Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Vykes: And there I was, thinking you were an Aussie! Cor, I got Alpharius'd! :laugh.:

-laughs- It's miserable outside so we learn to be passive about stuff, drink a fair bit, get ribbed about having funny accents, drink a fair bit more, complain, and are still part of the commonwealth while being descended from the less ideal populations of Europe by English (IE, pre-UK) standards.  We're Australia: Frozen Edition :P  

I definitely think Pearson's got the right of it, a whole force (maybe a Recon ish/seeker rite) force led by a dedicated commander would be cool.  Kinda an Effrit stealth force. 

Hey dude, you did an awesome job. Better than I did and it's a fantastic read. It's definitely an engaging way to keep up and relate it to experiences (man, reading all mechanical die rolling tournament shorthand is just... ugh, can't do it.) The lighting at Warhammer World seems pretty stellar, too. 

Hmm, yeah that might be a bit of luck but man that'll keep you on your toes. Everyone runs away from Horus, Angron, Fulgrim and the likes, but running from Lord Alfy is kinda hard -laughs-. It's definitely runnin' the risk but it's a gamble, and when you're playing with primarchs, it's about cinema and gambles right? Man, Preferred Enemy is a killer, and against an enemy like custodes where every wound hurts that makes it a great way to force stuff through and really make it hit home. It's gutsy, but great!

I can't wait to see more, mate. Looks right fantastic, and you may have right sold me on some allies/kill team from the XXth.  I do think that the all black is a pretty striking colour that just works, in the right light they can pass for blackshields and then when hit dead on, you see their true colours.  It's pretty striking. 

Me, I'm in the lost land of few people and tons of snow: about an hour north-west of Edmonton Alberta, Canada. IE, English speaking Siberia :P

Lol, well that scuppers any idea of meeting up with you for a game!

Yes the idea is to have 1500-2000pts, Effrit stealth force would be the narrative basis. The force will be based on the recon company RoW using scouts as my recon squads (heavily converted of course with alternative heads!). Using Skorr or Alpharius (at 2000pts) gets pretty nasty with all the sieze the initiative benefits.

I’ve always wanted to convert some scouts up for 30k (i generally love the challenge of making terrible models look better, see first page of the blog!). For a while I struggled to justify using scout armour, as the XXth can all have base infiltrate/scout/move through cover. However, I figured it will give me a higher level of tactical flexibility, if I don’t choose infiltrate as my mutable tactic, the recon teams can still infiltrate. They also have move through cover and scout, so it works with the other mutable tactics too. Put a sergeant with artificer armour in the squad and you have durability (plus first turn shrouded thanks to the RoW), kit the squads with melta bombs and you can’t ignore them.

Anyway, I’ll post my next project shortly.....

Cadmus

Evening folks,

Finally finished my armoured proteus:

gallery_87021_11487_1349592.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1233998.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_140159.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1035728.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_809773.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_425345.jpeg

This chap will form part of my XXth legion recon company, as a dedicated transport for the seeker team this tank can infiltrate. With the recon company RoW that also grants the tank shrouded in the first game turn. Brutal!

The antennae are magnatised, making transporting this tank a little easier!

Cadmus

Sha-weeeet, Cadmus Tyro my dude.  That's the way to make those armoured up Proteus' shine and it looks great (Grr, you're tempting me to snag a 4th for that triple twin las cannon option). The additional coms equipment looks great, easily works for a stand in as a command vehicle or using the augury web!  Seriously superb. An yeah, good choice on magging out the antennas, otherwise it seems to want to spite humanity and find ways to catch and snap.  Ugh. Bit of a proteus related question, how are you finding the fit for the las cannon sponsons?  Mine keep wanting to catch and scrape the paint off.  

Heh, Quixus, it's still the same as a normal raider unless you toss the augury web in, then it becomes a mega-razorback. Seriously awesome for the XXth in perspective.  

Aye Cadmus it does kiiinda suck being caught up here in the land of ice and snow.  Maaaybe one day I'll make a pilgrimage back across the pond, to the place from whence the progenitors came nearly four centuries ago... then take the chunnel over to the island. 

