Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

Slips, I love that the hilariously named "Fury of the Ancients" (that can't possible be an accident on FWs part, can it?) rite finally allowed you to iron out those last 300pts you were using on things that weren't dreadnoughts :D

Can you run allies? Because if so, well, hello there, yes, I'd love to take some Macrotek allies with Servo arm equipped Servoautomata giving me 2+ Battlesmith rolls.

No Allied Detachment nor Fortification.

^Hesh, don't forget the haywire grenade launchers!

I assume he's talking about Mechanicum who can bring enginseer squads as troops, and they don't get those sweet grenades unfortunately. Auxilia could bring a haywire veteran unit in a demolisher transport for their HQ, and one auxilia enginseer squad with graviton guns and haywire grenade launchers. You'll need a way to get Relentless in there for optimal results, though.

Slips, I love that the hilariously named "Fury of the Ancients" (that can't possible be an accident on FWs part, can it?) rite finally allowed you to iron out those last 300pts you were using on things that weren't dreadnoughts :D

You know it! I dont need 20 meq Bodies! I need more dreadnoughts!!

So the question remains, Claw or Drill? Obviously claws mince infantry and drills do the same for armour, but if we're talking general all round? Maybe with claws still striking at S10 gives them the edge, but armourbane is so useful in a world of flare shield spartans/Achilles Alphas/armoured ceremite tanks

THE CLAWWWWWW. S10's fine for dealing with vehicles, unless you're actively chasing Knights around. The claw at least gives you a fighting chance against some of the Primarchs and various AdMech monsters.

So the question remains, Claw or Drill? Obviously claws mince infantry and drills do the same for armour, but if we're talking general all round? Maybe with claws still striking at S10 gives them the edge, but armourbane is so useful in a world of flare shield spartans/Achilles Alphas/armoured ceremite tanks

I took both, phosphex and choom. I'm a happy bunny :) ultimately it pods, dakkas and then smashes.

In the past two games I've played against Athrawes, I've found the Leviathan to be lackluster - not of his volition or lack of skill though.

In a 2000 point game, you should have adequate AT to deal with one. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've nuked them within a turn, and that's 300+ points from the Levi and pod.

What did you nuke them with and what loadout did it have?

We're planning to take x2 to our next campaign day- between the grav cannon and melta lance I expect we can pop most of their AT the turn they come down. We're up against a rapier battery, a venator, a plasma dodo, and a kheres morits. I expect two of those will get hurt not even factoring in our own AT weapons on the table.

Edited by Bulbafist

If you take one, you should have other scary stuff that is comming towards you to take some heat of him. So do I dump all my AT into this leviathan and kill him, and then I will have terminators in my face, another pie plate from Typhoon will fall on my face and anahilate another squad, tank etc...

With drop pod having 5+ cover, and dred having 4++ and 4 HP, they should really take lot of beating to be killed.

Well the drop pod's effect is null since you have a better 4++ on the Levi.

The Levi died pretty hard to las rapiers, though I imagine quad mortars would strip it down quick. It can really hurt a knight in cc, but it'll get destroyed in the process. Honestly you could just outflank it with Javelins and hurt it too.

It's only AV13 HP4, so even with a 4++, you effectively have to glance AV13 8 times, which should not be too difficult for most armies loaded for bear.  For me, getting the most out of these is concentration of power and giving the opponent too many targets.  So I'll drop the Leviathan with a pair of Contemptor Cortis buddies backing him up, or the opponent has to choose between shooting the Leviathan or trying to drop that Kharybdis hanging over his head with a Primarch and retinue.

Edited by Terminus

Unfortunately that's exactly why I'm cautious about ever running this thing.

One pen can leave it stranded all game. It certainly won't be hard to get 8 glances on it, even if it's hidden within a Pod on the turn it arrives...

Even if it gets its Grav, Phosphex and Choom (maybe even Melta gun) into a juicy target and then gets glanced to death - hopefully it's caused enough panic to thwart your enemies plans as well as protect your army from the bulk of your opponents firepower.

It's only AV13 HP4, so even with a 4++, you effectively have to glance AV13 8 times, which should not be too difficult for most armies loaded for bear. For me, getting the most out of these is concentration of power and giving the opponent too many targets. So I'll drop the Leviathan with a pair of Contemptor Cortis buddies backing him up, or the opponent has to choose between shooting the Leviathan or trying to drop that Kharybdis hanging over his head with a Primarch and retinue.

I'm a huge advocate of multi threat - but understand that that's a heavy points dip for either of those options :D I won't play paper general here but it's better to have surgical tools to kill things that kill leviathans, and then let them loose when nothing can fight it.