General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

I did a thing:

http://i.imgur.com/54LW7xl.png

I'm wondering if something like this would be acceptable for the current fluff challenge, and also for later challenges? That way I'm making stuff that can go in the books, and fleshing out the legion more: two birds with one stone.

no...no...no...No...No...NO...NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! NO! NO! OH! GOD! NO!

That can't be true! I must be dreaming...

NEVER STOP BEING AWESOME AND SURPRISE US WITH SUCH INCREDIBLE STUFF! I DOUBLE DARE YOU! YOU FREAKIN' GENIUS!

Those legionaries whose Insurgos are in Book 2A

The Shadow War

Cowardly is the man who stands in the light and is hailed for bravery. True bravery is to fight in the shadows, unseen and unsung, your deeds known to none.

-Proverb from the world of Sixty-Three-Nineteen

As fighting raged between those legions loyal to the Emperor and those loyal to the Stormborn in the galactic core, troops loyal to the Emperor were being mustered in all corners of the mankind’s far flung territories. From enormous regiments of the Imperial Army to Automata from those Mechanicum forge worlds that remained loyal to the Omnissiah on Terra or even companies of legionaries recently returned from the front lines of the now dying Great Crusade, the entire might of the Imperium was the Warmaster’s to command. If these troops were to become involved in the fighting around the Galactic Core, they could turn it into a war of attrition, a war which the Stormborn, due to his relative lack of resources, was bound to lose.

Therefore, just as he needed to carve out a base of operations for himself in the galactic core, the Stormborn also needed to find a way to prevent the full might of the Imperium from being deployed against his rebellion while it was still young. However, for this task, the Stormborn had an advantage over his Imperial counterpart. While he commanded nine of the Imperium’s eighteen legions to his enemy’s eight, the Stormborn was also able to count many tens of thousands of Insurgos among his followers. In nearly every loyalist legion, there had been deserters, legionaries who chose to follow the Stormborn over the Emperor. From the Iron Bears had come the brutal Wendiigo and Naagloshi, from the Void Eagles the Morning Stars, almost half the Dune Serpents legion defected, 15,000 or more Halcyon Wardens, the Bloodlords of the Predators and many more, too many to list here. While these Insurgos numbered in their tens of thousands, indeed their numbers were high enough that many count them as a tenth legion in the Stormborn’s service, they were fragmented, following hundreds of different leaders. As a result, their use in legion against legion warfare was limited, their small numbers and lack of united command leaving them vulnerable to destruction from a larger force.

However, in the kind of delaying action the Stormborn needed, these traits ceased to be faults and became blessings. The Stormborn did not need grand victories from the Insurgos or worlds that had been conquered or worlds that had been razed. Instead, he needed time. The Insurgos could give him that time, by launching a campaign of raiding across the Imperium, disrupting the movement of Imperial troops, keeping large numbers of Imperial forces tied down defending systems far away from the galactic core and keeping the Imperial tacticians guessing as to where the Stormborn intended to strike next.

The campaigns which ensued went largely unseen and unheard of. To many, they were raids by bands of renegades, with no place in the overall strategy of the Insurrection, whose more conventional battles were being waged far away in the galactic core. It is only by looking back at the pattern of these raids and what they targeted that their true purpose is visible as part of this war fought in the Insurrection’s shadows.

It was also over the course of this shadow war that many Insurgos warbands began to develop identities separate from that of the legion they had abandoned, something only compounded by the type of campaign they found themselves fighting. Cut off from reliable supplies, they pioneered what would become known as the Nomad-Predation fleet pattern, looting whatever equipment they needed rather than relying on supply lines and drawing their recruits from any world they came across rather than relying on any single world or group of worlds.

Because of this, many Insurgos warbands developed an extremely nihilistic attitude when compared to the legions from which they had broken away and thus became ever more brutal and callous as the shadow war wore on. Where in the legions, throughout the Insurrection the ideal of a heroic death held firm, within the Insurgos warbands it rapidly became laughable for they knew that they would die unremembered in a skirmish fought on the furthest flung front of the Insurrection, remembered only by brothers who valued their armour and the equipment they carried more highly than they did their life.

However, while it and the legionaries who fought it have gone unremembered in histories of the Insurrection, the shadow war had an undoubtable impact upon the course of the Insurrection for as Icarion had intended, it delayed a disproportionate number of loyalist forces who could have been deployed to the battlegrounds of the galactic core had the shadow war not been waged. Not only that but it hammered the Insurgos in the fires of war, forging them into a force of brutally effective killers whose only concern was efficiency, with no thought given to concepts such as honour. Who would punch well above their comparatively meagre numbers in later campaigns of the Insurrection. 

How would the Insurgo Iron Bears, Dune Serpents and the Morning Stars go about prosecuting such a campaign?

So, I've decided to go with my friend's recommendation and get the Acheron. However, now I have an additional $25 from my grandpa as my last birthday card/check. Then, my boss from my internship, as a thank you/going away present, gave me a $50 Amazon gift card. 

Thus, I'm contemplating new options. $75 isn't much in terms of FW, GW, and art, so I'm also considering some foam trays exclusively for the Wardens I have, including Alex. Out of curiosity, if people were suddenly given a small amount of money solely for their projects, what would y'all get?

More tanks. More dreads. Also I apologize for mostly being on lurk mode as of late.

Not a problem, Redd. The big thing coming up that concerns you is the Traitor Iron Bear clans are going to need some detail soon.

That's easy. Art, of course. As I don't play, commissioning art is way easier to explain to my boss aka wife. :P

Maybe a group shot of my main characters (the leaders of the most important tribes): Thoruk, Shaka, Durot and Odanka. Maybe even Cassus and Adewale but something tells me that I should leave those two to the imaginations of the reader.