Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

Storm cannons are awesome, don't know what you're all talkin bout. TEQs rarely stand out in the open long enough to get shot by something like a grav thingy and phosphex. Melta Lance is still great though.

Honestly, the best load out would be a cyclonic Melta Lance, drill, and phosphex. You'll never need to kill more than one unit with AP2 templates - plus you'll have ID for multi wound terminators with the CML.

The melta lance is nasty, 3 S9 melta shotshots hitting on 2s, you are turning anything to slag, AC or not. In my 2500pts list I bring the levis, one woth melta drill and the other grav claw, both with phosphex, both in drop pods, should be pretty nasty.

Really it's a very tough choice for what to take on the leviathan, bombard just wrecks any sort of infantry regardless of cover which is awesome, but on the other hand I'd often much rather go tank hunting with a leviathan, plus as slipstreams mentioned the potential to take down a knight all on it's own is just too good to pass up on for me. I'd love to see a leviathan just charge in solo and take down a knight all on his own. 

The one and only time the Storm Cannon might have some utility is if you choose not to run the Levi in a pod. It provides some alright-ish ranged firepower whilst you move up the board but honestly, if you're foot slogging in, you want to be running in the first couple of turns because 1) this thing is a combat monster, especially once you give it a claw/drill and 2) fleet gives you a better chance of making it into combat ala point #1

IMO, one combat weapon is mandatory. Two S8 HoW on the charge, armour 13. Most things will die against this. As for the ranged weaponry, my preference is the grav purely because it deletes infantry and can make a serious mess of armour too with a little luck. Armoured ceramite? Doesn't count for :cuss here. That being said though the Melta Lance has a lot to recommend it. If you run into something that isn't totting AC you're bang in the money, if not then 3 S9 AP1 shots are nothing to be taken lightly.

Really it's a very tough choice for what to take on the leviathan, bombard just wrecks any sort of infantry regardless of cover which is awesome, but on the other hand I'd often much rather go tank hunting with a leviathan, plus as slipstreams mentioned the potential to take down a knight all on it's own is just too good to pass up on for me. I'd love to see a leviathan just charge in solo and take down a knight all on his own.

Mine did a couple of weeks back :)

Glorious sight. The leviathan then chucked the carcass and it blew up killing Eidolon. Leviathan Pilot must have had a grudge against Eidolon as that was very unfriendly fire!

A glorious sight indeed, seeing a knight fall to a leviathan. 

As for the ranged weaponry, my preference is the grav purely because it deletes infantry and can make a serious mess of armour too with a little luck. Armoured ceramite? Doesn't count for :censored: here. That being said though the Melta Lance has a lot to recommend it. If you run into something that isn't totting AC you're bang in the money, if not then 3 S9 AP1 shots are nothing to be taken lightly.

Grav bombard needs more than a little luck unfortunately to do anything to vehicles. Your average roll is 9, meaning you can't really rely on the bombard to even glance a rhino, it's all just the luck of the roll. If you're going vehicle hunting, I'd much prefer to have the melta lance. Even with armored ceramite, 3 s9 shots at bs5 is pretty solid. 

I think the real struggle though with the leviathan is choosing which sort of target you want to go after. I think it's either best to stay anti infantry/MCs, with claw, grav bombard and phosphex, or melta lance and siege drill for anti armor. Mixing rolls just means you lose some effectiveness. 

But S10 is about overkill for anything multi wound you'll likely face as well :P so the claws add nothing unless facing Castellax all the time. 4 A at S10 isn't always enough either as you can flop on the dice roll and only hit once (trust me, I've been there). So making an armorbane hit where it counts is useful.

I think I'll stick with heavy framers just so I can use it in 40k also... And I think they'll be good at burning light infantry in cover.

But yeah, the Assault Cannons are a nice option for BA.

I think I'll stick with heavy framers just so I can use it in 40k also... And I think they'll be good at burning light infantry in cover.

i magnetized my nipple guns, it was pretty easy to do.

As a ba player I liked this idea to but under the dreads rules it states it can not benefit from legion rules thus I assume no assalt canons. Still ba get enough from other platforms and it doesn't really need it either Edited by Jimm