IA - The Nightguard

Sigismund229

Do we want to have a Chief Ranger or similar under the Lord Commander? A loremaster could be combined with the Chaplain corps

Last time I checked there wasn't a Lord Commander. And what would the Chief Ranger do that the Tower Masters don't?

As to a loremaster I agree. And I think the Nightguard chaplains should focus heavily on the whole exorcism etc. side of things

Do we want to have a Chief Ranger or similar under the Lord Commander? A loremaster could be combined with the Chaplain corps

Last time I checked there wasn't a Lord Commander. And what would the Chief Ranger do that the Tower Masters don't?

As to a loremaster I agree. And I think the Nightguard chaplains should focus heavily on the whole exorcism etc. side of things

The Tower Masters would fulfill the administrative roll of leader in the towers, and command his troops in battle when defending the tower or when going forth with large parts of his armies. The "Chief Ranger" (whose name we should change) could on the other hand lead scouting forces and such ?

I think no-one grabbed an Admiral Yi character over on the general thread, so how about the captain of Vigilia Aeternam be a Warrior of Peace Yi style character? (I know Korea and China are quite different, but I believe Korea was quite peaceful before the Japanese invasion, so there is still some cross-over)

Ok,

then may I offer the service of

Maras & Jumea

Although being from different worlds with Maras being a Terran and Jumea a Mardum born Astartes, they are both so equal in appearance and mind that most people meeting them might think that they are born brothers or even twins.

As both of them once belonged to one of the famous Striking Shadow squads, they are a well-matched duo. With Jumeas' psionic powers and Maras' skills in combat, they brought death to a lot of the Legions targets.

Heeding the call of the Nightguard, they proudly joined its ranks and served there for several decades. When rumors reached  them about the Siege of Terra and the seemingly betrayal of their parent Legion, they were shocked. Abandoning their oaths and fealty towards their former brothers, they both decided to furthermore serve in the Nightguard.

Origin: Marassa Jumeaux were the only loa twins. They are the patrons of Divine power, mystery, justice, truth and reason. Could fit the Nightguard.

Which role shall they fill out? :)

Couple of things. Service in the Nightguard is always for life. They don't do rotational service like the deathwatch(I believe we agreed this). So they couldn't be part of the Nightguard and retain their identity as a Predator(or rather they can't retain their loyalty to their old legion). Second, as part of that and to help them fight deamons more effectively, the Nightguard take newnames upon joining the Nightguard which are generally more latin sounding.

And as for a position they can occupy within the Nightguard I think we need to flesh out its command structure more before telling you that.

Couple of answers:

Service for life: Ok. :) Still, they can be shocked like hell because of their Legions betrayal, leading to a special grudge against their former brothers.

Names: No problem at all. These were their old names. To find appropriate, new names is no difficulty at all.

Position: Just let me know. ;)

The Tower Masters would fulfill the administrative roll of leader in the towers, and command his troops in battle when defending the tower or when going forth with large parts of his armies. The "Chief Ranger" (whose name we should change) could on the other hand lead scouting forces and such ?

I think no-one grabbed an Admiral Yi character over on the general thread, so how about the captain of Vigilia Aeternam be a Warrior of Peace Yi style character? (I know Korea and China are quite different, but I believe Korea was quite peaceful before the Japanese invasion, so there is still some cross-over)

Korea had its own romance of the three.kingdoms^^ but they vued peace and knowledge higher than violence and swords so they were easy prey. (at least for the monghols) japanese were held of thanx to turtle submarine.

Korea had its own romance of the three.kingdoms^^ but they vued peace and knowledge higher than violence and swords so they were easy prey. (at least for the monghols) japanese were held of thanx to turtle submarine -

- and the command of Admiral Yi :P Well, I don't really know much about him and the turtle ships (turtle ships, not submarines quite yet :P) but I thought he could be an interesting character :)

Also, Yi is said to have helped design the turtle ships (that has been put into question recently, but no biggie), so he could be some kind of Techmarine Captain kind figure? Perhaps a Techmarine stripped of his "techmarine rank", before he rises once more through the conventional officer ranks?

The new names thing feels a bit Grey Knight-ish for me, to be honest. Though the memory fiddling stuff is gone, right?

They never fiddled with the memories of space marines who accepted joining the Nightguard. They still need to rid themselves of loyalty to their previous legion. Dont you remember we spent 2 pages arguing the point only to realise we meant the same thing? Edited by Sigismund229

I'll admit I'm unsure how I feel about the name changing idea myself, given that I can't picture our memorable characters like Khârn or Yoxer Bellows being referring to with GK-style fancy Latin names.

Names have power, as seen in Prospero burns. If a deamon doesn't know your name that gives an advantage or at least puts you on equal footing. That and taking a new name helps distance their lives before they joined the Nightguard.

Hmm, that's true. Perhaps it's something the Nightguard take up in the Insurrection's aftermath? Ooo, maybe rather than just the generic Latin names recruits take alternate names from their respective homeworld's cultures?

Maybe. I don't really like the idea of exceptions(it stinks of special snowflakeism) but in this case (shrugs) there's some reasoning behind it. Although perhaps they take additional names or smthn to give them a leg up on deamons?

@sanguinius: The idea behind the latin names was to inject a bit of latin gothic stuff that the Imperium is somewhat lacking in the BotL verse.

A leg up on daemons? I don't follow

A repeatedly hammered home theme in 40k regarding deamons and pyskers is that of names having power. If they know your real name they have power over you(hence the Custodes taking hundreds of names and the idea of the Nightguard taking new names). It's meant as an additional barrier the deamons need to get through and an additional thing that adds to the effectiveness of the Nightguard against deamons.

A leg up on daemons? I don't follow

A repeatedly hammered home theme in 40k regarding deamons and pyskers is that of names having power. If they know your real name they have power over you(hence the Custodes taking hundreds of names and the idea of the Nightguard taking new names). It's meant as an additional barrier the deamons need to get through and an additional thing that adds to the effectiveness of the Nightguard against deamons.

Lexicanum may be of help here.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn