TIL VALHALL!" and Torgaddon rumbled "Kill for the living. Kill for the dead". 

So I won my first game using Legiones Astartes(Crimson Lions) against the World Eaters. I'm thinking I may need to replace a few of the Crimson Lions breacher or close combat bonuses. Tomorrow I'm playing against the Imperial Fists so we'll see how that turns out. 

Blunt, Sig, how many different groups do we have so far?

We have the Hands and Rangers as Knights Errant esq groups and then there's also the Nightguard.