HH to remain using 7th ed rules

Having seen more and more of 8th edition, the HH staying in 7th for the time being is a great disappointment.

Not only is 8th looking better, more streamlined and more dynamic, but my potential opponent pool is being massively diminished :-(

... invalidating all the precious leather-bound and red books. 

And while I really dig 'em bringing back armour save modifiers from second edition / RT days, the whole package looks way to much like Age of Sigmar to me, sorry.

... invalidating all the precious leather-bound and red books.

And while I really dig 'em bringing back armour save modifiers from second edition / RT days, the whole package looks way to much like Age of Sigmar to me, sorry.

I second that.

Having watched some AoS batreps to get in the groove of the new edition I can't help but...

Well, at least I'll give it a shoot but it looks so shallow.

It reminds me of the transition between second and third.

Black books are still good. All those pretty pictures and fluff. Only reason I bought massacre was for night Lords. Money well spent.

As for game play. Let's get it on. New ways to play, new tactics. Just you watch the weeping commence as everything anyone ever said was naff comes back to haunt them. :devil:

They've changed the pages now....

Instead they all say:

A new, updated edition of Warhammer 40,000 is arriving soon. 

Games set during The Horus Heresy using Forge World's Battles in the Age of Darkness expansion will continue to use the rules set out in the current edition of Warhammer 40,000. Please check our Facebook page for further information

Right, and their Facebook page has no announcement yet and the Warhammer Digital page remains the same. They really need to stop sending mixed messages and get on the same page as a company. This isn't something that will build up hype if you save the announcement for Warhammer Fest. It's going to cause consumer anxiety. Reactionary folks are already selling their Heresy collections. I honestly don't care which way they go, either. 

People who sell their armies as reactions to edition changes are just plain stupid even more so with ones who rant about it online (I mean those fools who create YouTube videos on how GW ruined it ) end of the day comes down to you and your club whether or not you want to play with the new edition

I really hope 30k stays in an updated 7th Edition.

They could use 8th as a core rulebook but then have a Heresy "expansion" rulebook that shifts a lot of things back to a 7th edition feel. I don't think that's too unlikely. The cynical part of me knows it's how they could sell two books to more people instead of just 1 rulebook each to two separate groups.

I honestly hope we dont stay in the unwieldy and overly complex-for-no-reason 7th ed.

I, for one, definitely won't be missing Morale where a 20 man squad, losing one model in CC, can evaporate due to bad rolls when fighting vs a singular model. A rare occurrence? Sure. But one that won't be possible in 8th and all the better. Or any scenario that makes you go "Wait....what!? WHY!? HOW!?!" with regards to morale. I'd rather lose a few more models in large squads than have the WHOLE ENTIRE THING disappear due to bad rolls.

Additionally, depending on how Fearless change or if its even a thing, then the frustrating hilarity that is the way-too-cheap-for-what-they-can-do Fearless-Rending Levy Blob AKA "Tarpit of doom" will be a thing of the past.

Also, expensive vehicles in general no longer (until we see more that is) being under constant threat of being instagibbed is a godsend. Oh, spend a TON of points on your Spartan/Leviathan/Land Raider/etc? Well, it would be a shame if it were suddenly vaped off the table by a singular shot from a singular gun "Because RNG" FUN TIMES.

New edition where theyre actually trying to make a relatively balanced playing field means that FW have an even easier baseline to update the HH upon.

So, yeah, bring on the new edition, I welcome the change. I'm loving everything I've been reading from GW.

I honestly hope we dont stay in the unwieldy and overly complex-for-no-reason 7th ed.

I, for one, definitely won't be missing Morale where a 20 man squad, losing one model in CC, can evaporate due to bad rolls when fighting vs a singular model. A rare occurrence? Sure. But one that won't be possible in 8th and all the better. Or any scenario that makes you go "Wait....what!? WHY!? HOW!?!" with regards to morale. I'd rather lose a few more models in large squads than have the WHOLE ENTIRE THING disappear due to bad rolls.

