IA - The Nightguard

Sigismund229

Uhmm. Some kind of psykers who can feel the trait of chaos. A pariah unit vs chaos-daemons? Everything should be focused to kill daemons. As characters...tower master maybe? Edited by MikhalLeNoir

You like coloured arms for rank don't you ;) Seriously, I like it :)

Perhaps we could take inspiration from both Grey Knights and Deathwatch. In particular, I think those Heavy Thunderhammers could be of use somewhere ;)

Perhaps assault units based on the Oni or the Lightning Bearers, though I'm wary of going too far and just pillaging Athrawes' idea.

Do we have named Masters for each Tower?

Edited by bluntblade

blunt, seeing as the Masters of the Towers are such important figures within the Nightguard I thought they should be something that were built up by the BotL community as a whole rather than one person so I refrained from doing any work on them.

Also, while I'm thining about it how much terminator armour do peeps reckon the NG should have access to?

blunt, seeing as the Masters of the Towers are such important figures within the Nightguard I thought they should be something that were built up by the BotL community as a whole rather than one person so I refrained from doing any work on them.

Also, while I'm thining about it how much terminator armour do peeps reckon the NG should have access to?

Fair enough. Any ideas would be nice to hear, though. I like the idea of one being a Grave Stalker or Serpent. For maximum drama we could even have a Godslayer.

I'd say a decent amount of Terminator armour, but also a fair amount of Artificer too.

I believe one of my early ideas was that the Tower master on Terra be a Grave Stalker and the mater of the Tower of Vigilance be a LB

Nice. It'll give us a chance to get into the potential for nobility in a Legion that's often disregarded or even looked down on. What other Tower does that give us?

That leaves the Towers of Reason and Truth.

Where are they located, by the way? Might be a good idea to add them to our galactic map, along with the sites for the Day of Revelation.
Reason is on Chinchare while Truth is on Golgotha watching over the Maelstrom.

Btw, are there any ruins left of Prospero? Because if there are I imagine the Nightguard would establish a small Tower there like they did on Terra.

What are the locations of all the Towers again?

The Watch of the Eye of Terror

Vigilance, also known as Nightguard HQ: Hydraphur or Belis Corona or some new, invented world.

Reason: Chinchare

Maelstrom Watch

Truth: Golgotha

Terran Watch(mainly token, hence why there's only 71 there)

Light: Terra, I imagine in some dark, forgotten part of the Imperial Palace

Where are they located, by the way? Might be a good idea to add them to our galactic map, along with the sites for the Day of Revelation.
Reason is on Chinchare while Truth is on Golgotha watching over the Maelstrom.

Btw, are there any ruins left of Prospero? Because if there are I imagine the Nightguard would establish a small Tower there like they did on Terra.

Depends how thoroughly the planet is wrecked. If it's on par with the Burning in canon, the planet loses its geological stability altogether.

Does the adapted Oni idea have legs? I'm not sure what to suggest otherwise.

Edited by bluntblade

Just throwing ideas out there for the Nightguard rules

Legiones Astartes(Nightguard)

Legiones Astartes

(name needed): For +50 points, any squad with Legiones Astartes(Nightguard) may acquired the Brotherhood of Pyskers or Twisted Brotherhood rules. 

Emperor's Chosen: Any squad with Legiones Astartes(Nightguard) may exchange its power armour for artificer armour for +10 points per model. 

Ethereal foes: Squads with Legiones Astartes(Nightguard) have Preferred Enemy(Deamons) and Preferred Enemy(Gal Vorbak). 

Secret Purpose: Squads with Legiones Astartes(Nightguard) treat all other forces as being Distrusted Allies.

A question: pre-Insurrection, and more importantly in the two decades before Icarion's allegiance shifts to Chaos, what does the Nightguard do? In particular, when is their operative (one of several, perhaps?) sent after Turrus?

What reason do we give for that? They're a small grouping, so I guess the main issue is them being on the scene quickly enough to contain any incursion.

And he remains a guest of Turrus until the Knights Errant go to retrieve him? Or does he end up as a test subject?

Edited by bluntblade

Chaos rising in power was the reason I was thinking of.

And no, Tybor wouldn't become a test subject. Turrus has his own kind of perverse honour so he only extracts gene-seed and the like from marines who died in combat. Tybor didn't so he would be kept as a guest of Turrus, still prisoner but treated well.

I could see the nightguard getting more.and.more.unhappy with the situatiom as the warpregions grow.more and more instable and they have more.and more problems to contain the chaos incursions. To late do they realize thst chaos spread already behind them

I could see the nightguard getting more.and.more.unhappy with the situatiom as the warpregions grow.more and more instable and they have more.and more problems to contain the chaos incursions. To late do they realize thst chaos spread already behind them

My idea was that they'd fight on as they had and gradually come to realise that they aren't enough and help is needed. But who from? The revolutionaries? They're too busy carving out an empire. The Imperium? It's fighting for its lofe against the Insurrecionists who are also not gonna be where the Nightguard look for help due to being corrupted.

There's only once place left to look: Caerbannog ;) That would give the WoL something to do other than welcome refugee ships and I imagine Gwal would take a request for help against the warp very seriously

By my understanding, once Tybor and the Knights Errant verify that the Insurrectionists are corrupted, the Nightguard get wholeheartedly involved. They're only neutral as long as neither side is scene to be Chaotic.

They will. But that's only in the last 10 years or so of the Insurrection. Before then they focus on holding back the deamons and will probably need help from the WoL