[HH1.0] Militia and Cults tactica

disease

I'm coming a little late to the party, so I'm trying to catch up.  One of my gaming friends showed me HH5: Tempest today.  What caught my attention was:

Abhuman Helots + Survivors of the Dark Age = Abhumans with Dark Age Technology = SQUATS

The book seemed to welcome interpretations of the Militias, and I know Squats have been removed from 40k, but this is 30k, then I was excited to see this:

Not bad Flint! "Abhuman Helots" and "Survivors of the Dark Age" basically makes Grenadiers into Marines. How's this for points-efficient:

20 Grenadiers, 2 plasma guns & bolters. BS4, T4, 4+ save. Whole squad costs only 165 points! :smile.: They're only MEQs, but you can get a lot more than the Legiones Astartes can!

Despite not being fearless, these squads really shined. T4, 3+ save, and 30" range made them hard to shift. In melee they even beat a squad of reavers thanks to my lord commander being attached in the squad. Giving them discipline collars saved their bacon a few times as well. A solid unit.

I have 2 questions please:

1st, is it worth getting the Optional upgrade for Survivors of the Dark Age that gives +1 Strength to their weapons?  I would field 2 full 20-man Squat squads, each riding in a Gorgon (mine cart) as my Troops.  That Optional upgrade reflects how Squats traditionally fought Orks, thus probably modified their weaponry to deal with their Toughness, but not sure if it's worth the points (especially since the Discipline Collars also seem recommended, so we're piling on upgrades now).

2nd, what other units would help fill out the above 2 20-Squat squads with Gorgon Dedicated Transports please?  IIRC, Squats used Rapier Batteries, thus this would be my preference, but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone else considered Ogryn with the "Survivors of a Dark Age" and "Abhuman Helots" provenances?

You end up with T6, 3W and a 3+ save. Then have some heavy bolters and some power axes, addon the chosen warlord trait of -1AP on their shooting and you have a big chunky hard to kill unit that can slaughter MEQ. Just a pity about the BS2.

I'm aware it's pricey and probably not the most competitive option but it's Power Armoured Ogryns, so your argument is invalid!

If you want to really pimp out the unit, run them allied to UM or SoH and take a pair of Comms Officers to give them BS4. If SoH and Horus is around as well, IIRC, you can get them to BS5. While it's an huge investment for some AP3 shooting, it seems hilarious that Ogryn's are now BS5 pro's.

Nice idea. Sadly they can't ally as sworn brothers with marines if they have the +1T provenance. But if you leave it off there are still some fun options.

Anyone else considered Ogryn with the "Survivors of a Dark Age" and "Abhuman Helots" provenances?

You end up with T6, 3W and a 3+ save. Then have some heavy bolters and some power axes, addon the chosen warlord trait of -1AP on their shooting and you have a big chunky hard to kill unit that can slaughter MEQ. Just a pity about the BS2.

I'm aware it's pricey and probably not the most competitive option but it's Power Armoured Ogryns, so your argument is invalid!

Who cares if you win the game? That unit sounds like an absolute blast to play. You win at being a gamer.

Actually, that sounds like a perfect excuse for me to break out the WHFB Beastmen. I see a bunch of power armored Minotaur in my future (the cow men, not the Chapter ^_^ )

Edited by Flint13

Who cares if you win the game? That unit sounds like an absolute blast to play. You win at being a gamer.

Actually, that sounds like a perfect excuse for me to break out the WHFB Beastmen. I see a bunch of power armored Minotaur in my future (the cow men, not the Chapter ^_^ )

Oooooh. Minotaurs would look sweet! Make it happen. I'm looking at options for the Ogryn to get them suitably heavily armoured without completely GSing them. Leaning towards the Charonite Ogryn squad and changing the arms. Then just a few more armour plates maybe.

Any other great suggestions on a base model for a unit of 9 or 10 of these guys?

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooh. Minotaurs would look sweet! Make it happen. I'm looking at options for the Ogryn to get them suitably heavily armoured without completely GSing them. Leaning towards the Charonite Ogryn squad and changing the arms. Then just a few more armour plates maybe.

Any other great suggestions on a base model for a unit of 9 or 10 of these guys?

I've converted my ogryns from these guys:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DLPE22

I run Survivors of the Dark age and Cyber-Augmetics. I've given them a mix of power axes and power mauls.

Can't seem to find the box with the 3 Power axe guys, but here's the two power mauls and one power sword. Sorry they're not painted yet, they're waiting for me to make up my mind on a scheme!

http://i.imgur.com/RUo8ebc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CTREi66.jpg

Hot Damn they look like a special dark angel unit! Really nice!

Thanks! They definitely have that Knightly/DA feel. My Imperial Army regiment is vaguely ww2 German themed (original I know) so they fit in pretty well!

On a tactica note, how do we feel about Sentinals? 5 outflanking multi-meltas or ML could wreak some havoc, and the FA slot is essentially always open. Worth the points? They're such great looking models too

Edit: I can't spell

Edited by Liquid_O

Liquid, those Ogryns are badass, man! They're perfectly themey and really look the part. Great job.

As to the sentinels, I'm a little torn on them. They seem like such a good idea, but very unreliable. 

First, they'd have to be reserved. Without access to any reserve manipulation (that I'm aware of, please correct me if I'm wrong) like a Comms Relay, we'd be banking on that 3+ to come in. Not terrible, but I'm sure we've all had that game where we can't roll higher than a 2 for the first three tries. Too, if your opponent as any reserve manipulation going on, he's going to cause problems for you.

Two, their BS isn't that great. With multimeltas, we're hoping for a couple or three hits on side armor of a vehicle that most likely has armored ceramite. 

I don't think I'd want to put the points for five in there. Maybe three would be a better bet? Still able to get work done, but not quite the same points investment. 

So do you suppose we also get access to other superheavies from IA books etc?

There is no little blurb saying it so RAW I suppose it's just the two to choose from until more updates arrive?

Pity really. Would have liked a little more choice.

i second that, SA get all the superheavy toys

There is no little blurb saying it so RAW I suppose it's just the two to choose from until more updates arrive?

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to take superheavies from IA books. I think the little blurb about taking them is only from emails to FW, I can't find it in the SA list at least. Edited by Liquid_O

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to take superheavies from IA books. I think the little blurb about taking them is only from emails to FW, I can't find it in the SA list at least.

The little blurb is there for the legions astartes list in the LACAL book but talks only about generalised "Hors Heresy games" so I guess it could carry over. The SA list it's less important for as they get a large choice in their list anyway where we only get the two.

Stormlord would be nice for carrying Ogryns though. May just have to settle for a Gorgon.

Hmmm, what would you think about proxying (that's a word right?) a Crassus as a gorgon? I mean I like the Higgins-boat look, but I've always wanted to own a couple Crassus

As long as you run it past your opponent I'm sure it should be fine. I'm looking at similar options and planning a Baneblade chassis conversion for an enclosed look Gorgon proxy too.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back over the list again and stumbled across what looks to be a super fun anti-MEQ/TEQ choice.

You can make an 11 man enginseer/servitor unit with 3 Graviton Guns and 8 Phased Plasma Fusils.

Then choosing the right warlord trait you can give them all "-1AP" so the graviton become AP 3 and the plasma AP 2

Sure they aren't super survivable but they have some fun potential.