Duz does RG

duz_

So I finished my Captain "Solaq", he will actually just be a generic captain with artificer armour and power sword to keep points low.

I found the Solaq rules pretty lack luster so chopped off the plasma pistol and added a VV bolt pistol instead (I like to keep my generic captains cheap, I guess its the guard player in me).

He turned out ok, but I had hoped he would pop a bit more on the table top. It is one of the down sides to RG being black and white, I had considered doing a Raven symbol on the back. However once I started painting him I thought there was already plenty of random birds around his armour that putting another giant one on the back might be too much. Who knows maybe I'll come back later and do it. I had also considered doing the edge highlight blue (I can't remeber who of our Frater had done that originally), but that wouldn't have fit with the rest of my scheme. So here he is:

gallery_87434_12256_87901.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_124322.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_263775.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_141300.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_195481.jpg

I also worked on my CC scouts, I really enjoyed painting these guys, especially with their Scion kitbash (thanks for the idea Uveron!). I'm looking forward to building more of these later on with more kitbashing!

gallery_87434_12256_20757.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_79977.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_22753.jpg

So I guess after this it will be back to my Sternguard, although I do have a small event coming up next month which will require some Tac's so maybe I'll paint a handful of them so my dice roll better!

They are looking good! 

Are you painting Beak like things on the scion heads or is it an optical illusion? 

Yes well spotted! I did forget to mention that

I think they look the part? Kind of hard trying to get the curves for a beak on those face masks and I didn't want to do a simple triangle or diamond (although I suspect they look more like odd diamonds!)

Yes well spotted! I did forget to mention that

I think they look the part? Kind of hard trying to get the curves for a beak on those face masks and I didn't want to do a simple triangle or diamond (although I suspect they look more like odd diamonds!)

I think they look good, the scion heads do have a slight beak to them anyway so its not hard to make it stand out (I was trying to make mine less beaky this weekend when finishing up my scouts)

As requested a close up of the scouts. Sorry for the quality I tried to get away with it on my phone.

Im not sure if you can see the eyes too. They deliberately look kinda weird, I was trying to mimic a Ravens eye. The thought that it was more of an aesthetic lens.

gallery_87434_12256_34349.jpg

So I decided to move on to some tacticals next, thinking I'd be going to an event in a couple of weeks. However now looks like I'll be going for a 13hr drive instead. Nevertheless I still want to punch out these 2x 5 man squads (1 melta, 1 flamers).

I am stuck on what to do about the right shoulder pad. Being relatively new to SMs, I only have the current codex which doesnt really go into much depth on RG markings. It says generally that shoulder indicates what kinda of squad they are and not their company colours. Then goes and shows company colours on shoulders.

Where are the symbols for the squad designations? I do vaguely remember them from 3rd but can't see any reference in the current codex.

As for the shoulder trim I can't decide if I want to leave it black or have it a lighter grey or white for contrast or go red for shrikes company.

Where can I find some fluff the help with this?

I was considering two birds one stone if Tacticals/ASM/Devs etc had their own colour destination as well as symbol I could just paint the colour on the trim instead.

gallery_87434_12256_83038.jpg

Edited by duz_

The Scout helmets are choice and your style makes them better.  Gives me room to follow your lead, frankly.

The Codex since 5th edition shows the Company color on the trim.  So the unit designation also goes on the right pauldron (excepting for MkVI, then the unit designation location is more fluid).  the squad designation would go onto the left leg, typically at the knee).

It *was* totally different back in 3rd edition, but even that version didn't make much sense in hindsight.

Alternatively, you could say your Shadow Captain has decided to hide the company markings on the Strike Force to keep the enemy guessing (if they cared to keep track of which RG company was about to destroy them :laugh.:).

Edited by Race Bannon
Scout heads!

I am stuck on what to do about the right shoulder pad. Being relatively new to SMs, I only have the current codex which doesnt really go into much depth on RG markings. It says generally that shoulder indicates what kinda of squad they are and not their company colours. Then goes and shows company colours on shoulders.

Does Imperial Armour Volume Eight (Raid on Kastorel-Novem) have color plates for the Raven Guard? it may be a good source of information... 

Otherwise they are looking great! 