But aye, I think the Effret would be right cool to see.  But scouts, maybe with the more fighty shotgunny option might be fun for armoured bodies and then sniper rifles for the cloaked light scouts?  They're... not the greatest models, you're more than right there.  I think it's a pretty solid option and having shotguns and sniper options is a pretty fun and relatively rare set of options there that helps with the flexibility and frankly I think you can knock the look out of the park, mate!    

Edited by Vykes

Heh, Quixus, it's still the same as a normal raider unless you toss the augury web in, then it becomes a mega-razorback. Seriously awesome for the XXth in perspective.  

Yeah I looked it up, unfortunately the hull-mounted lascannons are 30k only.

Edited by Quixus

Yeah I looked it up, unfortunately the hull-mounted lascannons are 30k only.

H'oh, man you're right there for the loyalists.  But I swore I saw the option and man, weirdly, the FW loyalist index doesn't get the option (but gets some nice pintle mounts and the augury web is better than cursed phylactery) but the FW traitors Proteus does along with twin heavy flamers.  

Edited by Vykes

Thanks for the comments and likes chaps, the hull lascannons have been an upgrade option since the updated legion army list, and no, it doesn’t lose any transport capacity. It can also take a hunterkiller missile plus a pintle multimelta....

The kit comes with stock heavy bolters so they had to be cut away and replaced with a spare pair of lascannons. The main issue with the proteus kit was the infamous tracks. But, with a few small adjustments (ie slight shortening of each section) and lots of dry fitting it went together well. I gave up on the doors though! Interesting point is that the armoured proteus has rhino sized doors on the sponsons!

@Vykes - the sponsons required a fair amount of work, it was a clearly tight fit against the hull, so I trimmed the relevant sections on the hull and filed the edges of each sponsons mount. Finally, it also tends to catch on the inner 45degree line on the round sponson mount. Trimming that with a sharp knife really helped the fit.

Cadmus

Afternoon,

Work progresses on the landraider, I’ll post some pics up fairly soon! My thermal scopes from anvil arrived the other day, with a few adjustments to the phobos bolter and the scope they seem to work:

gallery_87021_11487_114738.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_361623.jpeg

What do you think?

There’s few more to build to make a company!

Cadmus

looking great. The suppressors look a tad too long and too slkender IMHO, but I guess the next larger tube would be too big. Are those 40K scouts or 30K recon marines? if the former I don't think they are allowed to have combat blades.

Thanks Quixus. They will be recon marines, the combat blades are mainly there form show TBH, I needed something to balance the model aesthetically speaking. I was contemplating shortening the suppressor. Perhaps shortening the inner tube so that the thicker part of the suppressor is closer to the casing. That might give it more of a “front heavy”, pehaps simialr to a P90. I’ll try it on the next dude and make a decision!

Cadmus

-whistles a bit- niiiiice dude, very nice.  Yeah honestly those knock the scouts out of the park for me.  The change in rifles with the better fitting Phobus pattern is terrific, as is that head choice (perfect, seriously wicked there). I personally like the long barrel suppressors, but seeing a shortened version would be pretty great too, especially following the P90 look.  

Seriously nice work, mate!  Gah, you might be dragging me into trying to make some SoH recon armoured troopers. 

Thanks chaps!

Well, snapped a few shots of the proteus, it’s very WIP, but the black/blue metallic is done on the armour plates:

gallery_87021_11487_1412469.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_944632.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_974566.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1034.jpeg

The plan is to paint the metals in leadbelcher, to pick out the details more!

What do you reckon?

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments all!

Real life’s been a drain on my hobby time recently, hoping to get a game in this week though!

The proteus is still on the work bench, but I did have a bit of time to revise the silencer length for my recon dudes:

gallery_87021_11487_417166.jpeg

I think it looks better, any thoughts?

Cadmus

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Just a quick WIP post to prove I’m still alive! I’ve been working on my recon teams and grav rapiers, they are 90% finished, just a few capes to model and then they’re done. I’m thinking about pledging them to the “loyalty and treachery” event.....

For now, I’m finishing off the proteus, just needs some weathering, lens details and the tracks I’ve left until last (because I hold the tank by the tracks whilst painting and it just rubs the paint off!)

gallery_87021_11487_2037155.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_702743.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_569423.jpeg

Almost there! What do you reckon so far?

Cadmus