SW1's Wolves

SW1

I'll have a dig through BCK's thread as he did a review. I would not have thought to use the milliputt otherwise.

I think he uses it more for armour plates.

Couldn't find te review he did of te GS/Milliputt mixture, but here is what he said about pro-create.

I am tempted to pick it up because if its flexibility it would be good for doing fur cloaks and then bending it around a model.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/278032-bcks-thrread-of-stuff-rise-of-the-machines/page-82

Take a look through this thread as his sculpt work is amazing.. Just not too much looking, I need you back for the ETL ;)

Worked out what was up. I was messing around for too long with some of them re-working again and again. I'd mixed up too much at once so the gs was probably past it's working point for applying to the models when I did them.

Need to learn to mix less and not stress about wastage. :D

I've managed to redo all the not secure ones and this time around it didn't take as long as. :tu:

Argh ... I properly broke the airbrush this time trying to clean it. Just looked at prices for a new one and don't think I'll be getting one before the end of the ETL. I need to get a decent one rather than the 2 cheap ones I've already broken. :(

On the bright side I've undercoated all of my first vow so that won't be delayed starting.

Lol ... Guess I'll just have to revert back to hairy brushes. Anyone know if airbrush paint is ok to use with normal brushes? Does it knacker kol sable brushes up?

Oh no, that is not good.... Where did you look?

Also what part is broken? I got a really cheap foxhunter compressor/ airbrush set off ebay. Seems to work well, but there is a fair amount of play of play on the dual action system.

I can't imagine why airbrush paint would wreck brushes, it is just thinned down paint. Certainly with the gw stuff, infact I like it better because it cuts down on diluting my paints :D

The bit that the needle pokes out of sheared again. I'm being extra careful just using hands and not the spanner that's included to tighten up. I think it may be the reamer I was using to clean the inside being a harder metal and while cleaning out the bit of paint buildup I've worn away a little of the inside weakening it.

They were both cheap ones that came with the compressor/tank system so replacement parts are not available. Think I need to invest in a decent one so looking at +£100 (then if the same bit breaks I can get a replacement part easily) and an ultrasonic cleaner (so no more breaking while cleaning). Priorities over the next couple of months is saving up for holidays and 10 year wedding anniversary. So not dropping anymore funds into airbrushing now.

However I did manage to paint 700+ models by hand one year so I just need to get my brush foo back up and running. I'm still aiming to go big!!!

The concern over airbrush paints is that you'd normally use airbrush thinner with it. That stuff seriously knackers up natural hair brushes. So the concern was I use my Kolinsky Sable brushes with the paint and they mess up as well.

Ah, I didn't know that about the air paints.

Hope you got strong wrists for all the drybrushing you will need to do :D

I use Sakura brushes and whatever the local at store has.

The things you learn

Before heading out to work I checked on last nights efforts. Very happy with what I managed last night.

Black Armour

Well the black armour has been over brushes with German Grey. This has had 2 heavy washes of nuln oil.

Need to pick out the silver metals and then do a 3rd wash.

Grey Armour

The grey armour has been slapped with a solid layer of German Grey. All has had a heavy drybrush with dawnstone. Started picking out the silver metals on some and tried washing with nuln oil. Really like how it comes out so cracking on with that.

Tonight was meant to be a catch up on sleep night. But there's more washes required before I can get at the detailing. So I'd like to get all the silver metals blocked out and wash everything that needs it. Then tomorrow I can start picking out details.

Though I do need to remember to sort out the birds. Thinking black and heavy drybrush of German Grey with a single wash of nuln oil will do for the feathers.

Looks like you got off to a good start.

For the ravens I would say Sepia or agrax rather than black.

It'll give the ravens a bit of warmth.

There will be yellow beaks and claws to add a bit of warmth. Trying to get that slight shimmer ravens have so might add a coloured wash on as well?

Really want to hammer this and ASAP and get onto the next vow.

Cool, how about a nice blue tint on the feathers?

Maybe go for a satin varnish over matte?

I've never varnished my models before but plan on looking at this this year. Always got nervous of the horror stories you hear about frosted paint jobs.

Can anyone give me a run down of the relics available from the old suppliment?

Don't need the rules just a discription of what they are for modelling purposes and points. PM would be great!!!

Hmmm ... So I think there's:

A named set of TDA - Armour of Asvald Stormwrack

An uber storm bolter - Frostfury

Bofty sword - Krackenbone Sword

Named wolf claws - Morkai's Claws

Big arsed animal pelt - Pelt of Balewolf

Wolf tooth necklace - Fellclaws Teeth

Are those discriptions fairly close?

Last night I put the final varnish layer on the bases. So as soon as models are finished they can be based.

Biggest challenge with this current lot are going to be the face. Really find painting flesh harder than it should be.

Managed a quick half hour painting an finally worked out how I'm doing bone, animal skin, fur and other trinkets.

I've also decided on giving the ravens a purple shimmer to the feathers. Didn't get to see what it looks like dry as I had to head to work before the wash dried.

O ... And Cypher has had his green wash to the armour done.

Lol ... So finished models if not vow is on the cards very shortly. Just new to get work out of the way this afternoon/evening.

Works out of the way and I'm fired up for a good painting session. There's some beer in the fridge and work kindly supplied pizza during a long meeting an hour ago. So no need to stop for refuelling. :p

Someone's decided to change the grey these SW's are going to be. However it's looking better so happy with the decision. :)

Pics in the morning including first finished model. :p

Archived