[WIP] Captains heresy log: new wb herald wip p4

captainblow

Looks incredible! We should play a game sometime if you feel up to that (And if this force ever gets to a gameable point level ofcourse :P )

Thanks man!

I'd love to get a game in at some point, might take a while at the rate I'm painting though haha.

I absolutely love the red of the mechanicum robes, and the way you did the metallic blacks with the colours tinting them.

The Word Bearer is cool too, but I cannot see anything wrong with the first banner...

First off my march of the legions Bloodangel, which I haven't posted in here yet:

25016803559_d53198412d_z.jpg

Also a wip of the leviathan I'm doing for the Word Bearers:

25497954372_6709aeebf9_z.jpg

24986087254_c44ed994ed_z.jpg

Arms etc are blu tacced on for now, but nearly ready for paint.

Thanks guys!

golly!!!! When you painting that awesome Giant? And that blood angel is so crisp and nice.

I've vowed to paint it before the month is over, so I hope I' ll be able to finish him and a tac squad before then :) Curious to see how the metallic scheme works out on something bigger than a marine.

That angel is awesome, how did you do that halo?

The halo is (part of) a transfer from the 40k blood angels transfersheet.

I'm hugely impressed with your skills at making transfers look so authentic!

I use lahmian medium over mine to dull down the shine but yours look hand painted. What's your secret? :)

Saa....

......or something like that

I use lahmian medium over mine to dull down the shine but yours look hand painted. What's your secret? :)

Saa....

Thanks man, here goes:

- Gloss varnish the area.

- Cut out the transfer, dip it in water.

- Apply some micro set to the area.

- Position transfer, once in position use a lightly moist piece of paper towel to soak up the water and micro set.

- Apply micro sol to the edges or any areas that arent flat.

- Wait for the micro sol to dry, and reapply, and again.. And again. (Being patient here helps a lot.)

- Once the edge is (nearly) invisible apply gloss varnish over the transfer.

Now you can continue weathering the model. If the transfer is on a curve you can airbrush on some light shadow etc, on the BA I painted a little higlight on the halo, to have it match the rest of the gold a bit more.

- Once that stuff is done I use satin/ matt varnish on the entire model.

Hope this helps.

Saa....

Thanks man, here goes:

- Gloss varnish the area.

- Cut out the transfer, dip it in water.

- Apply some micro set to the area.

- Position transfer, once in position use a lightly moist piece of paper towel to soak up the water and micro set.

- Apply micro sol to the edges or any areas that arent flat.

- Wait for the micro sol to dry, and reapply, and again.. And again. (Being patient here helps a lot.)

- Once the edge is (nearly) invisible apply gloss varnish over the transfer.

Now you can continue weathering the model. If the transfer is on a curve you can airbrush on some light shadow etc, on the BA I painted a little higlight on the halo, to have it match the rest of the gold a bit more.

- Once that stuff is done I use satin/ matt varnish on the entire model.

Hope this helps.

Patience is something I have in spades. Waiting for many coats of Tamiya Clear Red to dry on my metallic Word Bearers has bred that into me. I swear I spend more time cleaning my airbrush than using it!

Thanks for the tip. I'm working on a Mhara Gal as we speak and really wanted to use some of the script work transfers supplied in B@C on him so I'll go straight in and use him as a test subject with this method.

Thank you.

Saa.......

........or something like that

Edit - an afterthought. Your step one of gloss varnish to the area before application. Am I correct in assuming that you're doing that to have the entire area having the same sheen as the transfer area. So when you're bringing 'down' again you can work on the entire piece as opposed to just the transfer itself?

The gloss varnish is mostly so the transfer has a smooth surface to go on (no airbubbles that way, and no silvering), and to protect the paint beneath from the micro sol.

Edit: after doing the transfers sometimes I varnish the entire model with gloss, before applying oil washes for example.

you got certain inspiration from someone msn-wink.gif

Oh yes I did!

From poom's leviathan in the b@c ideas thread:

This is my B@C Contemptor biggrin.png

That is awesome; any chance we can see the whole thing for scale purposes?
Here you go:

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/PoomW/Leviathan%200102.jpg

smile.png

Oh man, I might just have to shamelessly steal that pose for my leviathan, including the wrecked contemptor.

Pure awesome.

I did say I was going to steal it haha. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and all that smile.png

Made some progress this weekend:

10 man tactical squad all done up to this point:

25668342381_284bf50112_z.jpg

Leviathan got some paint as well:

25642461732_5281c4c74f_z.jpg

25642458212_398fa0eac1_z.jpg

Hes a big boy.

I tried something with the bolters, this was a quick and dirty version of the flames you see on some of the WB bolters in the HH books.

25763411585_282289c441_z.jpg

Was thinking of trying them in a single metallic colour, or redoing these, as I'm not happy with them irl.

Flames yay or nay?

To get the drill arm in that pose, did you have to modify the power cables? I am working on a leviathan myself and am finding that they really limit the posing on the claw arm.

I magnetized both arms and decided to drop the cables as the ranged weapons don't come with them anyhow. I shaved the cable insert thing on the drill forearm, and used both the grav cannon shoulder "plates" which have no cable feeds in them.

No idea how far the cables could have gone with some bending, sorry man.

ah gotcha.  I magnatized my levi also but not the CC arm.  I plan on running two, one with the drill and one with the claw so thats why i didnt magnatize that one arm.  Makes sense to get rid of it though for posing.  You'd have to put in some pretty good effort with bending to get differnet looks out of that arm.

Thanks dudes, I guess flames on the bolters it is!

Todays progress, blocking in all the black stuff on the tacticals:

25698616021_1f582fe611_z.jpg

25163217214_aebba0aea4_z.jpg

I thought I'd be clever, and use a gold coloured oil wash to fill in the inscribed details on the fw upgrade heads, mostly just made a mess. Something to think about though.

The red is nice, and nothing a drybrush will not cure with the gold oils.

Next time do the gold first, then seal with liquid sealant stuff (vallejo) and do the reds etc

Peel off the sealant and jobs a good 'un (in theory)

Archived