Duz does RG

duz_

Interesting idea there.

If it's possible, I would suggest looking at getting some of the Tamyia Clear range.  They go an amazing job, and can add great effects to aircraft canopies.  If I'm honest, I'm kind of thinking about another pair of Talons for my Ravens, when funds allow, so I can go with the green Night Vision look.  If I am able to paint the interiors of the cockpits too, it will be a first, and add that touch extra I've been avoiding through 5 Ravens, and 4 Talons, and a Fire Raptor.

yeah,i can second whats said above, Tamiya clear is quite effective at getting a tinted canopy look,seen several painted well here on the B&C see below...

i'm very tempted to try it on my own stormraven when the time comes...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/brushknights/CameraZOOM-20160324152626210_zpsh8ivrrgc.jpg

here's the thread - 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/320218-ultramarines-joining-the-blue-brotherhood/?hl=+ultramarines

cheers, Mithril

P.S. Duz you should paint the underside in a medium to light grey...unless they fly around in a black sky a lot :tongue.:

Edited by mithrilforge

Quick update, this evening was the thankless painting that if you don't do people notice, but don't notice when you do...

I tidied up the pattern and then did some highlighting on the starboard engine, missile pod and the underslung assault cannon. I also put some nulin oil in the corners and recesses.

Hopefully tomorrow I can finish off the same on the other side and get a start on the fuselage.

gallery_87434_12256_264713.jpg

Edited by duz_

Don't know how you do it. I don't have that much patience.

I get my painting done in 20-60 minute spurts, and I fight my ADHD every step of the way.

That's why I'm effectively painting my entire army at once. My Culexus was the first model I've started and finished without deviating for YEARS.

Ha sometimes I question my sanity doing this too! I guess coming from guard it seems relatively easy as the models are larger and fewer compared to my 100+ guardsmen.

Yeh I was leaning orange too.

So haven't got in as much painting as I would have liked this week. I have started highlighting the fuselage at least.

My FW order came in. The resin does seem smoother and higher quality compared to my other source. However whether or not that difference is noticeable after painting I don't know. The MK6 shoulder pads are for my vets. The helmets are for all! :)

I also assembled my valentine's day present. A stock chaplain for my TSF tournament list. I still plan on converting my second solaq model into a jump chaplain.

gallery_87434_12256_347838.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_178764.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_119296.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_73465.jpg

As i said in the other topic, this is top shelf stuff Duz :thumbsup:  you have got the pattern nailed down, I'm very much looking fwd to seeing the orange canopy on there :wub:

excellent work and the effort put in shows through in the pics...

Inspirational work Man!, thanks for posting it.

Cheers, Mithril

Haha thanks? Yeh I've been using masking tape to great success. My previous attempts weren't as good. Possibly because I was doing red on white which is very unforgiving if the red bleeds.

Annoyingly my closest tamiya Stockists is a bit of a drive away. Ill see if I can grab some this weekend.

Also with the talons I haven't been washing the whole vehicle like I do with the rhinos. The whole planes like to be clean and aerodynamic thing...

Herea some shots of my masking. I've found doing two sets of large stencils works best.

gallery_87434_12256_257700.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_462880.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_284351.jpg

You took tutorial-style pictures for me just because I asked if you masked your models off? Are...are you hitting on me? :wub:

I think I mentioned when you did the tanks that the wash/ink dulled out the camo and took away the "pop" and that might be why I love the flyers so much. Perhaps the best approach to camo+tanks is weather pigments and streaking, rather than a wash.

Regardless, this is looking excellent.

Some of those pics of tape looks like the tape is very sharp, like it was maybe cut with a hobby knife. Do you cut it on the roll or a cutting mat, or do you trim/cut it after you have put the tape on the model? Any concern if you cut the tape on the model that you gouge/score the primer/model?

I'm thinking I might have to rip off your design for my flyers....:blush.:

Thanks RB! Well the missus is outta town this weekend and I have no plans. So I am hoping to have this flyer at least 80% complete if not finished by Sunday evening!

Haha IV glad you appreciate the pics! Yeh I did hit it with a wash on the rhinos. Partly because that's what I did with the marines and partly because the Administratum grey I find quite bright otherwise. Maybe I could try a darker one and not have to wash it all. I could try dawnstone?

With the tape I generally just rip off the edges. Occasionally when I need a straight corner I will use a hobby knife. Ill either cut the piece whilst holding the tape or fold the applied tape back where I want to cut. Occasionally I will slightly score the tape on the model. It doesnt appear to damage the primer. I use a standard hobby knife not GW and the blades seem quite sharp (as my fingers have occasionally found out).

Im glad this scheme can inspire! :)

Well here comes another one eh..:thumbsup:

is that just plain masking tape... kudo's to you for doing that, i only use tamiya tape...masking tape is too sticky for my liking :ohmy.:

look forwards to seeing more work on this, if the last one is anything to go by then it's going to be a ripper :cool.:

Cheers Mithril