+++ Hidden Hands of the Emperor +++

Valaas

I only got it because there appeared to be a flash sale on the compressor last week!
Ended up getting the brush, compressors and necessary accessories for the same price as the compressor without discount! :D

Now to figure out how to use it... 

I only got it because there appeared to be a flash sale on the compressor last week!

Ended up getting the brush, compressors and necessary accessories for the same price as the compressor without discount! :biggrin.:

Now to figure out how to use it... 

I'm still learning how to use mine (Badger Patriot 105 and TC910 Compressor). 

One of the tips I came across to learn was to start with nothing but water loaded in the gun and printer paper. Its a great way to get a feel for pressure/flow/controls. Then from there start with primer (preferably something like Vallejo thats designed for a brush and doesn't require thinning). Test with that on paper, then on a model. Baby steps.

Also don't get discouraged over setup and teardown (for cleaning). I frequently find myself dreading getting it out just because of the time investment in setup and tear down, but once you get it out and going things move fast.

Race I'm getting ready to post all my final stuff. I noticed that a lot of the stuff I put on Photobucket are gone now because of having to pay.

Do you need me to resubmit the 'before shots' of anything?

Also, I'm adding a pledge (that i did about a month and a half ago):

I, Rocmistro (aka 9x19 Parabellum), for the glory of the Raven Guard, vow to complete 5 Lascannon devastator squad by 11:59 PM on September 15, 2017.

Here are the before photos:

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_46214.gif  (this shows the 10 man tac kit that I used to make the 5 assault marines, finished in July, and this 5 man group of devastators)

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_138992.gif (partially assembled and primed)

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_204148.gif (as above)

And now completed:

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_28344.png

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_75073.jpg

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_58523.jpg

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_51743.jpg

Also, on page 5 when I made my initial vow, I vowed a stormtalon gunship for my flyer.  I finally got the model a couple weeks ago and assembled/primed it. It's the last thing I have to do, aside from the Race Bannon challenge, for all my pledges to be done.

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_4646.jpg

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13406/gallery_95196_13406_91786.jpg

Personally, about the photos, my OCD won't let me have dead pics out there.  So, that's really up to you.  For this event, if they were there before and the organizers used it as official, then I would think you are good :tu:

So another distraction vow...

I, Duz_, for the Raven Guard Chapter, vow to complete one Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons Squad by 11:59 PM on September 15, 2017.

gallery_87434_11578_169455.jpg

And as it so happens I actually did this all a couple of weeks back I just hadn't got around to posting it.

So vow complete!

gallery_87434_11578_521147.jpg

Air brush shows up tomorrow... will I have enough time to learn how to use it and paint my stormhawk by Friday...

Primaris Lieutenant (HQ) - VOW COMPLETE

IMG 20170830 070514

Will get better photos, from several angles, up on my 4th Company PLOG, once the challenge is completed on Friday.

My next and most likely final Vow.....

I, Valaas, for the glory of the Raven Guard and 4th Company, vow to complete one Space Marine Tactical Squad (Troops) by 11:59 PM on September 15, 2017.

IMG 20170913 101205

Will also be a big update on the Manta build in the Tau Forum on Thursday.

Cheer,

Valaas

Edited by Valaas

Ok then I'm just about done. I'll get better pictures of all units, but here's the diorama shot I put together last night at like 1 AM. The Gunship is not done yet, but it's getting very close and I was excited to put together a diorama style shot, so here it is:

gallery_95196_13406_27596.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_5500.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_22360.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_8743.jpg

Key for last photo:

1.) 5 lascannon devastators

2.) 3 devastator centurions with grav cannons

3.) 2 Company Veterans with stormshield and plasma guns

4.) 1 Captain with relic blade and plasma pistol

5.) 1 Company/Chapter Ancient

6.) 2 Honor Guard with Boltguns and power axes

7.) 5 assault marines with 2 flamers and 1 grav pistol

8.) 5 Vanguard Veterans with 8x lightning claws and 1x thunder hammer/stormshield

9.) 10 scouts with bolters, 1 heavy bolter, and sgt with combimelta and power hammer

10.) 5 scouts with camo cloaks and sniper rifles

11.) 1 land speeder storm "Umbra" with heavy bolter

12.) 5 (4) magnetized and removable scouts with boltguns

13.) 3 bikes, sgt with grav pistol

14.) 1 Hunter/Rhino "Dust Clad" magnetized backplate for multiple configurations

15.) 1 Land Raider Crusader "Ajax"

16.) 1 Storm raven gunship with typhoon missiles

There you go. 3 months, 16 units comprising 50 models (4 vehicles, 46 infantry/bikes) essentially a full (or almost full) battalion.