Edited by Uveron

Right shoulder should have the squad marking (Tactical, Veteran/Elite, Devastator, etc. and the rim of the right shoulder pad should indicate the company. I can't seem to find a recent source for this but it's consistent with how the 'Eavy Metal team portray them in recent codexes. In old Chapter Approveds it's shown as them having the colour indicate the type of squad as well, with company number on a kneepad, but I think the colour showing company and icon showing squad type makes more sense and is the new hotness.

• 1 month later...

So I recently started a new job then moved so hobby progress has been some what postponed.

Things have settled a bit and I recently got my order of the single libby from deathwatch.

Here my WIP on him so far. Im going to go into my local GW when they open later in the week and grab some San Guard for their jump packs. Although I'm not sure if I should magnetise his pack. My plan is to turn him with my assault marines as mobile objective grabbers.

I see Im not the only one lately grabbing the san guard kit. ;)

Quick update- found the right jump pack for the chaplain, base coats are on :tu:

med_gallery_9146_7882_221041.jpg

cheers Mithril

sorry for lack of updates, Christmas Time can be a bit hectic sometimes ^_^

gallery_87434_12256_6150.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_29690.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_219435.jpg

Thanks I wanted to give him an axe, but I don't like the unwieldy penalty. So staff it is for now.

Once the green stuff dries I'm going to put on a GK shoulder pad and some heraldry just for some extra pizazz

heya duz_ 

loving your work here, scouts are Awesomesauce but i do Love Solaq's helm...(consider that ninja'd :ph34r.: )

the Libby looks Boss, heh i may even steal that too,(good idea on the jump pack...Pffttt i reckon they're more suited to RG/Raptors than to blood angels :ohmy.: ...:laugh.:

hope to see more of your work after CHRISTMAS 

cheers Mithril

Thanks mithril!

Those scouts were the suggestion of another Frater!

Glad the other stuff inspired you too.

I've been wanting to kitbash that libby since I first saw him. Im happy with how he turned out. I plan on getting the kit tomorrow. Ill probably be using the other jet packs for models too. Including my own chaplain. ;)

What I really want now though is those Celestine wings! ;)

I get 2 weeks off work come Friday so hopefully a bit more hobby progress including more CC scouts!

I really love the staff, but doesn't that model typically come with a Sword? Is that staff from one of the Grey Knight kits? Any plans to modify any of the =][= symbols or the blood drop?

Also, I really love what you did with those scouts, esp the painwork on the face grille/eye lenses. Great stuff (Also seeing those details brought out that helmet really reminds me of Bumblebee, now I have a desire to paint one of those helmets yellow)

Thanks! I actually just put 5 more CC scouts together. This time with 4 scion heads. So more of that to come. ;)

Yes his kit comes with a sword and a monopose bolt pistol arm. So I switched it for the GK power armour staff as you guessed and just a regular SM arm with the out stretched hand for casting.

So you wouldnt believe it. I had always planned to GS the inquisition symbols on the staff and his book. However I was at my local GW today. Not doing much so decided to under coat the model. And while I was waiting for it to dry saw your post and realised I had forgotten to do just that!

So now I have to go back and fill in the gaps.

The Sanguard jet pack looks good. Although in future when possible I will need to use their rear torso. That's where the mounting lugs for the wings are.

Edited by duz_

Thanks Uveron!

Its from the KT Cassius DW box

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/deathwatch-kill-team-cassius-2016

I just bought model off ebay though. Despite all the models being pretty awesome I didn't have much use for the others at the moment.

Itvyper as for the blood drop on the shin. Unfortunately my GS work isn't amazing enough to convert it into something else. So I'm thinking I'll just paint it blue as a homage to the librarius as the rest of the model I'll probably paint black.

Trying to decide if I'll give him the veteran white arms and if he's a camo kinda guy or not.

I suspect he'll probably fall in line with my other independent characters and terminators which is sans camo. They're arrogant like that. ;)

So I got around to getting the wings on the model

I decided to magnetise them for easy storage.

I went back and GS the inquisition symbols too. Im hoping I can just paint over it without having to reprime.

gallery_87434_12256_71076.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_216644.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_346056.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_19577.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_90167.jpg

Also my local GW did a secret santa this year. Nearly 40 odd people signed up. It was actually a lot of fun. I walked away with some scouts and a Stormhawk interceptor. I also put that together today. I think its a great build on the storm talon. I magnetized the nose weapons and the wings.

gallery_87434_12256_144415.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_215908.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_102848.jpg