SW1's Wolves

SW1

On the subject of drilling feet, why?

Can't you just glue them onto resin bases? There's epoxy resin/guerrilla glue that will happily stick metal to resin.

Means you can stick the ones you've already painted, and carry on prepping :)

I drill mine to place the model into cork while I paint. Some bases may require pinning as well depending on the material they are being set into.

SW1!! Duuuuuuude!! That is a LOT of models to paint up. And I thought I was sitting on a massive back log of unbuilt kits... Glad you got the bug and have started moving forward on all of it!!

End of Line

@Altis - I plan on painting the bases separately and then gluing once they're both finished. The feet have such a small contact points and gluing heavy metal models with the contact point being painted is just asking for trouble. If they were plastic I might just risk it but then it's so easy to drill plastic why wouldn't I?

@RPR - I was planning on corks or similar. Having them not on a base will help with painting the lowers half of the model. Your right about being sat on a small back log and it feeling good making some forward progress on it. I only realised quite how much I had waiting to be done recently when the wife decided to try helping sort some out.

The hubby and I have been nesting and trying to get organized....we realized our hall closet is devoted completely to models and some organizing might be due in the near future...this hobby really isn't storage friendly at all.

The hubby and I have been nesting and trying to get organized....we realized our hall closet is devoted completely to models and some organizing might be due in the near future...this hobby really isn't storage friendly at all.

Yeah the old hobby space was the biggest room in the house. Now it's relegated to a few units in the bedroom and random painting table set up in what's to be the youngest room when it's decorated (which will be post ETL)!!!

Yeah....I already sold off a high elf army in the interest of freeing up room but I've got my Space Wolves and Orks still and he has Daemons Daemons Daemons everywhere. The easiest thing I've found is to just sit in front of the television with a blanket and start clipping bits off sprues to put in bags. Makes storing so much easier but I feel like every time I do it, more sprues come from out of no where.

I like to refer to that as the self levelling effect. As you remove a sprue anther falls to replace it for the pile hiding on top of the wardrobe.

I've only just got all my SW's, GK's and vanilla stuff off the sprues. Once I've built the SW's I'll be getting the guard bits organised.

Ignore this I'm just thinking without a pen and paper to hand ...

Logan - 250

Ragnar - 195

Ulrik - 145

Njal in RA - 180

Njal in TDA - 180

Lukas - 80

Cypher - 190

Wolf Priest in TDA with digital weapons - 150

Wolf Priest in RA with jump pack, digital weapons and plasma pistol - 170

Wolf Priest in RA with digital weapons and plasma pistol - 155

Rune Priest in TDA with psychic hood, storm bolter and digital weapons - 110

Rune Priest in TDA with psychic hood, storm bolter and digital weapons - 110

Rune Priest in RA with psychic hood, mastery level 2 and digital weapons - 130

Rune Priest in RA with psychic hood, mastery level 2 and digital weapons - 130

Iron Priest with digital weapons, melta bombs, helfrost pistol and tempest hammer - 115

Iron Priest with digital weapons, melta bombs and tempest hammer - 95

This comes to 2385. There's 3 Wolf Lord builds I'm considering which would total 580 which is 35 points short of the 3k. If I can convert the WL's, Cypher plus the other IP conversion I've started and drop Lukas that will be exactly 3k.

I'm going to add a 2nd model (psyber raven) to the models who have m/lvl 2. Just needs a reasonable representation to be allowed. I only have 2 available so only 2 have the upgrade.

Lol ... The models are conversions of Njal. I've seen in previous ETL's some vowing multiples of the same unique characters. If I were to do this we'd see 2 Ragnar, 3 Njal in RA, 3 Ulrik. The only reason why I'm allowing myself 2 Njals is the completely different model/armour.

Forgot I've also got a ...

Rune Priest in RA with psychic hood, jump pack and digital weapons - 120

Lol ... It's tricky to get it to be spot on the 3,000 point mark. I'm uncertain the the 2nd IP with helfrost pistol will go that easy conversion wise. So another shuffle is in order. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and I should add up everything, then deduct models until I'm down to the target value?

So the Cypher conversion is finally in the bag. So that's 1 less model to prep!!! :D

While messing around for random bits for the conversion I found a suitable axe to use for one of the Lord conversions from the BA Sanguinary Guard kit. The arms I nicked the axe head from have had a TDA axe head stuck on and I may end up using it for another Rune Priest in PA.

