Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Lovely armies - is the alpha legion serpent on your vehicles free handed? Very impressive regardless!

Thanks mate, I wish my freehand was that good! They are just the alpha decals cut down to fit.

The Glaive is probably my single favorite FW model, and I've restrained myself from getting one until this point.  I am eagerly looking forward to your build log for the day when I have my own to tackle!

Cheers. It’s a beautiful model and a well designed kit. I hope this blog inspires you to build your own!

Don't have any excuses left not to get a Glaive soon! Cheers for doing this, mate. Excellent work. :tu:

Do it! Which legion would you go for?

Don't have any excuses left not to get a Glaive soon! Cheers for doing this, mate. Excellent work. :thumbsup:

Do it! Which legion would you go for?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/341876-1500-points-iron-hands-head-of-the-gorgon/

It's mostly definitely your fault. ;)

Evening all,

I’ve finished the next phase of the Glaive, the tracks. This phase of the build really shows the limitations of working with resin.

Step 8:

Before you start laying the track, pay attention to the piece of plastic on the side of the baneblade hull.

gallery_87021_11487_1210.jpeg

The tracks have cut away sections and are designed to sit on top of this piece of plastic. However, unless you have lined up the hull pieces perfectly, they won’t sit flat. I learned this the hard way and had to take the track section off to rectify the problem.

Simply remove the piece of plastic, this will help the tracks to sit straight.

gallery_87021_11487_574249.jpeg

Step 9:

All the pieces of track are labelled L+R 1-7. I would suggest building the top tracks (pieces 1-3) first to try and get them symmetrical before you move on to the bottom of the tank.

Lay the first piece of track labelled L/R 1, it slots under the upper hull plate. Then you need to glue this piece:

gallery_87021_11487_48155.jpeg

to the front of the hull. It will require a little bit of work to make it fit. The piece houses the front wheel (L/R 3), I would suggest you fit the front wheel (without glueing it in place) before you glue the above piece to the hull.

You will end up with this:

gallery_87021_11487_70121.jpeg

The front wheel is free to move, making it easier to get things lined up. Just line up the second track piece. When you are happy with the position glue it in place. Then move the front wheel/track into position, apply some glue to the track and when you’re sure the position is correct, apply some more glue to the axel.

gallery_87021_11487_75325.jpeg

Repeat the above process on the opposite side. Before you move onto the underside of the tank I would observe the model from the front.

gallery_87021_11487_208790.jpeg

If the front wheel isn’t quite straight, you can use a little hot water to straighten the wheel on its thin axel.

Step 10:

Turn the tank over, you need to apply the plastic bane blade wheels to the resin hull. It’s fairly obvious where they go.

Before you fit them, remove the plastic pegs.

gallery_87021_11487_210656.jpeg

Once they are in position I would also suggest you remove the pegs on the inside edge of each wheel.

gallery_87021_11487_437177.jpeg

The foremost wheels on the above picture still have the plastic pegs in place, the others have been removed. The kit is designed to work around this but I found they limit the track positioning. Which isn’t helpful.

Step 11:

Lay both track pieces 4+5. Track piece 6 may need a little work to let it sit flat (even then it will protrude a little above the rest, just take a look at the forgeworld Legion Glaive).

gallery_87021_11487_791562.jpeg

Finally, glue the rear wheel in position so it sits true with the hull.

gallery_87021_11487_398982.jpeg

I had a few issues at this stage getting the rear wheel square on with the hull.

Well, that’s the tracks done! I only glued my finger to the tank once during the process!

gallery_87021_11487_669573.jpeg

Good luck ;)

Cadmus

So, quick community poll if you don’t mind everyone. I’m busy adding all the hull detailing to the Glaive and I need to make a decision. The hull mounted twin heavy bolters can be swapped out for a twin heavy flamer. Now I have the heavy flamers left over from the leviathan kit and I’ve seen a Glaive online and it looks great with heavy flamers instead, it’s just a subtle difference but I like it! (Just google Glaive heavy flamers and you will find a beautiful IF Glaive equipped with them)

The issue I have is why, from a gaming perspective, you would ever want to swap out the heavy bolters? Neither option is likely to contribute much to the game, but the heavy bolter seems a more practical choice. Should I apply rule of cool here?

Your opinion please ladies and gentlemen!

Cadmus

I am eyeing up a glaive, think I'll have to get me some of them flamers as well.

Am I the only one saddened by the fact that we can't mount a twinlinked Culverin in the hull? Think I might do it still.

A white Scars glaive would look awesome! Do it! Culverins might be too big for the space, but the twin linked calivers from the leviathan kit would work really well ;)

Evening all,

I’m up to the hull detailing and turret work with the Glaive. First up the hull. There’s no point in offering up a step by step guide here, it’s fairly straight forward.

But there are a couple of small things to be aware of.

1 - the rear track guard should be placed with the rivets facing out.

gallery_87021_11487_52761.jpeg

2 - there is a slight flaw in the design of the barrels. The injection mould will be on the top of the barrel, therefore clearly visible. Mine were really poorly cast, I just removed the feet and turned it around.

gallery_87021_11487_19546.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_42993.jpeg

This way the mould line is no as visible.

3 - there are three different sized plates that join the top plate to the sponson armour. Make sure you get them the right way round! This is my second attempt:

gallery_87021_11487_532613.jpeg

There you have it!

gallery_87021_11487_18921.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_655821.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_26136.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_67637.jpeg

The hull is complete, I’ll add the turret pics tomorrow and then it’s just the sponsons!

Cadmus

Evening all,

So the turret is done, it needed a lot more work than I originally thought. It’s an obvious build, in terms of pieces, but I ran into a few issues:

1 - The first thing I struggled to fathom was whether the Carronade was meant to move. The Carronade sits in the turret and can, if you want it to, move up and down. But the top plate prevents any movement when glued in place...

Also, if the Carronade isn’t glued in position, gravity means the gun will not fall level with the hull of the tank. My advice, glue it!

2 - The next issue was that of the turret sitting level on the hull, both the left and right sides sit slightly proud of the hull creating large gap. It needed a lot of sanding.

3 - the main issue for me was turret clearance. The Carronade hits the front hull sensor (the one above the hatch) as it rotates left.

To solve this I placed a small piece of plasticard under the Carronade before gluing the gun in position.

Secondly, I filed the base of the Carronade and the first coil.

gallery_87021_11487_39105.jpeg

The coil was then partially rebuilt with green stuff.

gallery_87021_11487_284347.jpeg

The sensor was also filed down as much as possible without losing detail. Now you can (just about) see the turret clearing the hull sensor.

gallery_87021_11487_200589.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_183661.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_353705.jpeg

Almost there guys! Is it worth adding a quick sponson tutorial?

C&C welcome!

Cadmus

Happy to see progress on that beast!

It's also very awesome you posted those pictures with tips. There have been a fair few times where I would be building something, hit a wall, and struggle to look up how someone else did it. 

And for some reason I want a glaive too...

Fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to do this! A sponson tutorial would be great if you've got the time. :tu:

No problem mate, sponson tutorial coming up!

Awesome tutorial on building a Glaive, and really nice work on your Alphas and Iron Hands

Thanks for stopping by Dantay, and thanks for the encouragement! Can’t wait to get some paint on the Glaive.

Happy to see progress on that beast!

It's also very awesome you posted those pictures with tips. There have been a fair few times where I would be building something, hit a wall, and struggle to look up how someone else did it. 

And for some reason I want a glaive too...

Cheers mate, hope someone finds it useful! Have you made any progress with your alphas recently?