IA - The Nightguard

Sigismund229

I understand the true name thing, but I'm not aware of a daemon's leverage being increased by knowing a mortal's name, unless you count the Aurelian thing on Cadia

Mmm, I thought it only worked on Daemons to be honest.

It happens several times in Prospero burns and the only marine the deamon can't get a grip on is Bjorn the Fell Handed as the person whose mind the deamon was taking the names had been pronouncing it Bear. I believe it crops up in a couple of other books and if I remember rightly Lorgar givew Khârn and Angron a lecture on it in Betrayer.

As far as I am aware from canon; it works for anyone whom can manipulate the warp as most beings are warp entities as well as physical beings. So if a traitor sorcerer or Daemon knew the true name of a Nightguard, they could manipulate them to a far greater degree.

Do any of the Legions practice psycho indoctrination at this point? Name changes included? As those Astartes would have no issue as they don't know their true names.

I'll have to brainstorm one for the old story I wrote. I was thinking that the Knights Errant and some of the Blackshield warbands who follow them to Terra become the nucleus of one or more Towers. I might switch Nix to a less senior role, as it makes more sense for Odyssalas to hold the post of Tower Master, though I like how the scene works.

In the case of the Shadow Hands, it becomes a way to escape the retribution of the Warbringers, who (if I remember what Skal said correctly) are intent on seeing their former brothers wiped out.

Imo, the former Blackshields would be more likely distributed across the existing or being built towers alongside the "veteran" Nightguard as a precaution and to provide the necessary experience. I'm also slightly incomfortable with Odyssales being auto promoted to Tower Master although seeing as he survives Raktra in one form or another I suppose it could happen.

Btw, have you thought of what names Nux&Odyssales will take as Nightguard?

Edited by Sigismund229

Second Captain, a track record for inventive tactics and surviving decades of service as a Knight Errant is a decent resumè, I'd say ;)

Will the bulk or even the whole of the Nightguard fight on Terra?

Edited by bluntblade

Second Captain, a track record for inventive tactics and surviving decades of service as a Knight Errant is a decent resumè, I'd say ;)

Will the bulk or even the whole of the Nightguard fight on Terra?

Ah but what deamonic foes will he have fought? That's what matter in the Nightguard ;)

No only those from the Tower located on Terra will be there. The rest will be around the EoT and Maelstrom dealing with deamonic incursions still. So that's give or take 71 Nightguard on Terra

Edited by Sigismund229

Well, whatever crossed his path from the beginning of the Blood Crusade onwards.

Won't the ones around the Maelstrom have bigger problems? I mean, once Icarion declares for Chaos, they become an enemy on his doorstep.

Well, whatever crossed his path from the beginning of the Blood Crusade onwards.

Won't the ones around the Maelstrom have bigger problems? I mean, once Icarion declares for Chaos, they become an enemy on his doorstep.

I suppose so? So they'll be fighting the LB and quite possibly taking part in the attack on Madrigal. Not put huge amount of thought into it.

Btw, have you got any ideas about what names Nux&Odyssales will take upon joining the Nightguard?

Also, I reckon the Nightguard should be present on Prospero.

The Nightguard can't be on Prospero. They weren't founded until the Emperor went back to Terra.

For the Nightguard Tower Masters we still need to come to a consensus. One will be a Lightning Bearer another a Grave Stalker. The master of the Nightguard fleet will be a WoP.

For the other two Tower Masters, how about a Predator(perhaps one of the two characters Kel gave us earlier?) and a Fire Keepers(what with them loathing witches and the warp and all). Then Thørn's Drowned character can be a Sergeant within the NG.

But he should be a nightguard who then asks for help. If it were an advisor, then he would stay a warden of light, right? Thought when the daemons in the rifts grow stronger, they call for help and the wardens send a voluntary army. Those would then see the darkness and were the first who split from the wardens taking action against the traitirs and when they defect, gwal realizes thst sitting around would not prevent bloodshed