[HH1.0] Militia and Cults tactica

disease

Ok, that clears up a lot.

So that makes me wonder what is more practical for a flyer? AV12/11/10 or 11/12/11?

Yeah... The more I look at it the more I love the Thunderbolt over the Primaris. The single downside I can find is not having Kraken missiles or battle-servitor control. Is tank-hunter and Krakens worth loosing a hullpoint and an additional 50-ish points?

But less of a risky prospect than the Primaris-Lightning though, yeah?

The C&M list just seems to struggle so much for decent ranged anti-tank.

I've actually gotten half way decent at maneuvering my Primaris around the Deredeo's little 45 degree slice of interceptor.

It's definitely more survivable, so I'd take one ahead of the Lightning.

Flyers with 2 hullpoints are just too delicate. It's why I've overlooked the Xiphon despite how nice it looks...

Came across this:

Would suck/be awesome to be able to wipe out some Levy Squads using Tank Shock and not even having to fire off a shot. Gotta watch out for it!

This interpretation is bull. "these models must be moved out of the way by the shortest distance, leaving at least 1" between them and the vehicle whilst maintaining unit coherency and staying on the boar" They refer to this passage. Their interpretation puts the first part above all, thus the absurd example with te MC. But it can be read otherwise, such as the shortest way while keeping those other factors. This would make the crunch effect a lot more seldom.

Edited by Volth

It won't work for Sentinels, since those guys tend to stay on the move. Plus, you can almost buy another sentinel for the cost of the tech priest.

For Russes, it's okay, you can park behind them and use the split fire ability on turns you don't need to repair.

The next campaign book has a Russ and Tech Priest set coming out, so I'm expecting IG to have a few formations in this coming book that may help.

So the flier side, I think think the down side is that you take boots off the ground. That said, they seem to both be well pointed and powerful glass cannons. 

As for tech priests, they strike as me powerful when used in arvus lighters as drop pods or as fire support. They really can throw out a lot of plasma or grav. They also pack a punch in hth

BTW - It's a real bummer these guys don't get artillery tanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been toying with the idea of doing the Geno Five-Two Chiliad from Dan Abnett's "Legion", and after seeing a cool blog about someone else doing it, I'm really keen! Idea would be to use them as the Primary Detachment, as having 3 HQs is pretty important, and using Alpha Legion as my Allied Detachment (running Orbital Assault).

It makes sense fluff-wise to use "Gene-crafted" as one of my Provenances, but it doesn't really do much for a shooty army and you lose Feel No Pain. "Survivors of the Dark Age" would be awesome I think, as would "Cyber-augmetics", but I'm really stuck with what to do.

I plan on running something like the following for my Allies, possibly adding 2 more Drop Pods worth of stuff (like a Leviathan and another Tactical Squad):

Armillus Dynat: power dagger; Orbital Assault 205

9 Tactical Space Marines: Legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; melta bombs); Drop Pod. 210

Contemptor Dreadnought: dual grav claws; Dreadnought Drop Pod. 270

4 Headhunters: + 1 Headhunter Prime (artificer armour; power dagger & fist; melta bombs); Drop Pod. 245

Any advice guys and girls?

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the Brains Trust.

What's the opinions on the best int to give the improved AP from the warlord trait to?

Considering a fire support squad with Autocannons, command squad with Grenade Launchers or Ogryns with Heavy Bolters.

Essentially three squads with plenty of good AP 4 shots that will be improved into decent marine killers.

Is this everyone else's thoughts or are there better options for it?

What's the opinions on the best int to give the improved AP from the warlord trait to?

Considering a fire support squad with Autocannons, command squad with Grenade Launchers or Ogryns with Heavy Bolters.

Essentially three squads with plenty of good AP 4 shots that will be improved into decent marine killers.

Hmmm I don't think I've ever given this any thought before. I guess there's the obvious uses with the Support Squad. AP3 Heavy Bolters or Autocannons could be cool, or effectively making them Lascannons into Laser Destroyers with AP1?

Or you could give them AP3 Heavy Flamers and throw those into an Arvus shuttle.

Hmmm I don't think I've ever given this any thought before. I guess there's the obvious uses with the Support Squad. AP3 Heavy Bolters or Autocannons could be cool, or effectively making them Lascannons into Laser Destroyers with AP1?

