Also canonically power armour is water capable maybe not mkII historically but IV and forward for sure, maybe not quite to Drowned/Scions status; otherwise I appreciate a lot of the concepts. Mayhaps taking the 2+ down to 3+ and adding rules so that non Astartes (or even Astartes as well) might have access to make Aquatic combat units would be good too.

Well it's not to say that the model is dead but that he has just sunk to the bottom of the ocean where he is no use to the fight. 

Also the intent is to make it so that models aren't just swimming around and so you get a "ship to ship" combat. 

Plus with terrain as "floating" items you get isolated fierce hand to hand combats. 

Also note that the underwater rules is assuming that all models have breathing apperatuses, its just if you are trying to fight on the surface that models can sink. 

Edited by Generalripphook

Well it's not to say that the model is dead but that he has just sunk to the bottom of the ocean where he is no use to the fight. 

Also the intent is to make it so that models aren't just swimming around and so you get a "ship to ship" combat. 

Plus with terrain as "floating" items you get isolated fierce hand to hand combats. 

Also note that the underwater rules is assuming that all models have breathing apperatuses, its just if you are trying to fight on the surface that models can sink. 

if they cannot be used in the fight it is exactly the same as being dead.

Maybe have a -1 modifier to all armour instead, so power armor becomes 4+ and so shows the marine is more buissy with staying afloat than actual protecting himself

Or maybe remove them for a round and next round they habe a chance to swim to the surface again. This would show that they struggle to keep themselves up on the water but doesn't necessarily mean they die because of the ocean.

And for every round they are under water give them -1 on their ability to resurface again to show that they sink deeper and deeper.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

So I had a couple of ideas for Underwater combat too:

Water Resistance:

• When rolling to move through areas of difficult terrain roll one fewer dice than normal. Open ground counts as difficult terrain for the purposes of movement and charges.
  • Models who don't have the Move Through Cover special rule suffer -1 Initiative.
  • All ranged weapons suffer a -1 penalty to their Strength and a +1 penalty to their AP, when fired at greater than half range.

Massive Pressure:

• All weapons and attacks with a Strength of 4 or higher gain Rending unless their target has Hardened Armour, an Armour Value (AV) or has a save of 2+.  In the case of attacks against mixed units, apply these rending wounds to the more vulnerable targets first.
  • All weapons and attacks that already have the Rending special rule now rend on a roll of 5 or 6, unless their target has Hardened Armour, an Armour Value (AV) or has a save of 2+.  In the case of attacks against mixed units, apply these rending wounds to the more vulnerable targets first.
  • Weapons and attacks which have the Blast special rule also gain the Strikedown rule if they didn't have it already.
  • Whenever a vehicle suffers a Penetrating hit roll a d6, on a roll of a 5 or 6 the vehicle suffers an additional Glancing hit.

It's not as in depth as Generalripphook's, but I think some of the bits might be more achievable in full-sized game. Or we could take bits from both to form a more complete ruleset. I think some of the more complicated sections could be included as part of the Underwater combat rules as optional special rules in a similar way to those in the Zone Mortalis sections.

Actually, thinking about it. The Zone Mortalis might be the perfect match to the Underwater combat rules. Fighting over submerged ships/science stations etc.

Yeah, I feel that a ZM Variant Ruleset would be the best or at least the easiest to implement.

At minimum, it'd be ZM with Hard Void/Toxic Environment (or whatever its called) rules with additional movement, sight and combat penalties.

if they cannot be used in the fight it is exactly the same as being dead.

Maybe have a -1 modifier to all armour instead, so power armor becomes 4+ and so shows the marine is more buissy with staying afloat than actual protecting himself

That could work. But the idea is to make you not want to swim everywhere. To use transports when on the sea.

I don't wanna implement swim back up rules because then that's a LOT of extra book keeping if a model has been below for how long.

@griff- I like those underwater rules.

Edited by Generalripphook

OK, so I erroneously remembered the stuff around the Prosecution; I remembered Raktra and the others saying their piece during the Prosecution, whereas their views are simply listed ahead of "A Conspiracy Uncovered". Therefore, I'm going to suggest either that the bit with Pionus is slipped in between the last two existing paragraphs, or that we add some bits where the other Primarchs speak (particularly the Jade General, as Pionus is meant to be responding to him).

*Drill Sergeant voice* ROLL CALL!

*Legions line up*

Harbingers, I'm still waiting on a reply to that last bit of work. Stop fraternizing with the Thousand Sons, they're a bad influence on you.

Grave Stalkers, your work is done. You get a pass for Halloween, but turn the creep factor down. We're still working through the backlog of lawsuits from last year.

Iron Bears, I've no report that your missing descriptions are done. As soon as you're off medical leave, get on it.

