HQ's:

Logan - 250pts

Ragnar - 195pts

Ulrik - 145pts

Njal in RA - 180pts

Njal in TDA - 180pts

Wolf Priest in RA with Jump Pack and Plasma Pistol - 160pts

Iron Priest with tempest hammer and digital weapons - 90pts

Rune Priest in RA with runic stave, psychic hood and mastery lvl 2 (represented by psyber raven) - 120pts

Rune Priest in RA with runic stave, psychic hood and mastery lvl 2 (represented by psyber raven) - 120pts

Elites:

5 Scouts with 2 Plasma Pistols - 100pts

5 Scouts with 2 Plasma Pistols - 100pts

5 Wolf Guard all with Jump Packs and TH/SS - 330pts

5 Wolf Guard all with Jump Packs and pair WC's - 260pts

Troops:

Lukas - 80pts

Fast Attack:

Heavies:

Needing to work out what I already have pads for so I don't end up trying to pledge stuff I'm missing pads for.

Built Awaiting Undercoat:

HQ's:

Wolf Priest in TDA - 140pts

Rune Priest in TDA with psychic hood and storm bolter - 100pts

Rune Priest in TDA with psychic hood and storm bolter - 100pts

Skyclaws:

4 Skyclaws (2 flamers and power sword) plus Wolf Guard with a pair of wolf claws - 140pts

4 Skyclaws (2 flamers and power sword) plus Wolf Guard with a pair of wolf claws - 140pts

4 Skyclaws (2 plasma pistols and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with storm shield and frost sword - 175pts

4 Skyclaws (2 plasma pistols and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with frost sword and bolt pistol - 160pts

4 Skyclaws (2 meltaguns and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with thunder hammer and storm shield - 175pts

Bloodclaws:

4 Bloodclaws (flamer, plasma pistol and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with a pair of wolf claws - 145pts

4 Bloodclaws (flamer, plasma pistol and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with a frost sword and plasma pistol - 150pts

4 Bloodclaws (flamer, plasma pistol and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with a frost sword and bolt pistol - 135pts

4 Bloodclaws (flamer, plasma pistol and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with frost axe and bolt pistol - 135pts

4 Bloodclaws (flamer, plasma pistol and power fist) plus Wolf Guard with thunder hammer and storm bolter - 140pts

Wolf Guard:

5 Wolf Guard with 5 combi plasma and a power sword - 155pts

5 Wolf Guard with 5 combi melta and a power sword - 155pts

Going though my bits I've ended up with the following to assemble. Lol ... Just not tonight.

To Build:

10 Wolf Guard in TDA all with a pair of wolf claws each plus 2 Cyclone missile launchers - 530pts

Arjac plus 4 Wolf Guard in TDA all with thunder hammers and stormshields - 307pts

The next four pack of TDA will have either (2 power fists, 2 chain fists and a wolfs claw) or 3 power fists and 2 chain fists). Both options come out at the same points. If I can find enough plasma pistols I might risk chopping up some of the storm bolters to make combi-plas. Depends on available time and if I get everything else built quick enough.

5 Wolf Guard in TDA with an assault cannon - 245pts

5 Wolf Guard in TDA with a heavy flamer - 235pts

I've also added a Wolf Priest in TDA and a Rune Priest in TDA to the list of built models awaiting an undercoat.

Looking at what's already built if I can't blast through everything I can pull the Wolf Guard out of the units and paint them up as Wolf Guard Packs which will maximise the points:model ratio. Everything will have a black primer layer and then a solid basecoat of grey (except the Wolf Priests) before the end of the month so I'll be ready to hit the ground running straight away. The plan is to do the old batch painting method on mass. I think I'll be needing to invest in a few of those big new pots of washes to help with this lot. ;)

I'm also finding myself running low on certain pads already so I'll have to drag out the instant mould and have a night stamping different shapes onto blank pads. The main challenge I reckon will be the TDA pads as I now need enough for 35 TDA Wolf Guard and probably have enough for 10 currently. I'm working towards being able to run them as possibly any of the following Firehowlers/Ironwolves/Drakeslayers/Blackmanes/Champions of Fenris.

I'm not sure if I'll end up raiding the B@C boxes I have or if they'll end up being reserved for 30k instead.