Additionally, depending on how Fearless change or if its even a thing, then the frustrating hilarity that is the way-too-cheap-for-what-they-can-do Fearless-Rending Levy Blob AKA "Tarpit of doom" will be a thing of the past.

Also, expensive vehicles in general no longer (until we see more that is) being under constant threat of being instagibbed is a godsend. Oh, spend a TON of points on your Spartan/Leviathan/Land Raider/etc? Well, it would be a shame if it were suddenly vaped off the table by a singular shot from a singular gun "Because RNG" FUN TIMES.

New edition where theyre actually trying to make a relatively balanced playing field means that FW have an even easier baseline to update the HH upon.

So, yeah, bring on the new edition, I welcome the change. I'm loving everything I've been reading from GW.

First of all you are right on the vehicle part.

I myself was hoping since 5th that they'll do just that.

It just solves so many problems.

Nur in the other hand you complaint about a unit running away because of one loss.

How many times had that happened to you?

I play at least one game per week and I can't remember even one occasion in which that happened.

And by the way they are not dead after that. They still can make a run for it if they are fast enough.

Anyways.

Maybee it happens a lot to you als your friends.

That is still no reason to kill the whole leadership system.

Not. At. All.

They could have just tweaked a little like you loose a couple of dudes if you run away or something like that but complete annihilate the whole thing just because of that?

What?!

I tell you why they've changed it. It's faster. That's the only reason and to be honest the only reason they changed everything else.

Killing vehicle rules?

It's faster.

Killing special rules?

It's fastet.

Killing leadership (fear, pinning etc)?

It's faster.

Oh and in exchange they give us those crappy rules.

Why they're crappy?

Because :cussing marines doesn't give a flying :cuss about that.

As far as we know Marines have Leadership 7 know.

Morale works like that:

If ya loosing more models than you have to roll a dice and add your leadership.

In the case of Marines that is at least 8 (w6 plus 7).

Now you substract that number from you casualties.

So unless GW has some other modifications in their pocket that means you have to loose at least 9 guys to feel the pain.

Usually Marines don't have such huge numbers in their units and even if they do the unit is screwed anyway if they loose 9 guys in one swing.

Is it just me or where is the benefit out of that?

Only weak opponents in large numbers will suffer.

Yeah, great job GW .

You meantioned fearless cultists and right so. Horrible effective for almost no cost.

I give you that.

But wouldn't it be easier to just Change the damn Imperilalis Militia list or just bring the very cool rule for additional wounds in Case of fearless opponents back we had in 4th (?)?

Or think of a system which hits everyone and not only crap units?

That's my whole point.

They make an new system and right from start even I can see it's flaws.

But we have to wait until the whole new edition is available. There may be things we don't know yet.

I lost a game last week after a veteran squad and 20 man Tac blob unit were both swept up after losing combats by 1.

Give me 8th.

Edit:

I should also mention I was playing against a 40k army. That's something I soon won't be able to do!

Lol it's funny now. I was sulking at the time!

I guess so.

Good story though. :D

It's not a new system, it's the two year old AoS system. And it works fine.

Oh don't get me wrong.

Of course the new edition will work just fine.

Since I play a lot against people who are either new to the hobby or just doesn't bother reading the rules it'll be a huge improvement on my part. Finally I won't have to explain CC anymore. ;)

And for tournament players it will be good as well.

Less rules mean less arguments about rules.

The thing is it won't fulfill my needs. :)

For games around 2000 points I'll stay with 7th edition.

But I guess for bigger games the new game will be better suited.

Not only because it is faster. You still have to do something in the opponents turn.

Actually to be more precise it's heavily influenced from the old fearless rules if a fearless unit lost combat they had to take more wounds the same way the battleshock rule works. I just hope characters will still be able to join units as they can't in AOS but will suck if your HQ can't join and be confusing for transports as well

Archived