HH to remain using 7th ed rules

I'm hopeful that they shift HH to 8th ed soon. Not only so that I can continue to play with a wider pool of opponents, but also bc the basics that they have shown us so far have intrigued me.
Also, it appears that the HH rules are structurally fairly compatible with the new army construction (reliance on key words, different force orgs/additional rules keeping in one faction). Legion rules effectively use the keyword system already and similar to AoS allow special war gear based on your faction. And if 8th becomes more deadly overall, it'll feel more like 30k to me.

Also, I bought my black book just for the Alpha legion fluff and artwork, even though its rules were outdated and I personally have  gotten my money's worth out of my ebook versions of the Red Books. Its probably a little sad for folks with Talons, SW, and Thousand Sons that their current rules may only last for a relatively short time, but to me they are more about the army and story than the rules (since you could get them via battlescribe and internet). I imagine the campaign rules in the Black Books will still be workable in the new edition so that's something.

I'm hopeful that they shift HH to 8th ed soon. Not only so that I can continue to play with a wider pool of opponents, but also bc the basics that they have shown us so far have intrigued me.

Also, it appears that the HH rules are structurally fairly compatible with the new army construction (reliance on key words, different force orgs/additional rules keeping in one faction). Legion rules effectively use the keyword system already and similar to AoS allow special war gear based on your faction. And if 8th becomes more deadly overall, it'll feel more like 30k to me.

Also, I bought my black book just for the Alpha legion fluff and artwork, even though its rules were outdated and I personally have  gotten my money's worth out of my ebook versions of the Red Books. Its probably a little sad for folks with Talons, SW, and Thousand Sons that their current rules may only last for a relatively short time, but to me they are more about the army and story than the rules (since you could get them via battlescribe and internet). I imagine the campaign rules in the Black Books will still be workable in the new edition so that's something.

Fully implementing the key word system would also fix some currently questionable wording choices floating around in some of the books.  (*cough*Inferno*cough*)  What *is* a Legio Custodes unit, anyways?

A major positive for anyone who regularly played against 40k armies is that formation are gone! I for one, am very excited for this.

I'm interested to see if the Detachments used in 8th will be adopted by the Age of Darkness system (whenever it transfers from 7th), or whether it will continue to use the AoD force organisation chart.

Most Rites of War are currently worded to work with both Primary & Allied Detachments as is, so combining these with the 12 different Detachment types could create the opportunity to have some really cool army lists, as well as reducing the need for some Rites of War to move around units between slots.

A major positive for anyone who regularly played against 40k armies is that formation are gone! I for one, am very excited for this.

I'm interested to see if the Detachments used in 8th will be adopted by the Age of Darkness system (whenever it transfers from 7th), or whether it will continue to use the AoD force organisation chart.

Most Rites of War are currently worded to work with both Primary & Allied Detachments as is, so combining these with the 12 different Detachment types could create the opportunity to have some really cool army lists, as well as reducing the need for some Rites of War to move around units between slots.

If the examples on the Warhammer Community website are anything to go by, then Detachments will be just like the alternative FoC charts used by AoD Forces. Although it looks like GW will be creating some that will be just for different point scales, also going by the examples. But it's possible that we might see more that are made up similar to Rites of War as well. Or not.

If the examples on the Warhammer Community website are anything to go by, then Detachments will be just like the alternative FoC charts used by AoD Forces. Although it looks like GW will be creating some that will be just for different point scales, also going by the examples. But it's possible that we might see more that are made up similar to Rites of War as well. Or not.

Yeah, I was presuming with 12, ther'll likely be Fast Attack (& Flyer?), Elite & Heavy Support - weighted variants

Same holds true for the 'new' transport capacity rules .... just stuff models inside 'til capacity is reached ... mix and match multiple units, ICs etc.

This as well as the 'characters can't join units anymore' scenario were obviously thought to prevent future death stars.

Both ideas seem to fail. 

Making death stars even more viable.

Same holds true for the 'new' transport capacity rules .... just stuff models inside 'til capacity is reached ... mix and match multiple units, ICs etc.

I don't think that has officially been mentioned anywhere has it?

I don't think that has officially been mentioned anywhere has it?

I'd like to know as well lol. Keep em in the back and you're going to get a deepstrike lascannon where the sun don't shine. Keep em in the middle and recon marines going to pick em off.

Think about the new AoS dwarf zeppelins.

I am, and the first thing to come to mind is how they use keywords to allow embarkation. The zepplins can only carry the infantry of the skydwarfs, nothing else has the "skyfarer" keyword; you can't cram mega combos of dudes from other factions in to make a party bus (though you can totally party bus with all the blimp dwarfs, a ton will die once it crashes though). Sure you could put all 4 of your heroes in....but then you dont get to use any of their command abilities, traits, and other buffs while their inside.

A big thing in AoS is that you need to be using your abilities from your heroes; utility is often taken over the most beat stick characters, because synergy is that important. It really looks like they're moving that way for 40k too, so a list that crams all their characters into a land raider will most likely lose out big time.

Just keeps getting more and more disappointing. Would have loved for them to release the last 3 legion characters in 7th edition, but I guess I will have to come to terms with 8th edition. Sorry for being negative but not everyone will like this new edition.

I have like no interest in playing 7th edition HH. Its grown pretty stale.

I didn't want to say this! My most recent game against Salamenders was awful (and not because I lost after two failed morale checks lost me 25+ models). My opponent was a bit of a stickler which isn't in itself an issue, but my GOD the amount of double checking, debating, etc in regards to cover saves, vehicle weapon arcs, look out sir rolls and so on...

I think it really is time for a change!

I have like no interest in playing 7th edition HH. Its grown pretty stale.

I didn't want to say this! My most recent game against Salamenders was awful (and not because I lost after two failed morale checks lost me 25+ models). My opponent was a bit of a stickler which isn't in itself an issue, but my GOD the amount of double checking, debating, etc in regards to cover saves, vehicle weapon arcs, look out sir rolls and so on...

I think it really is time for a change!

I second that.

Time to find new people to play with. ;)

I'm actually quite happy with the new weapon rules especially double tap at all times with twin linked. However, all the points will have to be rewritten for 30k if they go with 8th as combi weapons will go into God level at the current points. 5-7 points for unlimited use combi weapons as well as 8 shot Spartan lascannons will be redunculous :O

Could please some intelligent dude mathhammer if 4 twin linked or 8 normal shots are better?

@skimaskMohawk: I second that. I guess because it needs thinking and having a plan. Micromanagement is key to win but not easy to master, hence so "many" people (at least here) are happy that GW got rid of that.

If we get a straight up port of these rules, most people won't take combi weapons as they will probably now cost 20 per pop. I also am legit sad about both the removal of templates and the new mechanic. You have to roll random shots and still roll to hit. If they'd gone down that route it should have been D6 + X to make it a bit more predictable. No collateral damage either. What a bummer.

So......before i put my achilles Alpha on ebay......would they be worth keeping for 30k now?

Twin-Linked doubles the shots of the weapon now instead of re-rolling.

So, twin-linked Culverins is 8 shots instead of 4 shots re-rolling misses. Spartans potentially have 8 lascannon shots now if they remain the same.

Archived