Hmmm ... I got a little overly enthusiastic with a saw trying to convert a metal Iron Priest to have one of those new fangled pistols. End result is I'm down by an Iron Priest for the time being. In the long run it's doable but not for this ETL. I did however come across another Iron Priest, well the Techpriest will be post hammer and pistol swap. ;)

I've also been messing around with the pads on the other TDA Rune Priest. Managed to trim off the top of a SW pad and glue it to the top of his metal pad. I've decided that the characters in TDA will have pads which have the high rims and the rest will have normal shaped pads. I've managed to knock up a mould for them so no stressing about not being able to source them. :p

Stroke of genius regarding the primer. I have a large bottle of white primer I've never used. I also have a fair amount of black primer. Wonder how much black will be needed to make a dark grey primer? :D

Going to mix them together and see what I come up with. If I can get things primed in grey it will be much better than black only to then have to go over again in grey. Need to retain some black for things like the wolf priests and the psyber ravens. :tu:

That black primer has much more pigment in it in comparison to the white primer. I was expecting a 2:3 ratio bit it's more like 1:4. Made sure the white was well mixed before starting so it not as if the pigment had settled out of the white.

Will get some models sprayed with it tonight. ;)

I'm looking forward to a sea of grey models!!!

Started to try reassembling Long Fangs. I've got a bunch of the plastic plasma cannons which were on metal SW bodies. However they looked naff as the heads were all facing forwards rather than where the gun is directed. So I've rummaged the bits box and located some mkIII bodies and legs. They're missing the back packs so it seemed they were meant to be. The pads don't match the armour mark but I think they'll be ok once assembled.

Only issue I'm coming across is the chests don't seem to be wide enough to fit the gun correctly. I had the same issue with them on the metal bodies (hence them popping off when dropped). Lol ... Is there an actual SM chest that does fit them?

I've been squirrelling away the old metal over the shoulder heavy weapons for 30k. But may just use them up in this force instead. Hmmm ... It may take a few ETL's to do this lot. ;)

A few ETL's is good wit us.

As far as torso's, no, because it was a standard tac sprue in the older kits. I would suggest pinning through the body (go right through the torso & pin both arms, then use green stuff (other putties are available) to make the flexi joint at the shoulder under the armour.

Mark 3's will look cool for Long Fangs, as they are the veterans of the pack :smile.:

Besides in 40K a lot of armour was mixed where warriors were awarded special antique parts for achievements etc... and in 30K the Wolves got proper bloodied at Prospero and Alaaxes, so they put stuff together from what they had, so could be proto-mark 5

I've ended up adding a shimmy of plasticard to the joints so it sits a bit better. 0.75 mm thick to either side seemed to do the job ok.

I do have some of the old metal underslung plasma cannons which were staying in the bits box. But now I may end up trying to use them. The heavy weapons from 2 full units of long fangs equates nicely to a 30k heavy support squad or whatever they're called.

The assembly space was nicely organised but I've now got a right mess of random bits all over the place.

Lol ... I think it may be time to have a bit of a tidy up. ;)

Ok ... I've ended up with an extra box of TDA. Just spent 2 hours dredging g the bits boxes and have the arms for ...

16 pairs of wolf claws

10 thunder hammers and storm shields

3 storm bolter and power sword

6 storm bolter and chain fist

13 storm bolter and power fist

2 ass cannon and power fist

1 ass cannon and wolf claw

2 ass cannon and chain fist

2 heavy flamer and power fist

1 heavy flamer and chain fist

1 storm bolter and frost sword (chain bladed sword)

1 frost axe and storm bolter

1 wolf claw and power fist

1 frost axe and storm shield

There's also 3 CML's to add to the mix, probably on the back of a WG with a pair of wolfs claws.

That's 60 TDA which if I raid the vanilla marines I should have enough bodies for. I'm likely to convert up say 10 of the storm bolters into combi-plas and use 5 for wolf lords of various weapon load outs.

This little lot will be in my bag to go to work with me for clean up. I've also successfully cast up my first crux pad without bubbles so that side of things will now be sorted as well. :D

Don't take this the wrong way SW1 but god it's nice to see someone else with a lot of plastic crack laying around unassembled.

Lol ... It's not even my biggest pile of models waiting to be done. I've got a guard army mainly in metal which outnumbers the SW's atleast 2:1 plus 60 Ogryns I've just sourced the bodies for. Lol ... A bit like I've just sourced the arms for my TDA. Then there's a Marine Crusade Army which is just as big as the SW's. Not to mention the WHFB pile of stuff which is much bigger than the 40k pile.

Don't take this the wrong  way SW1 but god it's nice to see someone else with a lot of plastic crack laying around unassembled.

I don't know how you guys stare at unassembled plastic...there have seriously been times where if I don't want to assemble it I'll take it back for a refund instead. I hate looking at boxes. Naked plastic however I'm ok with lol

Don't take this the wrong way SW1 but god it's nice to see someone else with a lot of plastic crack laying around unassembled.

