General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

Preds were (before Cassus reformed them) a bunch of loners. Everyone was caring for himself. Nevertheless, they were successfull, yet brutal, combatants. Can even imagine that the suicidal missions might fit them as nearly everyone wanted to see them disbanded except the Emperor. Then came Cassus, their first Praetor and turned them into a savage, yet noble and honorable, force (comparable with the crusading Mandalorians of the Star Wars EU).

They fought Craftworld Umare, which tried to establish a realm for both, human and Eldar. Instead of following the path of Biel-Tan or other big Craftworlds, Umare tried a diplomatic way on order to save their race within this new Imperium. Alex might have liked them. ;)

Edited by Kelborn

*winces* Well, you just made the Warmaster's job a little harder. 

Looks like the Craftworld I picked is unharmed, thankfully. While Eldrad makes the arrangments, his role is kept secret. Instead of Ulthwé, Craftworld Il-Kaithe will join the Imperium, for they hate Chaos above all things and see this as a chance to really strike back at the Primordial Annihilator. 

Out of curiosity, would Umare, after a period of suspicious observation of this new alliance, be willing to try diplomacy again down the road?

That would require some survivors of Umare. ^^

I must admit that I'm not an Eldar expert, so would annihilating a small Craftworld plus a couple of allied Croneworlds be too much for an Astartes Legion?

Intended to let the bloodthirsty tribes like the Bloodlords or Goredrinker drown the Croneworlds in blood as they are the seat of the Eldar / human settlements. Rest of the Legion would attack Umare directly, resulting in its annihilation. If this is too much, please let me know.

Whatever may come, I'm ready to let the fate of possible survivors up to you. :)

From my pov, I rather think that they would go the same road as Biel-Tan, although being rejected by Biel-Tan for having allied themselves with humans.

If Eldar are above such "human" feelings like revenge, they may be willing to hear Alex' words.

Yep demus is right. When slaaneesh fed upon the eldar, their galactic empire created the warp rift known as eye of terror and the empire consisted of the croneworlds. But exodite worlds can be nice goals for the predators.

That would require some survivors of Umare. ^^

I must admit that I'm not an Eldar expert, so would annihilating a small Craftworld plus a couple of allied Croneworlds be too much for an Astartes Legion?

After some internet research, here was what I learned. Three Craftworlds have been directly destroyed by the Imperium. Mor'rioh'i was destroyed by Horus and the Luna Wolves. Idharae was destroyed by the Invaders Chapter in 40k. Finally, Thuyela was destroyed by the Space Wolves, maybe only by the 10th Great Company. 

So, yes. A minor Craftworld can't hope to survive an all-out attack by a full Legion.

Apparently wifi is too weak to edit posts. Ho hum.

Anyway, evocative names for a Greater Daemon born from the First Great Terran War? Haven't quite determined his look, except that a gas mask might be the basis of its face, and there'll be barbed wire.

The Corpse/Meat Grinder? He Who Stalks The Trenches? The Machine of War/War Machine? The Walking Desolation? The Devourer Of Generations? (referencing the "Lost Generation", the countless millions of young people who died in the Great War) The Butcher Of Innocence? The Death Of Honour?

Thinking about, perhaps two daemons could be born of the First World War, one Khornate representing the horrendous bloodshed and widespread destruction and one Nurgle, to represent the rampant disease, death and use of early chemical weapons at battle like the Somme.

The Khornate Daemon could reflect the single-minded, remorseless mindset of the military of the day as well as the terrifying new weapons of war that were developed and deployed during this time, it's flesh being covered in machine guns and bayonet blades and armour plating melded into it's body, it's face hidden behind a cold iron mask and helmet.

I'm picturing the Nurgle Daemon being this ungodly tall, emaciated, almost-skeletal figure in the tattered remains of what looks like a uniform (with a ragged greatcoat) entangled and pierced through with rusted barbed wire as well as torn open at the chest to reveal it's open ribcage, filled to the brim with corpses, mud and ravenous, bloated Rats. It's face a half rotted gas mask with partially broken eye lenses revealing sunken, milky pupilless eyes clouded like a corpse's, it's every wheezing, excruciating breath spewing mustard gas and other chemical weapons of the time from it's lipless maw beneath. It's knarled, boney fingers have rusty, filth-encrusted bayonets nailed onto them like lightning claws and it's lower torso and legs are hidden beneath a titanic "skirt" of rolling mud, bones and dead flesh.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Funny, I had the same image of that demon as you, Sangi.

I instantly thought about a Nurgle demon looking like a tattered soldier, still wearing his mask, with lethal gas streaming out of his body.

Funny, I had the same image of that demon as you, Sangi.

I instantly thought about a Nurgle demon looking like a tattered soldier, still wearing his mask, with lethal gas streaming out of his body.

Great minds think alike brother. ;)

I also had further ideas for the Daemons' appearances, for the Nurgle Daemon I'm envisioning it with a hunched posture and dozens of broken and corroded knives, swords and bayonet blades protruding from his back like spines.

The Khornate Daemon I imagine as being more metal than flesh, with guns and light artillery pieces melded into it's vile flesh, maybe one arm ending in a huge Obliterator-esque nest of rifle and machine gun barrels that can put out a nightmarish deluge of bullets, with a fleshy "turret" of light artillery guns on his back like the Marksmen malefactors from the PS2 Horror shooter game The Suffering, which coincidentally, is fantastic inspiration for designing Daemons as all the monsters are themed around various methods of executions, the aforementioned Marksmen being themed after execution by firing squad.

EDIT: Image for reference

1655077-marksmanconcept.jpg

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Yes. Reckon I'm going on with Desolation's Reaver.

There should be a trifecta of greater daemons born from WW1, with a Tzeentchian third

Yes. Reckon I'm going on with Desolation's Reaver.

There should be a trifecta of greater daemons born from WW1, with a Tzeentchian third representing the perversity of the outbreak of war.

I'd draw on trench foot and rot for the Nurglite daemon more than poison gas.

Apparently the iPad doesn't edit. Anyway, teaser!

Nothing living thing had ever towered over (thinking Niklaas or Hectarion, could serve as a nemesis of sorts to Hec as he tries to reach Terra in the wake of the Blood Crusade) before in quite this way. He had faced any number of creatures larger than him, certainly, but this had presence, an aura of power and malice beyond anything he had seen.

It was… familiar. Aspects of it, rather, recalling his studies of the First Pan-Terran War. Its flesh was earthen brown where it was not blood-red, thickets of metal spikes protruding from it. Acrid smoke, with the hint of phosphor and chlorine, trailed in ropes from a mouth like an archaic filter-mask. The left hand was encased in barbed wire that trailed in whips, glimmering brass like all the other metal that festooned it. In the right, an axe that didn't seem to have begun life as an axe, but a shovel, its edges honed to a sharpness impossible for any ordinary weapon.