HH to remain using 7th ed rules

The release dates have been a year between Books 1 and 2, 8 months between 2 and 3, 7 months between 3 and 4, 7 months between 4 and 5, 10 months between 5 and 6, and finally 13 months between 6 and 7.

If I remember the math for averages right, that's an average of 9.5 months between releases. That would be December-January, which are months none of the books have been released in. More than likely, unless Forgeworld really hauled butt, February or next March would be the earliest we should expect to see Angelus. If they really hauled butt, then October or November are a couple of other months they release books in, which would only be 7-8 months after Inferno.

So it could be this year, but I'd look forward to early next year.

I think it very safe to assume that right now, Angelus, Imperial Armour etc are all benched as FW need to go about re-issuing rules for everything that's currently in 40K in time for launch day - they don't have any alternative seeing as soon as 8th drops everything in every Imperial Armour book currently in print is invalid. And without rules, that means no one is buying the models to game with so they can't afford a single day without those being out in the wide world. HH has a bit of a grace period because they need to sit down and work out how the new rules in place will affect the balance of the game they put in place which is a more time intensive investment.

As far as Angelus goes, whether it's loaded for 7th or 8th is up for debate right now, I'd imagine that the content being worked on would be the background/story elements rather than units/points etc purely as they already have a baseline for the LA rules for the DA/BA/NL and daemons are daemons.  Not saying they wouldn't make tweaks but the stuff they'd be doing from the ground up would take precedence, also giving them time to make a decision on how the units inside are going to be utilised in terms of their profiles/points cost.

I wouldn't expect to see it this year (if 8th wasn't dropping I think it would have) but given the edition change is incoming and (to outward appearances) FW haven't been told (again) then that's likely to bump the workflow back a couple of months, especially since Vol VIII will need a similar size print run to Inferno (yeah DA/BA aren't probably quite as popular as SW but the interest in this book will be huge)

It makes no sense to write books for an abandoned system. And we all know how slow is FW. Let's get real.

The fact that they are slow is the problem. They probably learned too late in the planning stages that 8th was going to drop and couldn't steer the titanic away from the iceberg.

^Yup. Or why the rules section in Inferno is a mess but the fluff sections felt pretty clean (anecdotal, but it felt like there were less typos than usual). Or why Fires of Cyraxus seems to have been shelved for a long while now. Or why at the '17 Weekender, they said they hadn't really started on HH Book 8 beyond the art design. I bet FW has known for a while. The real question is how long they've actually been working with the new rules system, or when they were allowed to start looking at it...

It means Adeptus Titanicus may find a release slot this year though, as long as they've sorted out what models might be in plastic. It's on a different rules system and its production shouldn't be affected by the 8E switch. 

If the info on playtests for 8th is anything to go by, they've been going on since at least Adepticon if not the LVO so roughly around Inferno's official release.

So, with lead times for products, we can assume that this has been in production since 2016 if we're being generous.

It's easy to throw stones when one primarch needs a gentleman's agreement on the psychic tree to roll on, wolves have some bad editing, and custodes having worse editing and missing war gear. This gets compounded when they pushed the book back for so long due to "balance reasons". Is the consensus now that FW just threw their hands up in the air and stopped caring after they pushed it back by 3 books?

I'm sure there was talk to push Inferno back again and have it a proper 8th edition release. In the short run though it did push a lot of sales, but the rules were all over the place, it's probably one of the fastest out dated books Fw has released.

I think they had just come too far. I'm sure it was meant to be out with the prospero box so if that did happen, it would of added another 4/5 months to its shelf life. But by this point they had come to far so obviously still had to release it in Feb

What does infernos release date have to do with us not having to use Age of Sigmarine rules?

Nothing. I believe the point was people who purchased it would have gotten more value out of the book because the book would have been released 4/5 month longer before the rules were rendered obsolete. More potential games with the rules over a longer time period versus what we will have gotten when HH actually moves to 8th.

What does infernos release date have to do with us not having to use Age of Sigmarine rules?

Nothing. I believe the point was people who purchased it would have gotten more value out of the book because the book would have been released 4/5 month longer before the rules were rendered obsolete. More potential games with the rules over a longer time period versus what we will have gotten when HH actually moves to 8th.

Which is weird since they're complaining about the proof editing, blah blah blah. So really, they'd just have four to five months of complaining and moaning more than anything. Especially if all Forgeworld is doing now is just transferring to 8th. So really it's just the usual "It's not fair!" that's been going on since Betrayal was released in 2012 with only 4 Legions.

Which is weird since they're complaining about the proof editing, blah blah blah. So really, they'd just have four to five months of complaining and moaning more than anything. Especially if all Forgeworld is doing now is just transferring to 8th. So really it's just the usual "It's not fair!" that's been going on since Betrayal was released in 2012 with only 4 Legions.

^^ This !

It's a shame, I think, 30K in 7th worked pretty well without most of the issues of 40K in the same edition, so I would have appreciated having a complete FW ruleset for it. I guess that was never possible though, since I had overlooked Scars not being in there.  And yes, book 7 is a mess but I buy those books for the art and background anyway.  Whenever Angelus is released, that part will be the same quality, so I guess the functional crunch doesn't matter as much. Sucks for those three Legions not to have their Primarchs or unique units, though. I guess someone has to be left holding the poo-end of the stick.

I'm betting 8th, if they plan on going full on 8th (which I assume they will), there is no incentive for them to publish another book in 7th. For everyone that wants it in 7th so that they can ignore the existence of 8th there will be people who are annoyed that it was rendered obsolete do to 8th and have to buy another book for the 8th edition rules.

I was partially trolling. Couldn't help myself. 
Now I'm iffy of the answers of 8th. While so far I like what I've read about 8th, sounds good to me, I'm not sure I like the First legion in the first book using 8th edition rules in 30K. 
I actually feel bad for the earlier armies that'll have to wait I hope they don't have to wait too long. I know some people will be really annoyed with the wait. Hopefully the formula they're using for 8th will make for an easy update for the earlier army books. Heck I'm sure it's frustrating to the FW staff as well. 

I don't think it will really be a case of the them being the first but being the first black book. They will probably do with HH what they are doing with 40k and will release a new edition of red books putting them into 8th edition before or along side the release of Book VIII (should my assumptions prove to be correct).

most of the vehicles will be done due to having access in 40k. also mk4 marines etc... are available in 40k so stats will be done, it's just the Legion rules and any 30k specific rules.

Obvs mechanicum and Auxilia too will take a bit of time

I have a feeling they woukd have been working on it for a bit and with the 40k team more than in the past. The GW machine is so much different these days that I just can't see them having this "them and us" divide anymore

Archived