I don't know how you guys stare at unassembled plastic...there have seriously been times where if I don't want to assemble it I'll take it back for a refund instead. I hate looking at boxes. Naked plastic however I'm ok with lol

To put it into context a lot is naked metal not plastic. Some of it's been stripped a few times some never got painted. So there's a fair bit of age to the collection. Some (the WHFB stuff) is over 30 years old.

Lol ... One reason for the mad rush to assemble is I'm now fed up with the piles of unassembled models.

Now the next question is how many storm bolters do I try converting into combi-plas?

Depends, are you running them with Ulrik, to reroll those annoying 1's?

Most folks go with combi-meltas, as the melta is an assault weapon, you can charge in after using it. Plasma is not assault, so once you are done shooting you cannot hit what survived getting crisped.

Hot damn, you have a lot of models.

I'd suggest rather than build a small mountain of models, just build those you realistically think you can do for the ETL. Otherwise I fear that you will start to struggle and get discouraged viewing that whole swathe of plastic.

Either that or build them all, but box up those you are not going to vow (just yet) and bring them out in sections. I used to have desks covered in unpainted models and it often put me off painting staring at them all.

Oh how did the mixing of primers go?

Lol ... Don't worry about burn out. These are getting assembled and then cherry picked for best reward to effort ratio. I'll be happy with whatever I end up painting. There's space cleared for the assembled/undercoated models to be stored ready to be pulled out as and when they can be painted. I'll have a clear desk to paint at rather than have a sea of models looking at me. :tu:

I made a decision that this is the year I start making inroads to the backlog. This ETL is the starting point only and it's going to take quite a while (a few years) to get to the finish.

With the mixing of the primers I think I need to make it a bit darker. It's ended up drying lighter than I thought it would be.

Time management wise I'll be working over the next couple of days so other than cleaning parts up at breaks/lunch and if it's quiet I may be able to get extra clean up done.

Urgh ... I'm going through drill bits at a stupid rate trying to drill feet to accept wire so I can mount them for painting and easy attaching to bases post painting. Really don't want to be damaging a paint job trying to drill them after. Most of the models in my collection are metal and it seems this one part of prep which I've overlooked on the stuff already assembled (they're mainly sat on slota bases currently) and primed.

Not sure if anyone else has this problem or if it's just one of the joys of old metal models?

I'm also raiding the bitz boxes for anything that can be used to SW up the vanilla TDA suits. I don't think the odd suit unaltered will visually stand out, but half of them will do!

I've found the little wolf skull with the hanging loop removed and the back trimmed seems to sit on the chest turning a winged skull into a winged wolf skull. The bits that you glue to the top of SW TDA suits work and the trinkets that are on chains hopefully will sit on the belt buckle or replace the skull. Really looking for simple quick fixes that are just nudges in the right direction rather than over the top stuff.

Re-evaluating the time it's taking to do this altering and it may be better to sideline these for the next ETL? Really was getting into the idea of getting all my TDA done and being happy with whatever the points value they come up to.

So the question is what do I prioritise?

- Do I scrub trying to prep all these TDA and go back to the stuff already assembled and drill feet?

- Or concentrate on the TDA making sure they have all been drilled and mounted on wires?

- Or forget about basing and leave everything on slota bases?

Lol ... What a stupid dilemma!!!

Leave them on the slotta bases. You can always mount the slotta bases on top of the 40mm bases, and this brings them to around the same height as the more modern plastics.

A little Greenstuff to build up the slope and then PVA glue plus basing materials and you are sorted.

PS if you have a bunch of old paint pots and the like, glue or blu-tac the bases to these to give you something to grip without touching the models I glued but had enough base over the lip I could prise the model off with minimal hassle. I used el cheapo superglue

20150323 000512

Dantay I wish it was that simple. They're all going on resin bases so leaving the metal tabs on is a none starter.

I'll just have to work out what I want to pledge first, ensure they have tabs removed and pins firmly fixed to the sole of their feet. Then move forward from there. Lol ... I was trying to put that decision off which might actually explain my frantic work on assembly. I'll have that list by ASAP.

This might sound like a stupid idea,

Why not leave the tabs on the bottom  nd if you have enough lengths of rod or sprue, superglue the models via the tabs to the sprue /rod.

You nan then snip them off the tabs when done and then glue them to the resin bases

As they're metal models they need pinning to the bases. I'm concerned about damaging the models post painting if I do the pinning then.

Nothing to worry about. Just worked out if I'm doing a first pledge of 1500 points it's 8 models. If I do a 3000 points first pledge it'll be around 20 models. Just working on what exactly I'm doing pledge wise. ;)

Archived