I've also started removing the tabs on the metal character models and drilling the pinning holes which isn't too daunting in comparison to all the troops I've got to do eventually. :)

I did an Iron Hands army once using only Iron Hands pieces so they were all metal. Every model had a servo arm and a servo skull (Ahh, the days of Bitz orders!). They were all on resin bases, so I had the problem of drilling at least 1 foot and drilling a hole to pin the servo skull to the base. Thank Russ I have a variable-speed Dremel which I was able to use to get all of it done. Luckily, I got it one year for Christmas from my mom, but even if i had to pay twice whatever it cost it would have been worth it for convenience alone!

Sounds like you have a monster task ahead of you.

Sorry for the wysiwyg comment, I was on the train home and using the mobile.

Deduct models to hit the target is a good idea. Is the 300 points going to be spread over the whole ETLor are you planning  to add more vows?

@ alakinsky - I'll have to dig my drill out. :tu:

@ dantay - no worries mate. It's an easily overlooked bit of the ETL rules and worth checking before people put vows in place. Thanks for covering my back. ;)

Lol ... I'm considering trying out an instant mould to replicate a few more or source a few more birds to allow more of them access to lvl 2. Just thinking outside the box, if I can find a 28mm Harry Potter line they'd have lots of owls especially something like an eagle owl. :p

Currently toying with the idea of doing a 3k vow and then adding a few smaller vows made up of squads of TDA as they're the most points rich looking at what I've got available. The other option is break up the first however I'll then likely end up doing less overall.

@ alakinsky - I'll have to dig my drill out. :tu:

@ dantay - no worries mate. It's an easily overlooked bit of the ETL rules and worth checking before people put vows in place. Thanks for covering my back. ;)

Lol ... I'm considering trying out an instant mould to replicate a few more or source a few more birds to allow more of them access to lvl 2. Just thinking outside the box, if I can find a 28mm Harry Potter line they'd have lots of owls especially something like an eagle owl. :p

Currently toying with the idea of doing a 3k vow and then adding a few smaller vows made up of squads of TDA as they're the most points rich looking at what I've got available. The other option is break up the first however I'll then likely end up doing less overall.

Kromlech has... Two or even more packages of birds. They are well detailed for their size.

And I can't praise that studio enough.

Kromlech has... Two or even more packages of birds. They are well detailed for their size.

And I can't praise that studio enough.

I've been thinking of picking up extra mk3 biker legs so will have a look at those as well. Thanks!!!

Been number crunching and I can get 5760 points out of have 67 models. With the first 22 models making up 3430 points. There's a couple of TDA characters I'll need to build but I've already started to clean the parts up for them.

I've also got possibly another 2 Rune Priests to build though I'd like to source another couple of birds. Thoughts at the moment are to drop the RP's which don't have psyber birds as locating/converting a few will help boost the points values greatly. If I end up converting the other 2 Wolf Priests, 2 Rune Priests and maybe a few more Iron Priests the points should jump up again by a decent margin.

My dear little brother wants me to paint some blasted DA's up for him. Thinking as there's a bit of a tradition over in the DA forum of the odd player painting SW's and counting them as DA's for the ETL I might see if I can fit in the models my brother wants me to paint up for this ETL. :devil:

It's a 5 man TDA squad, Libby, captain and part of the tac squad.

Was thinking:

- TDA will be a straight swap for WG in TDA

- Libby will count as a Rune Priest

- Captain will count as a Wolf Lord

- Plasma Cannon and Serg can count as a minimum sized Long Fangs Pack

- Bolters and plasma gun can count as Grey Hunters

Any thoughts?

Argh ... I've just seen that knight Titan game in the news area of the site. Must resist the shinny shinny!!!

No spare cash really till August/September so if they're still knocking around then at that price I may bite. Would have been a cool addition for the ETL but I think I've got enough stuff knocking around to paint for now. Definitely need that wolf head conversion kit to go with them.

I've just seen the paint job on the 30k Wolves and it's much lighter than I thought it would be. Starting to change my mind about the dark grey paint job. Think I need to do some test painting and see what I come up with.

I've also been checking out the hobby supplies and my paints need an overhaul pre-ETL. Nothing worse than sitting down to paint and finding your paints dried out!!!

Need to have a decision about the grey I'm going to go for. Then the metals/red/yellow/skin/browns need going through as well. I'll dig out the coffee stirrers, distilled water and pipets.

So why does it get busy in work whenever I bring in models to work on? Hopefully it'll quiet down this afternoon/evening.

I've been trying to sort out some mk3 bodies and legs for the Long Fang pack I'm currently working on. Didn't realise they'd need so much work as there were a few subsurface bubbles that didn't make themselves obvious before I started. Think I'll need to bring in some gs tomorrow to sort them out.

Giving up on them for now and going to instead try mixing the B@C with some other bits and seeing what comes out at the other end.

Archived