Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

I've seen the Grav Flux bombard in action, and although t's certainly powerful there are situations when it won't do damage (against a mechanised list, for example)

Ironically, the melta arm can Vape a few Termies/Marines, which is all the Grav might conceivably hit if your opponent's forces are sufficiently spaced out, or if there's a bad scatter. Also, a Typhon can do what the Grav Flux bombard does better and more safely for the same points as the Leviathan in a Pod.

It's funny, the Melta option which a lot of people found boring and/or uninspiring is the exact option which is making me consider the Leviathan. It works extremely well when drop podding in, and in conjunction with the Siege Drill cc weapon.

Edited by Ishagu

I was thinking about this last night also, at first it seemed like grav/claw and melta/drill are the clear options, but i think melta/claw is better against MCs and primarchs than grav/claw, and like Ishagu said, the actual number of deaths dealt to an infantry squad is probably pretty similar especially if you factor in a phosphex bombardment on top of that.  In addition, the melta is going to put more wounds on an MC/Primarch than the grav, although getting the hits through his retinue may be tougher, but thats where the phosphex would come in.  I think you could make the case that the melta is the clear gun choice while the claw and drill are going to be situational based on what you think you're going to be fighting, but i would maybe argue that the claw is the better all arounder.

Yeah, I figured something similar at the start also. Both the claw and the drill come with an in-built Melta so neither should be dismissed.

In an environment with lots of vehicles/knights the drill is a winner, and I'd certainly enjoy ripping a Spartan or Typhon to pieces.

On the other hand rushing in to charge a Primarch with the claw would be glorious, however it's benefit might not come into play as often, and it doesn't matter so much against single wound models or multi wound models that will be insta-killed.

Edited by Ishagu

I'm telling you guys the grav bombard is overrated :P sure it's a hell of a lot of fun, but you should be loading up on Melta to crack Spartans and such before assaulting terminators. The grav bombard is likely inefficient overkill at worst, and a lucky break at best.

^Much better chance than a lascannon or the zero chance of shatter shells or Anvilius autocannnons.

Slips said it pretty well a couple weeks back.

"Lol, armored ceramite."

"Lol, Str9AP1 aniwai."

Plus if you're shooting it, chances are you're in feasible charge range. Its going to do more than a Storm Cannon or Grav-bombard if you're shooting at a vehicle regardless. 

I don't like Grav Rapiers for the reason of them being quite clunky to play with. I'm not a big fan or resolving templates to begin with, never mind those that remain on the table after firing :-P

I don't think many people take AC at 2000-3000 points tbh. Not saying all do, but it's just expensive to take when things such as graviton cannons or Venators can kill the Spartan.

Plus you've got to consider all the Sicarans, Deredeo's, and mortis dreads that people take that the CML would be useful for as it'd be pricy to put AC on them as well.

Yeah have to agree. If I have a transport costing 300 points plus it's contents, it's getting Ceramite for 20 points

Oh also is there anyway curently that tank hunter can be given to the levi...!?

Ironwing Dark Angels!

Or be a construction truck and worry not for yer rugged work worn appearance !

Imperial fists best legion !!

Anyway back to the topic at hand

So is the concensus that the melta arm is going to be the best ranges option since it slaughtered marines pretty effectively and will work against most vehicles ?

Cause if so I'll just finish out my talon with a melta claw and a melta drill

I think the grav still has its place since it ignores cover.  if i was playing against a tau or eldar army i think grav would be the way to go.  Their vehicles are light so the melta lance is a little overkill, jet bikes can't jink away from the bombard, and stealthy tau units are equally mushed.

The issue with the grav is that it's only allowed in 30k Legion lists which aren't very competitive against Tau or Eldar.

If you're facing those armies you should really be playing 40k marines as they're a better match. The Legion lists are great but we suffer large unit taxes and force limitations.

Also, Tau and Eldar infantry generally die to heavy flamers as easily as they do to the Grav Bombard...

Edited by Ishagu