Godslayers, here's what the XO report says, "I need some banner descriptions for all the characters, a description and quote for Koschei. It would also be nice to have some fluff sections for the Legion equipment and Koschei's wargear. In fact Koschei's pages are looking a little bit sparse due to being quite bare bones in terms of descriptive text." Plenty of work to do.

Drowned, we have your first page and need the rest of the fluff chapter. You're barred from the fort pool, until its done. Also, stop trying to sneak the Deep Ones onto the base.

DISMISSED!

Edited by simison

I've been thinking about submarine battles for a long time, and for ease, I think we should just keep Underwater Combat to being represented by Zone Mortalis using Blood in the Void. It already has rules represententing difficult environs there, presented in Book 3, updated from Book 1.

This allows us to fight within a submarine base with ease, and no too difficult results there. Only real change I'd make is that rather than Wildfire gets renamed to "Burst Seals" to represent water flooding in, and that it causes Difficult and Dangerous Terrain inside any area not sealed off (by bulkhead e.g) after that event.

After all, of the two legions who fight underwater, they've both got Move Through Cover, so having the ability to bypass that difficulty is where we can shine the most where other legions would need to struggle through or bring Recon Squads in Recon Armour. 

Squig, Redd, do either of you want help writing out the descriptions?

Hmmm - I remember writing descriptions for characters and Koschei - maybe I haven't posted them here.  I'll have a look around.  I can write the rest tonight, and while I'm at it I don't believe the Godslayers have an introductory quote yet - I'm assuming this is separate for the quote for Koschei?

Squig, Redd, do either of you want help writing out the descriptions?

Hmmm - I remember writing descriptions for characters and Koschei - maybe I haven't posted them here.  I'll have a look around.  I can write the rest tonight, and while I'm at it I don't believe the Godslayers have an introductory quote yet - I'm assuming this is separate for the quote for Koschei?

It can be, but if you simply want to write a second quote for Koschei, it's fine. Just make sure both are appropriately thematic to their respective spots.

Found them:

Koschei

[RED BOX] On the smaller end of the Primarchs, Koschei Kharkovic has never claimed to be a fighter.  While to mortals he appears a god made manifest, he pales in comparison those amongst his brothers such as Raktra Akarro or Daer’dd Niimkiikaa.  Instead, his true power comes from his mind.  As one of the most forgiving and peaceable of the Primarchs Koschei serves as a preeminent diplomat, and his 67th Expeditionary Fleet has one of the least bloody histories in the Great Crusade.  Koschei prefers often to negotiate around battle, although it would be a grave mistake to see this as weakness for, when angered, Kharkovic can become a relentless force of destruction.  Aiding the Primarch’s formidable strength is his nature as a Warp Suppressant, the strongest extant in his legion.  Likened to those possessed by Pariahs, Kharkovic’s powers are so forceful that he is able to nullify the attacks of almost any psyker entirely.  

God’s Hand:  God’s Hand is a power fist fit for a Primarch, a whirring, humming gauntlet wrought by the Emperor’s artificers.  The atomantic generators within God’s Hand are permanently overcharged, meaning that the weapon’s extreme heat allows it to melt through armoured hulls of vehicles and bone alike.  Due to this, however, God’s Hand is weighty and vastly difficult to manoeuvre in combat, requiring extra effort from the wielder.  It is a melee weapon with the following profile:

Blade of the Pariah:  The very same blade stolen from the Zbruchan High Lord Samofrakiya and used in his murder, the Blade of the Pariah has undergone decades of tinkering and modifications under the hands of the artificers of many legions.  Notable among these are the Iron Bears, who were able to fit the blade with an arcane device amplifying Koschei’s powers of warp suppression, and turning the weapon into something even more lethal when in battle with those of psychic ability.  It is a melee weapon with the following profile:

The Black Mantle:  The Black Mantle is what emerged from the forges of Terra on Koschei’s request for a new and reinforced suit of armour.  Thickly built and broad shouldered, the Black Mantle incorporates a powerful field generator amidst layered plates of ceramite, and is able to turn aside all but the most well placed strikes.  Built using a similar design to Cataphractii Terminator Armour, the Black Mantle provides the same amount of protection while not hampering the wearer’s movements, although as a consequence it requires many additional power inputs.  It provides a 2+ armour save and a 4+ invulnerable save.

Sire of the Godslayers:  The Godslayers are a Legion known for their endurance and stubborn will to fight on, no matter the consequences.  In the presence of their Primarch, the Eighth accentuate this trait to a near-foolish, suicidal level, continuing even after logic dictated they should have fled.  Koschei Kharkovic leads by example, his advanced physiology supplemented by his utter determination, allowing him to shrug off blows that would have given pause to even some of his brother Primarchs. Rules here  

Psychic Suppressant:  Koschei Kharkovic is possessed by the gift of psychic suppression more so than any other within his legion.  So concentrated is the aura the Primarch exudes that almost no psykers are able to breach it and access the Warp; only another Primarch or the Emperor himself would have a chance of overpowering the smothering influence of Koschei’s mind.  Rules here  

Quote:

My sons.  My warriors.  To me you shall be both.  In peace, the upholders of humanity’s values and virtues, the guiding light in this millennium of blood and nightmares.  In war, the indomitable liberators of the oppressed, the blood soaked Eighth, and the slayers of the gods themselves.

