[HH1.0] Militia and Cults tactica

disease

I think fortifications should be heavily considered too. 

1.  wall of martyr defense gives everyone stubborn and rerolls on failed over watch roll with heavy weapons. Now take 60 hvy wepon fire support squads...

2. Take wall of martyr imperial defense network with tainted flesh, cult hordes. The guns are automated, so you don't have to worry about snap shots only. 

3. Pomethium pip relays with 10 hvy flamers and take the planetary overlord with your force commander. Not to have 10 torrent AP3 heavy flamers.

4. Use fortress of redemption to block LOS to quad mortar batteries and a spotter some where else.

5. Imperial statuary are amazing. Models within 2" are fearless. Making their squads fearless! Think heavy ordinance batteries... (Might be the only reason ever to take a nuncio vox :P

6. tank traps are impassable to tanks. So the new AOD missions require you to get across the board a lot of the time. A heavy investment in tank traps makes some missions very hard on your enemy.

7. ammo dumps. re roll ones, is awesome with things like fire support squads with auto cannons. 

8. Escape hatches are interesting for certain units like spawn to give them a forward deployment

9. com relays are one of the only ways to get reserve manipulation without allies

10. Votex missile auxilla strong point. I mean if you ever had a list to use with this, it would be militia. I mean who cares f it scatters on you? Your guys cost 2 pt!

11. What's better than a storm hammer than a storm hammer with 3 void shields! 

Edited by defl0

Flier spam is an interesting concept as well. Ok, so a grenadier squad is roughly 100 points tooled up as is the arvus lighter with a decent weapon. plus 3 thunder bolts is another 600 points ish. 

Ok so 6 TL lascannons and 3 thunder bolts of shots isn't really hugely scary. But 12 kinetic piercer missiles is nothing to sneeze at.

But considering the game is more about keeping units around to the end game, getting across the board and losing less units than your opponent... well a list with this at it's core does function well in that capacity. 

I didn't take these options, but I realized there are some scary combos you can do with fire support squads combined with rogue psyker HQs, survivors of the dark age, and the planetary overlord rule. For example: x30 rerollable S6 AP3 heavy bolter shots every turn, or x20 rerollable S8 autocannon shots every turn. Ouch.

Isn't the survivors of the dark age +1S only for a specific set of weapons and for specific units only? I don't remember seeing Hbolters or ACs on that list.

I didn't take these options, but I realized there are some scary combos you can do with fire support squads combined with rogue psyker HQs, survivors of the dark age, and the planetary overlord rule. For example: x30 rerollable S6 AP3 heavy bolter shots every turn, or x20 rerollable S8 autocannon shots every turn. Ouch.

Isn't the survivors of the dark age +1S only for a specific set of weapons and for specific units only? I don't remember seeing Hbolters or ACs on that list.

Good catch, you're right. You can't up the strength with that rule, but you can up the AP value thanks to planetary overlord.

• 2 weeks later...

lol. Yeah. Tank shock is a biotch. Rhinos are hugely under rated.

So, I'm still combing through this militia list.

One of the things i recently noticed is that word bearers, sons of horus and alpha legion are sworn brothers on the allies table. And this stays the same even if you take the cult horde or tainted flesh. 

Seems tainted flesh levies are fricken nasty with a word bearer demagogue (or erebus) attached.  

100 guys with rending is a great pick up for super cheap. 

What do you guys think of heavy ordinance?

2000 pts

Planetary over lord with tainted weapon, tainted flesh

Lvl 2 psycher with tainted weapon

Lvl 1 psycher with tainted weapon

5 X 100 levies with collars

10 hvy support hvy bolters 

3 x 3 hvy ordinance medusa batteries with breacher shells

So the list has 250 mooks with 500 rending attacks. 750 rending attacks on the charge. All with fear, 6+ FNP and stubborn LD  7. The list also has 30 36" range s5 AP3 shots and 9 S10 ap1 armor bane blasts. The characters make these LD 8 or 9.

It also has 100 ish points left over.

Leadership is obviously it's weakness, but it's hard to force LD checks on 50 mooks or T7 Artillery that you can jack the squad size up on. And good luck winning in hth. 

Alternatively, you could add some craziness and add an allies daemon summon star, and some horrors and just start manufacturing daemons on top of this craziness.  

Slips, that Tank Shock video that Reecius did was very informative! :) Very interesting stuff...

Yeah, that corral maneuver is a bit of a fad in the tourney scene lately.

I appreciate the effort the Frontline guys put into educating people, but this is the exact kind of thing that would make sure I'd avoid a bro that tried it during a game.

It bothers me a bit since a video like this is essentially teaching people how to exploit the game system just like they would a weird glitch in Call of Duty or something.

'Learning to play' is a pithy comment, but genuinely when coming up against new tactics shoukd be something you learn to counter.

It is avoidable, costing you the odd chaff model, or not falling into the obvious set ups. No different than crying foul because people whinge about you running a typhon at 2k.

I do admit I am in a priveledged position to be able to modify my list and proxy and make the odd purchase when I need to.

I for one enjoy using that tactic because it reminds of apc spamming engineers or flame tanks into enemy bases and squashing everything tier 1.5

Deflo, perhaps find a way to let you keep 235pts left over and pick up a firestorm redoubt with ammo dump. 6 firepoints rerolling 1's to hit for hB's and 2 Battlecannons.

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

Deflo: Levy squads only go up to 50. Unless you're doing some multi-detachment stuff.

That and i'd suggest leaving one of the artillery without breacher shells for dealing more range and AoE against things like carpark lists.

I would be surprised if that tank shock tactic doesn't cause any arguments because you can interpret the rules on tank shock differently (wonderful how many times that happens in this game innit?)

Actually, let's chat about air support for a hot second.

What are our thoughts on the Thunderbolt?

It seems to compare pretty darn well at 210pts to the Primaris-Lightning. Admittedly it's slightly less customizable, but you end up with two twin lascannons, two twin auto cannons, and four kinetic piercer missiles (which are not quite the Spartan slayer Kraken missiles are, but still aren't shabby). But the biggest deal is its glorious third hull point and re-rolling reserves when your opponent has a flyer or skimmer on the board.

**Edit**

Also, now that I look at it, does the entry clarify which facings the flare shield upgrade covers? I feel like I'm missing it somewhere obvious (since the Primaris very specifically states rear and sides)

Edited by Flint13

The Flare shield on the Spartan is described as front facing, but is that a general rule for all Flare Shields?

All the entries I remember reading mention it being Front Arc.

However, the only vehicles I know which have it are:

-spartan

-triaros

-dracosan

The Ramjet Diffraction Grid which is a Flare Shielf for your butt, esentially, ive only ever seen on Aircraft and has always mentioned the Rear Armor Facing.

The Flare shield on the Spartan is described as front facing, but is that a general rule for all Flare Shields?

All the entries I remember reading mention it being Front Arc.

However, the only vehicles I know which have it are:

-spartan

-triaros

-dracosan

The Ramjet Diffraction Grid which is a Flare Shielf for your butt, esentially, ive only ever seen on Aircraft and has always mentioned the Rear Armor Facing.

This is entirely the reason the Thunderbolt's entry sounded odd. It's specifically a "Flare Shield" for Xpts while the Primaris lists a "Ram-jet diffraction grid" (which is a flare sheild for your butt).

So I guess that means that the Thunderbolt gets -1 Str to the front armor, it just feels a little weird.

Edited by Flint13

Actually, let's chat about air support for a hot second.

What are our thoughts on the Thunderbolt?

It seems to compare pretty darn well at 210pts to the Primaris-Lightning. Admittedly it's slightly less customizable, but you end up with two twin lascannons, two twin auto cannons, and four kinetic piercer missiles (which are not quite the Spartan slayer Kraken missiles are, but still aren't shabby). But the biggest deal is its glorious third hull point and re-rolling reserves when your opponent has a flyer or skimmer on the board.

**Edit**

Also, now that I look at it, does the entry clarify which facings the flare shield upgrade covers? I feel like I'm missing it somewhere obvious (since the Primaris very specifically states rear and sides)

It's on Page 182, Book V Tempest for the general rules for a Flare Shield ;)