I'm happy for the Ranger's name to change, it was just to distinguish between them and the canon Knights Errant. Their role will basically be the same as in canon, with the addition of hunting down Turrus which segues into espionage in the domains of Cognis and the first sign that the Blood Crusade is about to occur.

So, I'm seeing this argument that we might be overwhelming the 'verse with too many organizations, or that there isn't enough to justify their existence. Some of these groups are canon parallels, so can I see a full list of these groups? These marines bodies outside of the Legions?

The Nightguard, who I believe exist to seek out Warp hazards - I don't really know beyond that, except an agent has been sent to find Turrus and been captured.

The Hands of the Sigillite - both a ceremonial bodyguard and a force who act where Malcador cannot be seen to act, which personally confuses me somewhat.

The Rangers/Knights Errant - a force of Astartes assembled by Malcador much as the canon Knights Errant are. Missions include tracking down Turrus, infiltrating Cognis Forges and recruiting Black Shields for the final stage of the Insurrection.

OK. They're a ceremonial body that guards the Imperial Palace and serves as ambassadors for each Legion. You know The Outcast Dead? Those marines are part of the Crusader Host.

I assume you're aware how the Blackshields operate? If not, Space Marines who, if not non-aligned, have cast off their Legion colours for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, but I don't know what they do, and are there any other space marine groups outside of the legion that we haven't covered?

I'm not sure if this counts but the biggest Navigator house and the navigator whom sits on the high council has a large bodyguard of Totem Guard.

So, is there no difference between the Rangers and the Knights Errant?

Also, I do agree that Space Marines make for poor agents, especially when Malcador can call on any assassin or human agents. I'm curious about the argument against Malcador having ceremonial bodyguard for events. 

So, is there no difference between the Rangers and the Knights Errant?

Also, I do agree that Space Marines make for poor agents, especially when Malcador can call on any assassin or human agents. I'm curious about the argument against Malcador having ceremonial bodyguard for events.

Yeah, we might as just call them Knights Errant if I'm honest.

It just doesn't seem quite right to me. Everything about him is meant to belie his power and influence, compared to the sheer pomp of the Emperor.

It's essentially a kind of pan-Legion honor guard that can engage in a little espionage on the side. I agree that, on reflection, Malcador makes for a poor use for them since he is in charge of the Imperial assassins and he keeps to the shadows. 

So, my early thought was that they served as bodyguards/representatives to the War Council whenever it assembled whenever the Primarchs or their Equerries couldn't make it. So, they were nicknamed as the Hands since they often reported/protected the Legion Equerries. When the War Council is replaced by the Terran Council, the Hands go from being whoever is available at the time to a permanent position since the Equerries are charged with representing their Primarchs elsewhere in the Great Crusade. Thus, the Hands go from bodyguards to the Legions' representatives to the Terran Council. 

If we go with that idea, it might be better to call them the Hands of Terra. Also, I imagine that whenever Alex is on Terra taking care of the politics, he works closely with them to keep in touch with the Legions. 

Edited by simison

It's essentially a kind of pan-Legion honor guard that can engage in a little espionage on the side. I agree that, on reflection, Malcador makes for a poor use for them since he is in charge of the Imperial assassins and he keeps to the shadows. 

So, my early thought was that they served as bodyguards/representatives to the War Council whenever it assembled whenever the Primarchs or their Equerries couldn't make it. So, they were nicknamed as the Hands since they often reported/protected the Legion Equerries. When the War Council is replaced by the Terran Council, the Hands go from being whoever is available at the time to a permanent position since the Equerries are charged with representing their Primarchs elsewhere in the Great Crusade. Thus, the Hands go from bodyguards to the Legions' representatives to the Terran Council. 

If we go with that idea, it might be better to call them the Hands of Terra. Also, I imagine that whenever Alex is on Terra taking care of the politics, he works closely with them to keep in touch with the Legions. 

Well, that's the Crusade Host in a nutshell, but Alex's treatment would increase their importance. I didn't realise they had a voice in the Council of Terra until today.

Just one thought; is there a danger of Alex's telepathy picking up on treacherous thoughts from an Astartes without him meaning to?

Now I think about it, the Assassins can come into play during the hunt in the Petitioner's City. There's also the possibility that the Insurrectionists could make common cause with Tarannis and his Thunder Warriors...

Edited by bluntblade

No, that's just an idea I had to re-tool the Hands into something more appropriate. I didn't know the Crusader Host acted as representatives to the Legion. Truth be told, I don't know if in canon, the Legions had official representation on the Terran Council, but I know that in BotL, if asked, Alex would use his power to give them a a voice. Maybe, instead, they can be the Legion representatives to the Warmaster on Terra?

Either works, with this Warmaster being more of a political animal.

Also:

++++++

They have the audacity to call it war. A just war, and themselves liberators. These men who plotted against us and butchered my sons, who seek to rule Mankind. Do they delude themselves, or their followers, that it is for Humanity's own good, or do they admit their self-seeking ambition to themselves?

For whatever reason, they have chosen a course of treachery and murder. I have had a brother taken from me, and nine more have lost any right to call themselves such. Whatever kinship their was between us has been extinguished in the blood they spilled.

Icarion clings to what nobility he can, and perhaps we should thankful for that; the imagination recoils at what horrors might result if the Grave Stalkers and Berserkers of Uran were unleashed to ravage every world we still hold. Yet he is marked by those who stand with him. The murderers of worlds are his lieutenants, and in time he must cast them out or sink to their level. Either way, pandemonium will be the result.

If he can see the wrongness in his actions and reject the monsters he has called upon to fight for him, he may have some measure of forgiveness and a clean death. Whatever Alexandros says, we have gone beyond any clean reunion. I fear that rapprochement is impossible, and that at the end of this conflict we will stand far fewer, made yet more lonely by our own hand.

But sentiment will not prevent me from doing what is necessary. Treachery is a cnacer, and though we may mutilate the body of the Imperium in cutting it out, the only alternative is to allow it to riddle the whole. My duty is to protect my people and thus I will follow my father and my Warmaster through whatever trials lie ahead. For the Emperor. For Mankind.

The Iona Declaration, written by Pionus Santor. This is the unredacted version available only to Inquisitors and Adepts of a certain rank. Pionus' contradiction of the Warmaster's plans is censored in editions meant for public consumption.

Edited by bluntblade