A Blade once broken, Is reforged. (Terminator Scheme Redux)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been thinking of my Terminators and they arent so different from my Veterans so I was thinking (Shut it Stobz biggrin.png )

So I did a mock up in the Terminator painter,

The bone version would have more red, and white like my others. It would be close to Deathwing with subtle differences.

My only issue is my fluff? How can I make the colour change seem reasonable? Mark of honour?

I was reading on Lexicanium

The Deathwing's unique white colour scheme was originally described as being a mark of remembrance for a lone squad of Dark Angel Terminators who freed a recruitment world from a Genestealer infestation and slew a Broodlord that had terrorized the Galaxy. As they did not expect to survive such a confrontation, they painted their armour white in preparation for their deaths. In the end the Deathwing triumphed and a vital part of the Dark Angels' heritage was saved. Later accounts portray this story (which is known as "The Tale of Two Heads Talking") as being a tale told to members of the Chapter who have not yet advanced far enough in the Chapter's hierarchy to know the darkest secrets of the Chapter, and the true reason for the change of colour scheme is in fact symbolic of the Deathwing's role as hunters of The Fallen and as members of the Chapter's Inner Circle.

If I go by the second reason I have no issues... Seems like thats DA Codex 4th vs Deathwing Story which we all know is one of the things we love about DA.

Can I have opinions smile.png Really I just want some variety, I am going to revisit my 2nd with black bikes, red riders.

"I have been thinking of my Terminators and they arent so different from my Veterans so I was thinking (Shut it Stobz biggrin.png )"

HA!!!

Now to your question. I really enjoy the first image, a lot. While most Unforgiven chapters don't differentiate the 1st and 2nd, the BoA are your chapter, so there's absolutely nothing stopping you from making the 1st and 2nd co different schemes. Yes, going back to 2nd edition (maybe even pre-2nd), the original tale explains the shift to bone. But current editions have stepped so far away from that lore, that most new comers to DA don't even know about it. And as far as I know, we still don't have any concrete reasons as to why the 2nd co is black, or have a different symbol

As for reasons why yours are different, the most obvious could be an honour thing that's explained to the uninformed, in regards to the 1st co. The tricky one is explaining why the 2nd co is different.

Edit: something weird happened with the quote from my phone

You could try a vertical "halved" bone/red scheme maybe? It could symbolise their standing with the chapter on one "side" whilst hunting the fallen in DW colours on the other.

As you're doing something similar with your second company, maybe you could arrange their colours in a slightly different split along the same sort of thinking. For example, the front part of the bike/vehicle could be black, with the rear parts and the rider in red - symbolising them "entering the darkness of the knowledge they have learned" and facing that darkness in their hunt for the fallen.

For my 1st and second company the colors go back to the days before compliance. Silver was the color of the legions best, and they were heavily armored and augmented humans. Bronze was the color of the calvary and other beast riders. Both of these were honors that translated into the chapter eventually. Also the significance of bronze and silver. Judgement and redemption respectively. Very fitting I think.

Maybe for you, it could be an old way from days before the chapter? Or an honor to the father chapter 1st company ( both subtly and obviously). It doesn't need to be anything crazy. It could be that they were just following the rule of cool :) haha

Personally I like the red with bone heads, I think it's a very neat color scheme.

I also like majors halved idea. You could also make it just the left arm, shoulder pad or something simpler. I've heard how hard those schemes could be.

My 1st Company Deathwalkers have their coloration specifically due to the tribal death cult/myth they take their name from. There is no reason they can't have a different color scheme than the rest of the Chapter's veterans, but if you don't want to go with the "honoring their forebearers in the DA Chapter" concept, then make the color difference for a reason all your own!

Like Bryan Blaire said, you could just ignore the Deathwing-notion and fabricate your own fluff for your dudes.  Something like this: To enter the 1st company of the Blades of Alaric, a test of strength and resolve must be undertaken. The Initiates must wrestle with a Pyrovore... naked... The few initiates that return are often covered from head to toe in the bonewhite ashes of their dead comrades.To honour their fallen brethren and to remind themselves of the neccesity of sacrifice, they paint their armour in the colour of that dreadfull ash.

The other angle could be upon learning of the Fallen when they enter the first company they paint their armour bone/white as a symbolic way of washing away all of their sins?

Well that's along the lines of my suggestion above.

Part black for 2nd company to symbolise their learning of the fallen and facing the darkness, and part white/bone of the 1st company to symbolise their difficult task of capturing the Fallen and bringing them in for redemption (and the vertical colour split could be visual indicator of the symbolism of the Inner Circle standing halfway in/out of the light of redemption).

You can get away with anything tbh. It is noted in the Codex that Consecrators paint the helmets of their terminators Bone, as a sign of brotherhood to the Deathwing. Making the whole armour bone, save for the helmet, is just an extension of that concept. 

You could also use the story of the regular Deathwing. It may be a story done by official DA-Deathwing, but that does not mean that some of your marines aren't from the liberated planet in question (with similar customs). I mean, the whole 1st company adopted the bone colour, while only a small force of Deathwing actually performed the action. 

This might be better than your own story. A successor with the same colours as its parent-chapter with a different, but similar, origin story might be too convenient. 

Edit: bone can have so many symbolic explenations, like you and the Major already supplied, you can choose anything really.

The other angle could be upon learning of the Fallen when they enter the first company they paint their armour bone/white as a symbolic way of washing away all of their sins?

Well that's along the lines of my suggestion above.

Part black for 2nd company to symbolise their learning of the fallen and facing the darkness, and part white/bone of the 1st company to symbolise their difficult task of capturing the Fallen and bringing them in for redemption (and the vertical colour split could be visual indicator of the symbolism of the Inner Circle standing halfway in/out of the light of redemption).

I am not a fan of half/half so I am against the idea sad.png Sorry Major sad.png.

I could go black helmets which is the original colour... It would be ok for my Chapter to have Black 1st and 2nd given their origins.

Archived