It can be done. Paint your models.

PAINT YOUR MODELS!!!!

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Very nice, and speedy work! Here I sit in the hobby a little over a year and finally finished my 5th unit... I am admittedly a slow painter though and I don't have a lot of time.

Also I dig your captain model. I really want that so I can build Solaq but I have too much other stuff ahead of it.

For someone just starting out that is equal parts terrifying and inspirational. What kind out hours were out putting in to achieve that? Really nice work!

Thank you!  My hourly 'log' was pretty sporadic.  I hit the ground running when the contest was first announced in June. I had already had the idea to start a new Space Marine army; I wanted something different to my Blood Angels, and I wanted a different playstyle, but also a different color palette and wanted to be able to use all the models that I couldn't in my Blood Angels codex.  Now, this was still 7th edition when I had made up my mind to do a new army, so I was specifically interested in: Honor Guard, Venerable and Ironclad Dreads, Land Speeder Storms, Centurions, Hunters and Stalkers, Stormtalon Gunship and Thunderfire Cannons.

Anyway, I digress...the point is, I was excited already to get started, and when I saw the HHotE pledges, it was the perfect kickerto the project.  In June and 1st half of July I would paint every night, generally, for about 3-4 hours.  Things backed off mid July when my wife and I went on vacation and, after that, when we got home, we adopted a new puppy.  So the entire month of August was kind of a bust for me. Now the puppy is settling down, sleeping through the night and not acting like a total whackjob when we get home from work, so I've been able to settle back into my usual painting routine for the last couple weeks; just in time, as it were.

What I find works best for me is the following:

-do NOT paint where your "horde" of models are.  I recommend bringing 5-10 models (whatever your short term goal is) to a different area from your 'gaming room' and only having those models in the immediate vicinity.   Seeing a massive backlog of models to be painted right in front of you can be depressing and demoralizing, so don't put all your stuff in a place that's easy to see.

-similar to above, don't paint in your game room because of distractions. Often times I've gotten distacted and ended up playing a game of Armada against myself, or other games.

-marry a woman who supports, or at least is not critical of, your hobby.  My wife is pretty damn cool about my gaming.  (adjust gender pronouns here to suit your particular situation)

-Make this promise to yourself: you cannot buy any more models of a given type until/unless you paint at least 2 others of the same general type that you already have.  Want to buy that shiny new box of 5 cataphractii terminators? First you need to finish those 10 Sternguard Veterans.

-Memorize this little nugget of wisdom:How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

You have a fine-looking army, 9x19 Parabellum.

Thanks, Bjorn!

Very nice, and speedy work! Here I sit in the hobby a little over a year and finally finished my 5th unit... I am admittedly a slow painter though and I don't have a lot of time.

Also I dig your captain model. I really want that so I can build Solaq but I have too much other stuff ahead of it.

Thanks, Warriorhunter. See my above comments.

Yeah, the captain is from the Solaq kit but I gave him the relic blade from the vanguard veteran sprue.

You have a fine-looking army, 9x19 Parabellum.

Vow complete(ish).

Lack of funds is causing me to mark these as complete for now, being at 3 colour minimum for the table top while I wait for funds to get the missing paints I ran out of while doing these.

20170913_125212.jpg

It's frustrating for me more than anybody else, I'm just lucky I managed to do what I did.

Here are some close ups of the Stormtalon Gunship that I brought to work this morning (I'll sometimes doing a little painting during my lunch break at my desk).

All I have left to do on this guy is:

1-metallic/chrome highlights

2-runefang steel highlights on all the metal 'studs'

3-transfers

4-clean up (apply black over the eshin grey edge highlights that didn't go on neatly; black over the 'clear' part of the transfer that can sometimes show up)

Purchased, 8.14.17

gallery_95196_13406_4646.jpg

Assembled and primed, 9.9.17 to 9.11.17

gallery_95196_13406_91786.jpg

Almost done painting, 9.11.17 to 9.13.17

gallery_95196_13406_2677.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_35039.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_13174.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_302.jpg

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

I, Filius, complete my vow, kinda last minute. But I guess that's the ravenguardish way: Strike in the last minute, if I remeber correctly …

http://dark-and.grim.rocks/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/09/vow-completed-raven-guard-captain.jpg

Anyhow … I'm not too happy how he turned out, and on the photograph I just noticed some mistakes I hadn't seen before …but on the other hand, given what real life threw against me completing that vow, I'm very happy I finally got that one finished.