Extract from Koschei’s inaugural speech to his Legion.   

Karl Volkov

[RED BOX] Hailing from the same village on the eastern coast of Sdradazkia as Koschei Kharkovic himself, Karl Volkov has long been the right hand of the Primarch.  Even before reuniting with his Legion, Koschei appointed Volkov as his Regent, who was to marshal his armies during Kharkovic’s rapid rebellion.  Volkov’s Goliath Units were transferred into the Godslayers Legion (as well as their founder), serving as elite troops and often as a bodyguard for the Primarch or newly appointed First Captain.  In battle, Volkov wields the mighty Lucifer Glaive, an ancient Terran relic gifted to the Zbruchan arrivals to the Legion by the Nord Merican tribesmen that is said to glow with such heat that it is able to melt flesh.

Lucifer Glaive:  The Lucifer Glaive is an ancient Terran relic, guarded closely by the Nord-Merican ice-tribes over the centuries of the Age of Strife.  Its workings long since forgotten, the blade glows with an unnatural flame, hot enough to carve through rock.  Rumoured to have once belonged to a twisted daemon-servant of the Greatest Beast himself, it is now in the hands of Karl Volkov, who received the treasured weapon as a sign of respect from the Terran Legion Master, Prometear Thyris.  It is a melee weapon with the following profile:

Alexander Kharkovic

[RED BOX] Alexander Kharkovic, Koschei’s adopted nephew, serves as a captain within the Godslayers Legion, and as a member of the Primarch’s Council.  While the Primarch invariably favours him (as much as he tries to hide it), Alexander Kharkovic was not inducted into the Legion on merit of his connections alone.  During his time fighting with the 67th Expedition, the younger Kharkovic has evolved into a skilled fighter, surviving many a seemingly impossible scenario.  This fabled resilience has been present in the man ever since his childhood, when he lived through the collapse of a building.  It is darkly whispered among the more superstitious Terrans that Koschei is not the only being whose favour Alexander Kharkovic has earned.  Adding to his martial prowess is his considerable power as a Warp Suppressant, as well as his mind for politics.  This keen wit has been indispensable to his uncle on many occasions, with him perceiving tensions amongst the legionnaires that the idealistic Koschei had missed.

Kryl’ya: In essence a Jump Pack, Kryl’ya has been modified to include multiple additional thrusters, granting Alexander Kharkovic extreme mobility on the battlefield and allowing him to swoop down upon foes almost before they have time to react.  While the jump pack’s exact origins are long since lost, it is suspected to be an artefact acquired or stolen during the compliance of the Velocitarii.  Rules here 

Legion Quote:

Lanterns of Humanity as a nickname for your Legion has interested me, Kharkovic, ever since it first met my ears.  The lantern, guarding man from the imagined horrors of the night while resting on his bedside table.  It is a guide, and a protector, and yet, when knocked by man’s clumsy, unaware arm, it tumbles to the floor, shatters into infinitesimal pieces, and envelops his world in ghastly flame.

Mhuratagh the Mystic, of the Exodite Parliament  

Ripper Glaive

A variation on standard power weapons, Rippers are heavy glaives whose design originates from a Zbruchan mining tool.  During the Great Crusade, these weapons were found to be effective against larger xenoforms, particularly the gargantuan Mumakar encountered soon after Koschei’s reunion with his legion.  As such, they were fitted with power field generators, and soon entered widespread use.  Rules…

Kingslayer Knife

Borrowing their design and name from Koschei’s own blade, Kingslayer Knives are commonly found among Godslayers officers, and among the Obolochka Breaching Formations, for whom close quarters fighting is common.  While they are no better than a standard combat blade for slashing or parrying, they have a viciously sharp tip and are brutal stabbing weapons.  A precise enough blow from a Kingslayer Knife can carve through almost any suit of armour.  Rules… 

Zbruchan Repeater Shotgun

With the arrival of the Emperor’s Legions on Zbruch came an age of technological advancement.  The Repeater Shotgun was an early product of this advancement, far easier to produce than even a boltgun, although rarer in number.  Wanting to make a contribution to the Legion which had claimed Zbruch as its new home, Zbruchan industry produced and shipped these weapons to Godslayers vessels in large numbers, and although they were used at first out of sentimentality, at close range it was discovered that these weapons could be devastating.  Rules…

Edited by Big Bad Squig

Edited the above post to include all the extra stuff which has just been finished.  I think I've covered everything.

Excellent! I've passed it all onto Grifft, and we'll figure out if anything else is needed.