Or you could give them AP3 Heavy Flamers and throw those into an Arvus shuttle.

Yeah I had thought about using them on Lascannons too but there is enough other ways to get vehicle killing. Even just taking some laser destroyer Rapiers. And since most games in the heresy will be against marines some AP 3 death would be pretty handy.

May have to sit and work out whether heavy bolters or Autocannons are best given they are the same cost. Leaning towards Autocannons though just for the versatility of being able to shoot at light vehicles as well as wounding on 2+. Just a pity you can only give it to one unit.

Compared to base Heavy Bolter

Autocannon = +17% chance to wound

+1 Shot hitting at BS4 = +44% chance to wound

versus MEQ, Heavy Bolters pays off. 

That said, AP2 Missiles and AP4 Frag Missiles could have a bit of fun. AP2 Plasma Fusils for some anti-TEQ, with an AP3 Graviton Gun? (IIRC)

The only problem is they're only BS3, so you'd have to ally in a cognis-signum to get any sort of accuracy. Which is weird, as the cognis-signum is in the wargear section at the start of the list. :/

A great idea from a modelling perspective is to use obscure weapons on the Fire Support Teams to represent the Warlord Trait. Then you choose what it is when list-writing!

Compared to base Heavy Bolter

Autocannon = +17% chance to wound

+1 Shot hitting at BS4 = +44% chance to wound

versus MEQ, Heavy Bolters pays off.

That said, AP2 Missiles and AP4 Frag Missiles could have a bit of fun. AP2 Plasma Fusils for some anti-TEQ, with an AP3 Graviton Gun? (IIRC)

As mentioned they are only BS3 but even so your point stands and against MEQ H Bolters are more effective.

The second point is an interesting one I hadn't considered. Engineseer with Servitors armed with Phased Plasma at AP 2 would be deadly to TEQ as well as MEQ.

Edited by Shaolin_Monkey

As the only transport available, they have their use. You can't ally in transports. In larger games (3K+) they have their use of getting your guys close, even if that does invite ordnance on your head.

As with the Spartan, they have the problem of being expensive resilient transports without many teeth, with the true strength being the payload within. The problem being that the payload within this list doesn't really have the teeth or the ability to assault after disembark to make them worth it. 

If I was to run it, it would be run with Two Twin-linked Multimelta's. BS3, but Twin-linked, and 6 Shots each adds up to a decent amount of kills and some light AV fire. 

If a Dedicated Gorgon can start the game with more than one unit inside (a houserule we use), a 20 Man Militia Squad, with a 10 Man Heavy Flamer Squad comes in at 575, and can just place down so many wounds. 

There's something to be said as well for having a Gorgon hiding your marines behind and blocking LoS. 275pts for 9 AV14 5+ Invulnerable Hit Points is a lot to chew through, even for Grav Spam and lets an assault based Marine Foot army get a Turn 3 assault without losing infantry along the way.

There's no saying you have to put your infantry within those things, but disembarking with 2 squads of 20 Rapid Firing Lasguns is going to put some wounds down and put some scoring/denial units in enemy lines.

There's something to be said as well for having a Gorgon hiding your marines behind and blocking LoS.

That's how they did it in WW2, right? Funny how things that worked in real life work in game.

With regards to 2 units in a Gorgon - your houserule seems completely fine. Pretty sure this is what FW intended anyway.

I was looking at running a (loyalist) army with the Gene Crafted (+1S) and Feral Warrior provenances (+1WS, +1I), swapping out the rifles for close combat weapons and taking the blades and fury upgrades wherever possible, making each basic bod hit at I4, with at least 3 S4 attacks apiece at WS3/4 (hitting on 4s either way...). 

The main issue with that loadout is getting them stuck in before they break and run away. I was originally thinking of purchasing the Gorgons as Dedicated Transports, and having the conscripts embark on turn 1, but with them having to wait an extra turn to assault afterwards, that's not really going to work.

Having them hide behind the Gorgon as it advances isn't such a bad idea, though - although trying to hide 100 dudes behind a couple of tanks might look a bit daft!

How are people interpreting the Platoon Standard? I can't tell if its basically making units stubborn (by ignoring casualties for morale checks) or making them basically DKoK (don't take morale tests for losing 25% casusalties)