IA - The Nightguard

Sigismund229

Idea I had inspired by the Deatwatch

​Nightguard Watch Stations

All around the eye of terror, there are located Nightguard watch stations. Each of these is a small satellite, hidden by arcane cloaking technology and manned by Nightguard serfs. Each of these stations serves a duel purpose. Their primary purpose is to monitor the regions around the Eye of Terror and Maelstrom zone for warp activity in order to provide the Nightguard with an advanced warning for when a warp incursion shall occur. Their secondary purpose is to act as a resupply point, enabling the Nightguard to rapidly redeploy anywhere around the Maelstrom zone or Eye of Terror adequately supplied. These watch stations are capable of being garrisoned by up to 100 space marines although they are normally only garrisoned by around 50 serfs.

I also had an idea regarding the cloaks and hoods and robes etc. How about via dark age tech the cloaks and hoods shield them from the warp to an extent(same with the mask)?

Muahaja. Dark ritual: the cloaks drenched in the blood of pariahs and the fur is from a stone beast, an entity found only on dreimos which is absolute anti warp creature.

Interesting. I'm enjoying the luxury of being a casual observer and just watching the discussion for now. The only real issue I was pondering was do the Grey Knights exist in our canon, since that is Malcador's project.

The Nightguard are Malcador's project as the Emperor is too busy to oversee the creation and organization of the Nightguard so he entrusts that to Malcador. So the Nightguard have essentially replaced the GK and may have combined the GK and Deathwatch into one organization

I think that the Grey Knights were sort of a stock gap measure to stem the flow of chaos once the Heresy broke out. As such, they pretty much did all they could with the ressources at the time.

Here, the NightGuard are formed earlier than the Insurrection's outbreak, and they can expand more freely than the Grey Knights can because of these circumstances. The combination of Normal Marines, Psykers and Pariahs make them an interesting force in many ways, but they can also be considered dis-unified in some measure.

At the time of their foundation (I'm reluctant to speak of Founding), the Lightning Bearers are leading the fight into the Great Enemy's own territories, and the NightGuard are formed to protect the realms of humanity that have already been established, as opposed to those that are currently being conquered.

In all this, I think that Grey Knights would ultimately be redundant.

/agreed

Big E knows of the dark gods. He knows the threats of the Warp.

I would say that in canonverse, the Grey Knights were a reaction towards the growing influence of the pantheon. Something like, "Holy grenade of Antioch! Horus betrays us. My own webway is collapsing. Demons are nearly everywhere. Malc! Go and gather the best of the best! Take them and create an army of loyal and mighty psykers. I'll give you a couple of years and the necessery technology. Now go and come back with an army worth of being the protectors of mankind!"

In our 'verse he was able to prepare, to pul the strings in the shadows. Malc had way more time to invent an organization of worthy warriors, able to fight the Warp.

Although brought to comliance, there might be several cults or activists out there, worshipping the foul gods.

So yeah, it is our version of the Grey Knights (fighting demons) mixed with the Deathwatch (spread across the galaxy, more "normal" marines than psykers).

• 3 weeks later...
So, have we decided when the Nightguard will get properly involved? I'm thinking Tybor is rescued by the Rangers and subsequently get involved in their espionage efforts. This reveals something of what the Eagle Warriors are up to, and then the Blood Crusade erupts.

• 2 weeks later...

So, have we decided when the Nightguard will get properly involved? I'm thinking Tybor is rescued by the Rangers and subsequently get involved in their espionage efforts. This reveals something of what the Eagle Warriors are up to, and then the Blood Crusade erupts.

Sorry, I can't answer for this, but I have another question:

What are we doing with the Gloriana-class ship ? I might be interested in making it some kind of fifth keep, but with a different mentality to the other towers (they'd be more militaristic/modern rather then knightly-themed), and since I haven't seen it discussed anywhere...

They could be the ones that roam the Galaxy and act as an Elite Emergency Back Up unit or First Responders.

So much more of a "shock and awe" approach to things.

Besides, Bullpup Bolters are totally a thing.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. They could also end up siding with the Reformists, or else acting as double agents in the Suzerainty on behalf of the Imperium

Or just stick it out as completely impartial in regards to Imperium/Suzerainty ?

Edited by Lord Thørn

Weren't they neutral?

So I would suggest that they would not do some agent shenanigans.

I like the impression of the Gloriana being a fast response strike force. Appearing out of nowhere in the most desperate situations.

It seems logical that they'd be against Chaos, but do they also need to be against the Reformists ?

How about the "Tower of Revelation" as the name of the Gloriana ?

Also, could you edit the first post to include all the information so far please Sigi ? I haven't been able to follow all the threads here, and I think information for the NightGuard is dotted a bit all round the place.

Edited by Lord Thørn

I think that we already decided a name.

Though I can't remember it and were to find it. It was during the "Who gets which Gloriana?" discussion.

I think that we already decided a name.

Though I can't remember it and were to find it. It was during the "Who gets which Gloriana?" discussion.

Aaah.

Yet another reason for collecting/collating all the  NightGuard related information in one place ^^

By the way. Sigi? Is there an adequate latin term for lightbringer?

From what I remember, the correct term would be "lucifer".

donald-glover-awkward.gif

Awkward...

Edited by SanguiniusReborn