Plus he can't tank like a mofo for them, as they only have a 4+ poor bugs bots.

Im thinking of adding some robots to my Death Guard to grt some nice resilient anti AV into the mix and complement the reaping. I'm trying to avoid AV in the legion list and I like the fluff of them taking robots into the Rad Death Hell battles they themselves excel in.

I have about 635 to play around with in a Cybernetica Allied Detachment.

So far that equates to a Dominus with Auguary Scanner, two dark fire bots with targeters and a stock Thanatar.

Would I be better off with more Castellax perhaps? Any other ideas welcome.

^How do you find Paragon of Metal on an artillery bot like the Thanatar?

I've been using it on an Arlatax to buddy up with the Homunculex in a micro-posse. Unfortunately with WS4, I've found that a single Arly isn't quite as earth shattering as I would have hoped.

You need at least 2 for the compulsory troop slots. You could split the darkfire cannons if you wanted and had the troop slots.

The generic Archmagos Dominus is not very good, and the relic while awesome is not a pick up game item. Skoria has an innate power he can use on a full squad. That's why I like Vorax, they are I5 with him and give him scout to get up the board.

oh it isn't? welllll poopy. I thought it was like 40k relics!

Alright, so I made a list and it looks something like this (made it before the critque, so I will probably fix it later to be more doable):

________

Archmagos Dominus w/ Abeyant, cyber familiar, power weapon, Machinator Array and Cortica Primus)

Magos Dominus With cyber familiar

Adsecularius covenant with x15 thralls and Rite of pure thought and mitralocks

Adsecularius Covenant with x12 tech thralls and Rite of pure Thought 

x2 Darkfire Castellex  with enhanced targeters <Magos goes here

x4 Castellex with enhanced targeters <archmagos goes here

Myrmidon destructors (x3 Destructors, x3 Graviton imploders)

Myrmidon destructors (x3 Destructors, x3 Graviton imploders)

Thanatar Class Siege automata with enhanced targeting array and paragon of metal

So that is my list I was thinking about at 2001 points, with the thralls being a "OH GOD HIDE" squad while the castellex walk around shooting crap. at 2,500 I was thinking of dropping two thralls while adding my domitars and an ordinator Magos Prime with a conversion beamer for long range carnage.

my only problem with skoria is that he is dark mechanicus, and I am firmly a loyalist! What can I say I like being the good guy :wink:

so taking into account your suggestions, I should make one big squad of destructors while keeping the bots MSU? And what would you say about an imperial knight paladin as a LoW

Edited by Tiger9gamer

Well yeah, of course. I define pick up games as games will you show up at the store not knowing who you are going to play, therefore I try to build those lists in a way where I don't have to have a discussion before each game where I'm asking the opponents permission to play something.

Even if they acquiesce, there's always that grumbling after the game, oh you won only because of that relic, or oh I am so awesome I won even though you were using relics!

Well yeah, of course. I define pick up games as games will you show up at the store not knowing who you are going to play, therefore I try to build those lists in a way where I don't have to have a discussion before each game where I'm asking the opponents permission to play something.

Even if they acquiesce, there's always that grumbling after the game, oh you won only because of that relic, or oh I am so awesome I won even though you were using relics!

That is a fair point too, so I can see what you mean. I don't even know if it's in the red book! if it's not then I would exclude it from my lists.

Relics are only found at the tail end of the campaign section of Book 4.

Although off the top of my head, none of the Legion-specific relics were particularly mind-blowing (although some definitely much better than others), they probably could have included them with the Legions book without issues. It was mostly the generic stuff that was widespread and really powerful.

Edited by Terminus

Relics are only found at the tail end of the campaign section of Book 4.

yeaaa see now I gotta take that out of my list cause I dont have that book. Blahhhhhhhh it's frustrating being a poor college student

anyways, what do you think of the list I made? I may need to post in in the heresy lists too, but I wanna know before I play my first HH game.

Edited by Tiger9gamer

I've been using it on an Arlatax to buddy up with the Homunculex in a micro-posse. Unfortunately with WS4, I've found that a single Arly isn't quite as earth shattering as I would have hoped.

I guess with a magos to heal means he'll just tank a lot more firepower.

Thanatar draws a lot of fire, and people like to drop things close to try and silence it. The extra melee attacks help get disengaged and IWND makes it more annoying. Also it gives it some independence and I don't have to rely on keeping it within 12" (or even 24" of a cortex controller). I've had my backline cortex controller killed by incoming reserves, and watched the Thanatar chase a Rhino around. Bad times.

On the other hand, a Paragon Arlatax paired with a Homonculex sounds pretty hilarious.

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread! Next project I think will be Legio Cybernetica, so it's been great to see thoughts and ideas from all angles. My foray into and love of the 'Mech' has most been Skitarii based until now, so the thought of some larger robots is quite exciting. I've got three Thallax already, and will look to add some Castellax as well as the Taghmata book imminently to get going.

Thallax are not robots!

Oh yes, I was thinking more in terms of Castellax and Thanatars for the robotic component!

Although, on the subject of Thallax - any particular thoughts on unit composition? Concencus from my reading suggests to be going for larger rather than minimum size squads, but any thoughts on how they might be best equipped?

Edited by Chaeron

On the other hand, a Paragon Arlatax paired with a Homonculex sounds pretty hilarious.

It absolutely is. If you ever get a chance I highly recommend trying it out.

It absolutely is. If you ever get a chance I highly recommend trying it out.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does this work?  Can't you only have one paragon of metal per army?

^ Yep, can't have Homonculex and another Paragon of Metal in the same army.

But with (arguably) the best Battle-Automata having free Rage and free PoM, why would you need another one? :)

Hmmm... interesting. The wording is:

"A single maniple comprised solely of a single Battle-automata/Siege-automata (of any type) in the detachment may be given the Paragon of Metal special rule."

I would argue that you can only take 1 per detachment, not 1-of-each-variant per detachment.

I haven't seen anyone else suggest it's legal to have more than one, nor ever seen an army list with more than one. Someone else want to chime in one way or the other? :)

Hmmm... interesting. The wording is:

"A single maniple comprised solely of a single Battle-automata/Siege-automata (of any type) in the detachment may be given the Paragon of Metal special rule."

That is totally 1 per army then it would seem!

Yeah my playgroup had this debate a little while back when retribution first came out.

We essentially settled on Homonculex upgrade =/= single available Paragon of Metal upgrade.

Yeah that makes sense, as it doesn't really purchase it - it's a special deal unlocked by Scoria.

Sort of hoping Scoria comes with a Homoculex upgrade kit for an Arlatax now :o

I can see where the Homonculex doesn't use up the 1 available PoM slot, as it can be taken "in addition to the other Battle-automata in his detachment". Seems to make it slot-free option.

I also just noticed that Scoria isn't actually a Traitor-only character. He simply cannot be taken in a Loyalist allied force!

I can see where the Homonculex doesn't use up the 1 available PoM slot, as it can be taken "in addition to the other Battle-automata in his detachment".

This was our reasoning. "In addition to" we took to mean over and above whatever else is available to the detachment.