And: It's been a pleasure, hanging around with you ravenfolk. Good luck and steady brushes everyone for the final spurt!

http://dark-and.grim.rocks/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/09/vow-completed-raven-guard-captain.jpg

I should complain about how the Tyranid skull unbalances the jump pack and makes it dangerous to use, but the Capt. has a Tyranid skull mounted as a trophy on his jump pack. That's too awesome to diminish with a pointless rant.

Ok, here's the Stormtalon Gunship, complete. Finished. Done.

On a side note, I figured out why all my camera photos are grainy/hazy...the camera lens cover is cracked! I cleared away the broken glass but I think the lens was damaged in the process. Anyway I spent a little time cleaning up the photos in Windows media manager to get better color saturation, etc. and I think it helped a little.

Without further ado, I present Stormtalon Gunship "Libertas"

gallery_95196_13406_220030.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_77569.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_312150.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_85790.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_4356.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_79675.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_273065.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_3199.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_118821.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_21446.jpg

gallery_95196_13406_115715.jpg

Having fully expected to complete a Storm Talon for this event, and not even managed to get it primed yet, yours has me hanging my head in shame. I will however be looking back at yours next week when I start on mine. Nice work!

Just over 48 hours to go in the UK and I'll be staggering over the finishing line with my single vow.

Having fully expected to complete a Storm Talon for this event, and not even managed to get it primed yet, yours has me hanging my head in shame. I will however be looking back at yours next week when I start on mine. Nice work!

Just over 48 hours to go in the UK and I'll be staggering over the finishing line with my single vow.

For what it's worth, this thing went REALLY fast. It was very easy to paint.  Especially if you don't spend as much time painting all the buttons and CLF (cool light factor) affects inside the cockpit,which, in hindsight, I would have skipped given how much the canopy obfuscates (side note on that though...the curing of the superglue really fogged up the canopy...and that is driving me nuts. At some point i'm going to break off the canopy, clean it up, and reattach it using even LESS superglue..which is made cuz I barely dotted it last time.  You can really see it in the top/middle part of the canopy in pics # 4,6 and 9)

The Land Speeder Storm, on the other hand, including the 6 crew (4 removable and 2 hard-attached) took FOREVER!!  I've come to realize anything that is open topped...you are in for a real treat.  That includes drop pods and Necron ghost arks with it's bajillion angles, edges, facades and so forth from all those structural bends.

For what it's worth, this thing went REALLY fast. It was very easy to paint. Especially if you don't spend as much time painting all the buttons and CLF (cool light factor) affects inside the cockpit,which, in hindsight, I would have skipped given how much the canopy obfuscates (side note on that though...the curing of the superglue really fogged up the canopy...and that is driving me nuts. At some point i'm going to break off the canopy, clean it up, and reattach it using even LESS superglue..which is made cuz I barely dotted it last time. You can really see it in the top/middle part of the canopy in pics # 4,6 and 9)

The Land Speeder Storm, on the other hand, including the 6 crew (4 removable and 2 hard-attached) took FOREVER!! I've come to realize anything that is open topped...you are in for a real treat. That includes drop pods and Necron ghost arks with it's bajillion angles, edges, facades and so forth from all those structural bends.

I don't know if you can clean the frosting off the clear plastic. That's where the fumes from the superglue have interacted with the plastic.

You are better off using Polystyrene Cement to fix clear plastic in place, and you can't tell it's glued usually.

For what it's worth, this thing went REALLY fast. It was very easy to paint. Especially if you don't spend as much time painting all the buttons and CLF (cool light factor) affects inside the cockpit,which, in hindsight, I would have skipped given how much the canopy obfuscates (side note on that though...the curing of the superglue really fogged up the canopy...and that is driving me nuts. At some point i'm going to break off the canopy, clean it up, and reattach it using even LESS superglue..which is made cuz I barely dotted it last time. You can really see it in the top/middle part of the canopy in pics # 4,6 and 9)

The Land Speeder Storm, on the other hand, including the 6 crew (4 removable and 2 hard-attached) took FOREVER!! I've come to realize anything that is open topped...you are in for a real treat. That includes drop pods and Necron ghost arks with it's bajillion angles, edges, facades and so forth from all those structural bends.

I don't know if you can clean the frosting off the clear plastic. That's where the fumes from the superglue have interacted with the plastic.

You are better off using Polystyrene Cement to fix clear plastic in place, and you can't tell it's glued usually.

I think I can probably scratch it off with an xacto.  Anyway it's worth a shot. Thanks for the tip on the cement, though. will definitely use that for the Stormraven (and this, if I ever fix it)